Possible Stolen E Type

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
PassiveFirst
Great Britain

#1 Possible Stolen E Type

Post by PassiveFirst » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:55 am

Hello,

I am hoping that someone on here can help me fairly urgently.

I have an elderly relative who has been asked to store a car in her garage. The car is a red RHD Convertible Series 1 E Type.

The car is on false plates and when we have reported this to the police they say they are not interested.

It would be great to resolve this and if possible have the car returned to the rightful owner (assuming it is indeed stolen).

As we have been taking an interest in the car, we are aware that the current 'owner' is planning to move the car in the next week or so, hence the appeal for urgent help.

We shall be going to look at the car today to gather more information such as the chassis number.

If anyone can help with advice on this matter it would be greatly appreciated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by mgcjag » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:10 am

Hi...you will only find the chassis number if you lift the bonnet.....there should be a large data plate with all info stamped on it....also the chassis number is stamped on the front top cross member above the driver side shock absorber. ....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by mgcjag » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:16 am

This Site has the largest register of e type info....stolen cars normaly get listed but you can only really search with the chassis number....Steve http://www.xkedata.com/
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Red Kite
Great Britain

#4 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by Red Kite » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:10 am

look for a number here...

Gerry.
S2 FHC 1R20003

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#5 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by christopher storey » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:11 am

I find it hard to believe that the police are not interested . Most forces have a permanent unit which investigates stolen vehicle rings . If you are meeting with no response, you should immediately demand to see a Superintendent, and if you still meet with no response then an immediate letter to the Police Commissioner for the force involved is needed. However, how do you know the car is on false plates ? Do you know the identity of the people who have deposited the car in the garage ? As has already been said, the apparent chassis number would help - to get under the bonnet you twist and pull two catches, one above the forward end of the door sill on each side, and then lift the bonnet forward releasing a safety catch at the rear end of the bonnet centre

In addition to a punched in number as shown in the picture above, there should also be a dataplate on the flat portion of the forward sill just in front of the bulkhead. On rhd cars it is on the right driver's side, and vice versa for lhd cars

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
PassiveFirst
Great Britain

#6 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by PassiveFirst » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:30 am

Thanks all for the help. Some great tips.

We shall be going along today to find the chassis number, so will let you know how we get on.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
PassiveFirst
Great Britain

#7 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by PassiveFirst » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:42 am

christopher storey wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:11 am
I find it hard to believe that the police are not interested . Most forces have a permanent unit which investigates stolen vehicle rings . If you are meeting with no response, you should immediately demand to see a Superintendent, and if you still meet with no response then an immediate letter to the Police Commissioner for the force involved is needed. However, how do you know the car is on false plates ? Do you know the identity of the people who have deposited the car in the garage ? As has already been said, the apparent chassis number would help - to get under the bonnet you twist and pull two catches, one above the forward end of the door sill on each side, and then lift the bonnet forward releasing a safety catch at the rear end of the bonnet centre

In addition to a punched in number as shown in the picture above, there should also be a dataplate on the flat portion of the forward sill just in front of the bulkhead. On rhd cars it is on the right driver's side, and vice versa for lhd cars
We have written to the Chief Constable and the Local MP to make them aware of the lack of interest being shown by the Police.

We know the plates are false, as they come back as belonging to a red 4.2l 1978 XJ6.

Yes, we know the identity of the person who has deposited the car and their details have also been passed to the Police. He is known to the Police.

The Police have also told us that they are just not interested in stolen cars because there are so many of them and all that would happen is the car would be auctioned off and the funds would go to the Police. This is why I felt coming to this forum may result in a more positive outcome, perhaps even with the rightful owner being tracked down.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#8 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by tinworm » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Hope its not a Challenger kit car - they used XJ6 identities (though they shouldn't)

Barrie
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#9 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by rswaffie » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:08 pm

If you are going to check the VIN, I suggest you take lots of pics of the exterior and interior, chassis number stamping on the front frame, cylinder head number and the id plate on the driver’s side near the air filter. Post the pics on this site.
You won’t be able to open the bonnet if the car is locked up though.
He can’t be a particularly clever criminal if he gave a name that is already known to the police!
It’s also strange that the theft of such a vehicle, if it is a real s1 etype, has not been plastered all over Facebook etc as is the case for other valuable cars. Maybe the owner hasn’t realised it’s gone?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#10 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by mgcjag » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Barrie made a good point above ..it could be a fibreglass replica........which could very easily be useing xj6 registration.....E types are metal bodied...so is it metal or grp.....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
PassiveFirst
Great Britain

#11 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by PassiveFirst » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:54 pm

Again, great tips thank you everyone.

We managed to get some photos, but unfortunately did not see the recent posts before we did so.

We also did not see the post about the possibility of the car being a replica in time to check if was grp, which makes a lot of sense.

My money is now on it being a kit car, but hopefully one of you will be able to confirm this from the attachments.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Attachments
Jag side.jpg
Jag side.jpg (230.65 KiB) Viewed 5262 times
Jag.jpg
Jag.jpg (163.55 KiB) Viewed 5262 times
Data plate.jpg
Data plate.jpg (232.04 KiB) Viewed 5262 times

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
PassiveFirst
Great Britain

#12 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by PassiveFirst » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:55 pm

More photos...
Attachments
Jag front.jpg
Jag front.jpg (208.9 KiB) Viewed 5261 times
Jag interior.jpg
Jag interior.jpg (115.48 KiB) Viewed 5261 times

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#13 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by rswaffie » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi,
That looks like a kit car to me. Dashboard area is a giveaway, along with the xj6 vin plate, the windscreen surround and many other non-etype features!
Last edited by rswaffie on Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#14 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by christopher storey » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:43 pm

I will lay long odds that it is a Challenger, and there's probably nothing false about the reg at all. The broad transmission tunnel is the clearest indication of this . The dataplate is a bit of a puzzle though as it does not appear to be from an XJ6

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#15 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by rswaffie » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:08 pm

This is a 1978 xj6 4.2 vin plate- looks similar.

Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#16 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by cactusman » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:34 pm

I would agree that it appears from the pictures to be a kit car....maybe a challenger.....and based on an XJ6 it seems....however well done to the original poster. As someone who had their E nicked (and returned thanks to a tracker) it is nice to see someone being just a little suspicious when things don't add up on first inspection. I also have to say it is extremely disappointing to hear of the indifference shown by HM constabulary....as is often said, car crime is often associated with other more serious criminal activities so to hear they can't be bothered is frankly unacceptable. Hopefully the letters will extract a response although it does appear the car is legit....or as legit as an XJ6 made to look like an E type can be :bigrin: Something even the most lack lustre PC would have been able to determine without too much effort one hopes!
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#17 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by chrisfell » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:38 pm

“ .however well done to the original poster. ”

Sorry Julian, I couldn’t disagree more. This was not well done, but careless. An innocent and probably legal owner of a genuine (kit/replica) car has had his reputation impugned.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#18 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by cactusman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:38 am

We will have to agree to disagree. The rightful owner has not been identified and nor has their car so far As I can tell. As I see it the original poster became suspicious of the car being stored at an elderly relative...what aroused their suspicions is unclear. I guess they were not E type experts so their suspicions were heightened when they checked the no plate and it came back as an XJ6. Few people would know of challenger cars or JPR Wildcats etc. They then did the right thing and reported it to the police. It seems that the police showed little interest which is the great shame. Had the police done a cursory check they would have reassured the poster that all was well....and we only have the original posters contention that the police failed to act.
So the original poster had what they genuinely believed MAY be a stolen e type sitting in an elderly relatives garage.....probably a stressful situation. Their next stop was social media and the internet....they found the forum and posted what I thought was a measured post with sufficient detail to allow the car to be identified as a kit while ensuring its exact identity remained confidential and several people said it was probably a kit car based on an XJ6 and legitimate.
Had it turned out to be a real car and had someone found their car to have been stolen presumably a PM or direct contact with the police would have allowed the true identity to have been kept only to those who needed to know....There have been several cases of the general public being instrumental in recovering stolen cars due to postings on social media....a recent article in one of the classic car weekly papers cited recovery of a rare Vauxhall although in that case the police did what they could.
My point is that if.people are suspicious of something they should act and not just ignore, be that suspicious cars, or other types of possible crime. They should report to the police and the police should act to either reassure that all is well or in rare cases detect crimes. if the police fail to act them maybe social media and the internet is the only other option....Reporting suspicions while keeping identity secret is not impugning reputations as I see it and the original poster was careful not to identity either the car or it's owner.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#19 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by chrisfell » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:29 pm

Julian, We can agree, on this occasion, to disagree. BTW, I speak as one who has had a car stolen (from a railway station carpark, in broad daylight), so I know the actual pain that this crime can cause. I do understand your position, I just don’t think it is just.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#20 Re: Possible Stolen E Type

Post by cactusman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:35 pm

:bigrin:
Think we can both agree that:
the car is not stolen and not driving on false plates....it is perfectly legit and the original poster should have no concerns about it residing in their elderly relatives garage....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic