Cars of the Netflix Crown

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Bfastr
United States of America

#1 Cars of the Netflix Crown

Post by Bfastr » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:39 pm

I am not really one for this type of mini series, nor do I follow the Royal family, so this isnt about the Netflix depiction of them.

But my wife was watching I got sucked in because of the vintage cars they used.
I didnt think to make notes of all the cars and registration numbers but the few I did catch I googled and in a few cases I found info on the cars, one was a Rolls and the other the Triumph Vitesse.

I dont think I could take trying to re-watch or fast forward to re-capture the cars, I have a hard enough time sitting though most TV programs as it is !

I was wondering if anyone compiled a list of the cars?

There were a lot of Jags, Rolls Royces an Aston Martin and many I didnt recognize. very cool to see the cars used tho. a lot of closeups inside and out.

Bob F
Bob F

69 S2 E-type OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Cars of the Netflix Crown

Post by Heuer » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:56 pm

Full list, up to Series 2 here: https://imcdb.org/movie_4786824-The-Crown.html

Also a great site for any cars in film queries.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#3 Re: Cars of the Netflix Crown

Post by JerryL770 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:40 pm

David, you never cease to amaze me at your knowledge of "stuff", if not Jaguars.

Unfortunately I cannot follow up on this as the link does not appear to work, else I have to wait a long time!!
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bfastr
United States of America

#4 Re: Cars of the Netflix Crown

Post by Bfastr » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:55 pm

I should have known! and a site complete with pictures.
Thanks.

What has always intrigued me is the British way of assigning a reg number that then stays with the car forever (?)

here in the US with 50 states, there are 50 ways to do plates. some states the plate remains on the car, others it goes with the owner. we are more obsessed with the VIN number it seems.

the thing I noticed is some of the cars used in England appear in more than one movie, yet they still have the same, original registration number. which makes it easy to spot the same car.
again over here, they swap plates all the time in movies, to fit the location and or year.

Bob F
Bob F

69 S2 E-type OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#5 Re: Cars of the Netflix Crown

Post by Heuer » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:05 pm

Jerry

The link should work and I have just tested it from my Samsung phone and PC. Give it another go, could have been a site problem.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#6 Re: Cars of the Netflix Crown

Post by christopher storey » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:57 pm

David : the link certainly worked for me, thank you, and how fascinating it was ! I did notice, however, that some of the aircraft used were not in fact the correct ones, thus e.g. a DC4 ( or just possibly a DC6 ) for an Argonaut, easily recognisable by the radial engines instead of the Merlins of the Argonaut

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mach2andy
Great Britain

#7 Re: Cars of the Netflix Crown

Post by mach2andy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:12 pm

If any of you have been watching The Queens Gambit you may have spotted the cool car driven by Beth's friend Jolene. A '65 or '66 Chevy Corvair. When I say cool, I think it became known as a bit of a death trap because of some inherently poor handling characteristics. Nonetheless, the "poor mans Porsche" was quite innovotive with it's horizontally opposed rear mounted air cooled boxer engine. And one of the earlier variants was nearly but not quite the first production car with a turbo charged engine, pipped by a month or so by the Oldsmobile Jetfire.
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nick V12 e type
Great Britain

#8 Re: Cars of the Netflix Crown

Post by Nick V12 e type » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:26 pm

I’ve certainly enjoyed The Crown, including all the beautiful cars and street scenes.

I’ve often wondered if all of these ‘props’ sit in a large warehouse somewhere under common ownership or if individual owners make their cars available to the film and TV industry.

I imagine that one could place a car on a register ‘available for film and TV work’ @ £XXX per day.

Has any one done this?

Cheers
Nick
e type series 3 V12 2+2 1972, BMW iX 2023

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rossco_j
Australia

#9 Re: Cars of the Netflix Crown

Post by rossco_j » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:26 pm

I don't want to hijack the thread. In response to Nick, one of my cars, the mini, was used in a government ad promoting E10. The advertising company put out a call to local car clubs for "talent". My mini was chosen. Half a day on set with a good payment for 4 seconds of screen time...Watch closely.
Ross
1972 Series 3 E Type 2+2
1972 MGB GT
1965 Mini Cooper
https://rossjohnsonphotography.zenfolio.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#10 Re: Cars of the Netflix Crown

Post by Simon P » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:06 pm

Nick V12 e type wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:26 pm
I’ve often wondered if all of these ‘props’ sit in a large warehouse somewhere under common ownership or if individual owners make their cars available to the film and TV industry.

I imagine that one could place a car on a register ‘available for film and TV work’ @ £XXX per day.

Has any one done this?
Nick Mason used to run an operation doing this (as a sideline I imagine, his day job seems to quite successful in its own right.... :bigrin: ). I registered my integrale on it years ago, but nothing ever came my way. I imagine there must be other firms doing the same thing though.
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic