Triple carburetors

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Steve Vickers
Great Britain

#1 Triple carburetors

Post by Steve Vickers » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:44 am

Hi Team.

I have a 1970 XKE series 2 FHC and would like to change the twin stromberg carbs for a triple SU HD8 set. As you guys will know the SU HD8 carbs are expensive. I wondered if it was possible to use the triple carb SU HD8 arrangement used on other Jaguars like the Mk10 and if so what changes would be needed? this besides the inlet manifold which I would do, please could you advise me.
Then aslo, if I was to buy a series 1 3.8 SU HD8 set of carbs, again besides changing the inlet manifold. What else would be needed to install the series 1 3.8 carbs on a series 2 4.2 car? I have seen you could plug the additional ports on the engine , but would like to know if this would cause over heating problems.

Finally, though just a thought on my side. Is it possible to use 3 stromberg carbs on a triple inlet manfiold from a series 1 or 2 car? if twin carbs work OK originally onmy car, why not three. Then how would you do this, or who could you contact to help with assen=mbling such a set up.

I am pretty new to this issue and E types so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards.

Steve. :bigrin: :wavegreatbritain:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by christopher storey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:06 am

The short answer is no . The mark 10 carbs had the "hisser" automatic choke , but a much more serious difficulty is that the bells are taller than the E type version and to make matters worse the manifold sets them higher than those on the E type so that they will not fit under the bonnet. As far as using 3 Strombergs is concerned , the carburetters are too small in aperture for a standard manifold ( 1.75 instead of 2 inch ) , arranging throttle and choke linkages would be difficult, and you are likely to end up with the sort of lash-up that another member of this board has encountered this week where the car will not run properly

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joes66
Great Britain

#3 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by Joes66 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:42 pm

Best other option is triple webbers which are cheaper but you need to get someone that really knows what they are doing to set them up on a rolling road
Otherwise the proper set is best
Otherwise you will just cause more problems later on when you come to try and get it to run correctly
Joe
1969 series 2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

max-it-out
Great Britain

#4 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by max-it-out » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:02 pm

I read somewhere that the Stroms will bolt onto a series 1 inlet manifold meant for SUs . One problem might be that the Stroms seem much wider than the SUs so maybe getting 3 to fit in line could be difficult . I think someone on the US forum has done this .If it were possible it would be a lot cheaper .
Mark

1968 series 1.5 roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

#5 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by Nickleback » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:58 am

Steve,
I have the same year car as you, XKE 1970 Series 2 FHC and went through your conundrum 4 years ago.
Really your best options are: 3 x SU's or 3 x Weber's or 2 x Stromberg's.
As I was returning my XKE to right hand drive full UK spec the best option for me (not the cheapest) was 3 x SU's (bought from Burlen) which in my opinion do make a big difference over the 2 x original Stromberg's in looks, performance/hp and real induction noise.Then I then sold off the original Stromberg's & manifold to offset the £ against the new carbs.
If budget is your issue then the most economical route is to rebuild the Strombergs and get the secondary butterflies removed and spindles passage plugged to get the best out of them.

Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#6 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by abowie » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:03 am

Steve you own a Series 2 E Type. At a guess less than 10000 other people on the planet can say that.

It's worth a small fortune, and it will only increase in value.

You don't like the Strombergs, and Webers are only really suited to race cars.

Spend the money and buy a set of triple SUs.

You'll never regret it.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Steve Vickers
Great Britain

#7 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by Steve Vickers » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:56 am

Steve Vickers wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:44 am
Hi Team.

I have a 1970 XKE series 2 FHC and would like to change the twin stromberg carbs for a triple SU HD8 set. As you guys will know the SU HD8 carbs are expensive. I wondered if it was possible to use the triple carb SU HD8 arrangement used on other Jaguars like the Mk10 and if so what changes would be needed? this besides the inlet manifold which I would do, please could you advise me.
Then aslo, if I was to buy a series 1 3.8 SU HD8 set of carbs, again besides changing the inlet manifold. What else would be needed to install the series 1 3.8 carbs on a series 2 4.2 car? I have seen you could plug the additional ports on the engine , but would like to know if this would cause over heating problems.

Finally, though just a thought on my side. Is it possible to use 3 stromberg carbs on a triple inlet manfiold from a series 1 or 2 car? if twin carbs work OK originally onmy car, why not three. Then how would you do this, or who could you contact to help with assen=mbling such a set up.

I am pretty new to this issue and E types so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards.

Steve. :bigrin: :wavegreatbritain:
Hi Team.

Thank you for your advice it is appreciated. I will take the consensous and go for a set of triple SU HD8 cabrburetors. However, could I ask you guys on one last option? In my message above I asked about the possibility of using triple carbs off a series 1 3.8 car. I know these have been used and there are comments about plugging two water channels. Has anyone got any experiance with this and if it can be done safely without over heating problems. On the over heatiing, how about the last, with a series 2 inlet maniifold? A set off a 3.8 car can be picked up reasonably, well below the price of a set off a series 2 4.2 car.

Regards.

Steve. :wavegreatbritain: :bigrin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:08 am

Hi Steve......I was unaware that 3.8 carbs could be found for less than 4.2......are you sure you are looking at the correct HD8 carbs...the ones you want have the choke adjust on the bottom of the carb(first photo)......there are plenty of cheaper HD8 carbs that do not have it and were from a set up that used an aed or starter carb unit..photo below has choke ..Steve

Still HD8 but use a seperate starter carb so no choke on bottom of carb
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#9 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by abowie » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:36 am

Sets of 3.8 carbs with the 3 individual manifolds have been cheaper than the single manifold 4.2 sets in the past. That's maybe less true today, especially for the early 3.8 iteration.

Both have the same choke setup, and will work with the 4.2 engine. Yes, you need to deal with the different water passage setup, but this is not difficult.

Personally, as above, I'd just cough up the dough and buy the correct kit.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#10 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by tim wood » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:19 pm

I converted mine from strombergs to SUs and had the same issues.
Aside and in addition to all of the issues noted above I would urge some caution about buying what can seem to be very attractive sets of carbs with manifolds advertised on other jaguar forums. Usually from outside of the UK and with untraceable payment methods.
A few of these are continuing advertised I.e a complete set of carbs and manifolds at around $2000.

I enquired about these and found the same pictures advertised on several web sites with differing email addresses.
Could all be genuine of course.

In the end I sourced mine via this forum - place a wanted add - the do come up from time time.
The Burlen set is great I’m sure but you need deep pockets.
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#11 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by tinworm » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:22 pm

I have done this.
You will need to buy the repro 4.2 manifold from the usuals.
You can use the HD8 carbs from a mk10/Healey/Rover/Rolls Royce etc but as mentioned above there are differences which need addressing- namely the choke arrangement which can be bought separately for each carb from Burlen . Then the piston and dashpot - some dashpots can be milled off to reduce the height but not all have threads for the damper long enough. You can buy 3 HS8 carbs cheaply and scavenge the parts required (don't forget the piston and dashpot chamber are a matched pair) This leaves the choke linkage and throttle operating rods/links - these are available though I have made them in the past. Going to all this trouble will give you a reasonable saving overall. Check spindle wear on whichever carb you buy as this repair will need to be factored in too.

Barrie
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#12 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi Barrie....did you mean to say HS8 in your post above?.....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#13 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by tinworm » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:31 pm

Yes Steve, the HS8 is a cheap version of the HD8 (it has a different float bowl arrangement) and is more prolific and cheaper than an HD8 . I was just suggesting its useful for spares if a set of mk10 HD8'S have been bought. Alternatively a couple sets of early XJ6 carbs will come with low top dashpots. You never know what will turn up !

Barrie
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#14 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:06 pm

i did get some prices a while ago from Burlan for the choke mechanisms for HD8s......they are really expensive. ...and often not available...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#15 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by tinworm » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:28 pm

I think I paid about £100 each from memory Steve - around 5 years ago I also was told I would have to wait a couple of months - they turned up in 3 weeks . Compared with the alternative that was ok. I don't know what the current price is...

Barrie

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#16 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:11 pm

“I enquired about these and found the same pictures advertised on several web sites with differing email addresses.
Could all be genuine of course”

I lost a packet on that scam via Jag-Lovers Classifieds, which is why they started putting warnings all over that section.

I left a full 3.8 set at my son’s place in Chesterfield. Unfortunately a float bowl got snapped off in transit and since covid kicked in I haven't been back to fix them. If someone wants them before covid restrictions are eased, contact me off-list and I’ll send a replacement float bowl from here.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

pgh64
United States of America

#17 Re: Triple carburetors

Post by pgh64 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:18 pm

I have a 3.8 E-Type manifold including triple HD8 carbs for sale (see photos for correct E Type part numbers on intakes) for $3,500 plus shipping or can delete the 3.8 bits and sell the remainder for $2,750 + shipping from California. Fully rebuilt & professionally polished with all new Burlen parts where necessary including throttle shafts. You'll still get the fuel rail, choke linkage, return springs and brackets and fuel rail (new)and aerospace grade stainless nut and washer kit. 30+ years E Type owner/SU experience. Contact off forum at patrick.harrington@att.net or call/text to 714-240-8603 USA Pacific time. References available upon request.

62 3.8 fhc, 64 fhc, 68 fhc - Sold, 69 fhc - Sold

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic