£300K Series 3 anyone ?

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
44DHR
Great Britain

#1 £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by 44DHR » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:48 am

We all know the world will be going mad in 2021 with stories and interest in the E-Type.
Just spotted this modified Series 3 E-Type up for sale at £300K on PistonHeads this morning.
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-spo ... tted/43569

Any takers ?

Regards,
Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

max-it-out
Great Britain

#2 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by max-it-out » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:52 am

Nicely done , except for the interior , which just looks odd ( what was wrong with the original ? ). Easy to see how it could cost at least £ 300 k for all the time spent on it @ £ 60-70 / hr .
Overall , for the same price you could have a nice series 1 E plus an Aston DB 11 for the same money .
Mark

1968 series 1.5 roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joes66
Great Britain

#3 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by Joes66 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:55 pm

Really can't see it being worth that amount of cash
Its still just a series 3
And after spending all that money they could have at least changed that back end to a series one
If i was going to spend that sort of money I would just get one of the cheaper jaguar heritage cars from jaguar themselves
Joe
1969 series 2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#4 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by rswaffie » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:21 pm

“One man’s dream of the ultimate e-type”. Well, that dream only lasted 400 miles by the sound of it!
“Realistically priced at £300,000”. Replace realistically with optimistically.
If you can afford to pay a restoration company that much money to do something like this, then surely you must know you are doing it to ‘fulfil a dream’, (and there’s nothing wrong in that),rather than recoup the costs or try and make money on it? I know that there are buyers prepared to fork out for things like the Eagle Speedsters etc, so maybe Runnymede will find a similarly well-heeled client for this?
At least the sales pitch doesn’t include the phrase “investment opportunity”.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#5 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by chrisfell » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:39 pm

£300k and no air filters? Maybe it’s £300k plus the cost of a rebuilt engine every ten thousand miles.

Or are you not supposed to drive it?
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#6 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by MarekH » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:30 pm

If you fit a s1 back end to the car, then the smaller s1/2 fuel tank will have to be fitted and range will drop. The s3 does at best ~17mpg and a more typical number will be 12mpg. Given the "power upgrade", this engine will drink fuel so I'd estimate the range to be under 180 miles.

You can have more power, more torque and more fuel economy if you do this properly.
If you want me to post details, then I will.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#7 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by Barry » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:54 pm

I have been to see it, as a reference against my own car. The interior is awful, the changes to the bodywork tasteless, and having driven it, it doesn’t have the same flexible power. A friend of mine was interest in buying it. No! Makes mine at £200k seem like a snip.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#8 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by Barry » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:56 pm

Oh, forgot to say, Runnymede have had it for 5 months now, and why would you buy something like this without restorer provenance?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#9 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by rswaffie » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:03 pm

Was there no documentation/photos from Southern Classics? That would be a huge error given the amount of work attributed to them.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#10 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by cactusman » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:29 pm

Is it me but are most of these reworkings trying (and failing) to improve a car that was 99.999999% perfect anyway. Too any of these people think they know better than Jaguar...and Jaguar were extremely good at making a fantastic car (and still are). Just my take but if I had £300k to burn it would not be on a this....spend less On a well restored original spec car and pocket a lot of change.... :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#11 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by christopher storey » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:59 pm

Well quite ... and in any event I'm afraid I'd never heard of Southern Classics before this

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#12 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by cactusman » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:45 pm

As most in the classic trade will tell you, restored cars need to be as close to original as possible and retain as many original parts as possible if they are to retain their value once sold on. Friend of mine restores the body shells extremely high end cars...in the millions...a recent job won an award at Halton Court...originality is everything....panels, bolts, even original factory bodges....all kept if at all possible. If someone parts with £300k for this they will be lucky to sell on for £100k in year or two IMO
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#13 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by Barry » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:36 pm

Yes, I love original cars, and have had more than I care to mention. But I’m afraid the idea that you can’t improve an E-type is just plain wrong. I’ve had original concours 1962 FHC, every last nut and bolt, totally as per original spec. Oh it felt so old, and certainly wonderful in 1962, but it drove like a car of that era. That is why I have a modified S3. It drives like a modern car. jaguar made a fabulous beautiful car, that there is no doubt, and in its day, it was one of the best cars to drive on the road. But now, umm, it isn’t. Technology has moved on. Each to his own, and I’m up there with the rest of us to see original cars, but don’t kid yourself it is wondrous to drive, cos it ain’t! So please, if you have the opportunity, go and try a modified car from a reputable company, and be thrilled to experience the best of both worlds. Restomods are here to stay, and values will go up for all those cars from respected people. Eagle being number 1.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#14 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by christopher storey » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:49 pm

Eagle might be number one in your estimation . However, I'm afraid not everyone shares your view .I regard that quaint old boy William Lyons as number one

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#15 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by Barry » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:40 am

He was then....and his legacy lives on. Eagle and others just make what he created a little more up to date. I no longer want to drive an E-type that won’t stop, and handle like a 1960’s 70’s car. As wonderful as old cars are, if you want to live the dream as it was, I respect that. I’ve done it, but allow those of us that want a better driving experience to enjoy that too. To slag off companies like Eagle is not on, especially when you probably have never driven one. The number of road tests by respected journos speaks for itself.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#16 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by Robbiee » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:04 am

We clearly all have a different view on what an Etype is!
Personally I love the handling and drive of an early 3.8 and To me the point of having/driving an old car is to enjoy the experience of an old car. The Eagle “kit cars” and other etypes redesigned to drive “like a modern car” are absolutely fabulous bits of kit bit not what I want from a classic car! I have had many great modern cars and they perform very well and go round corners like they’re on rails which is great if you want to get from a to b without too much hassle ...just sayin’😊. It’s great we. Are such a diverse bunch though but we all love etypes in whatever form they are
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#17 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by Barry » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:42 am

Thanks Robbie. I totally agree, and maybe you made the point better than me! Cheers mate!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#18 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by rswaffie » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:33 am

On a similar note, the ‘re-creation’ bandwagon is being jumped on by Ecurie Ecosse.....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.evo. ... aled%3famp

Apparently, they will be registered as a ‘new’ car. So I’m guessing that they will not have age related plates?
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#19 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by mgcjag » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:47 am

Hi Richard....if they build useing a "doner car" for engine etc then IVA and register it can have an age related plate as per the doner but be registered as a "new car".....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#20 Re: £300K Series 3 anyone ?

Post by rswaffie » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:04 pm

Looking at the marketing blurb, they are building the space frame and body from scratch - they talk about the chassis being made ‘wider’, the xk 4.2 being fitted with electronic fuel injection and running gear being modified. So, I think that in DVLA terms, it is significantly altered from original spec!
It’s anyone’s guess how it will be registered - seems to be no different than a kit car to me.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic