S3 Automatique/manual transformation

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
MLBS3V12
France

#1 S3 Automatique/manual transformation

Post by MLBS3V12 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:06 am

Hi,

my S3 ( dismanteled at the moment) is equipped with a borg warner automatique gear box.
I would like to fit a manual one.
I dont know which gear box can be used.
If someone has already done a such modification, I'interesting with.

Regards
Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#2 Re: S3 Automatique/manual transformation

Post by PeterCrespin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:55 pm

MLBS3V12 wrote:Hi,

my S3 ( dismanteled at the moment) is equipped with a borg warner automatique gear box.
I would like to fit a manual one.
I dont know which gear box can be used.
If someone has already done a such modification, I'interesting with.

Regards
XJ6 manual overdrive or the long-wheelbase 4-synchro box used in XJ6 and E-type cars will drop straight in. The bell housing and flywheel are expensive for V12s. You can choose a cheap option of using the XJ transmission top and your existing console modified for a manual gear lever, or the expensive option of an E-type top cover and full standard E-type manual console, which is unique to the S3.

The even more expensive option is to buy a new full five-speed kit.

I have everything you need for either of the Jaguar options if you are interested (and don't mind shipping or colllecting from the UK).

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

Post by vee12eman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:01 am

Hi Michel,

It is possible to go down the route of a 5-speed conversion without the kit - I know because I converted from Auto to a Getrag myself and at a much lower cost than the kits.

The difficult part is the conversion of the bell housing. I got lucky with a gearbox on ebay, which actually had a rare bell housing which needed no adaptor plate to fit to the Getrag. As it happens, this bell housing proved problematic as it was fractionally too short and I later had to remove the gearbox to modify it slightly. There are still conversion kits out there for the Getrag, but these use a fairly thick plate which adapts the front of the gearbox to the rear of the original bell housing (which I believe should be the original Manual item).

The Getrag gearbox has an output shaft well further back than the original, requireing a slightly awkward linkage to be made up - I made mine myself and it seems to work fine. Alternatively you can modify the location of the gear lever and have it come out further back than normal, some say this is a better location.

Other options include the T5 gearbox, with various companies offering conversions, some with more thought to them than others, including some with new 'box casings and ratios. Another is the Toyota Celica 5-speed - a conversion gaining popularity and now quite popular down under as there are more donor Celicas here than other options.

You may be able to find an engineering company to make a conversion plate from a 5-speed box to your auto bell housing, but don't hold out too much hope of persuading anyone who already makes one to sell you just the adaptor, I tried to do that for my linkage but to absolutely no avail - companies protect their profit margins, I guess understandably so. In any case, I think you would need a normal manual bell housing anyway, I'm not sure, you'd have to ask first, but if you do, they aren't exactly common.

The main thing is that, like me you have time to look around, as your car is dismantled, it was this patience which threw up a suitable 'box, flywheel, clutch and bell housing on ebay for less than ?750. I converted my own linkage, cover and found an old stock conversion adaptor for the rear mount to the Getrag 'box, all up the conversion proved cheaper than finding a second hand E-type 4-speed box, although a lot of effort, thought and research was needed.

Sadly, the autobox is not going to get you much return - I got ?50 for mine - virtually all other V12 Jags at the time had them and they are not exactly rare!

Good luck,

Regards,
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MLBS3V12
France

Post by MLBS3V12 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Thank you Pete and Simon,

with your information and the time I have in front of me, I should get what I need !

Regards

Michel
Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic