Weights of major components?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
kingzetts
Great Britain

#1 Weights of major components?

Post by kingzetts » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Does anyone happen to know the approximate weights of the XK engine, T5 gearbox, and IRS assembly? Getting ready to remove them and want to ensure my trolleys etc are up to the task.
John '62 S1 OTS (now sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:42 pm

T5 = 68lbs (standard Jaguar box 78lbs)

My guess (or reading it somewhere - Porter's book maybe?) on the other two is:
Engine = 600lbs (no ancillaries)
IRS = 350lbs (without wheels)

Certainly if you take the IRS out you need to put an equivalent weight in the boot to stop the car toppling forward.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:01 pm

David's weights are pretty much correct. The engine with gearbox is around 750 lbs.

Any trolley jack can easily handle the IRS assembly, but the unit tends to be nose-heavy and will roll forward as it's lowered from the car. The first thing to hit the pavement will be the pinion flange if this is allowed to happen. Jack stands can be placed under the longitudinal stiffeners just forward of the rear bulkhead.

One point worth noting is that it's important to not allow the IRS assembly to be suspended on the rubber mounts, especially if their condition is questionable. They were never designed to take tensile loads, so a jack should always be under the IRS when the car is raised. I also like to place a wood block on the jack pad when doing this.

If you've ever pulled the engine out of a Porsche 911, you'll find removing the Jaguar IRS to be a comparable experience. You can do it yourself, but the job will be much safer with a helper.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
kingzetts
Great Britain

Post by kingzetts » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks, guys.

Moe, I have indeed pulled 911 engines on quite a few occasions, always single-handed. The hardest part was always getting the body up high enough to clear the injection systems, and I got quite slick at removing the rear bumper assemblies as well to give extra clearance.
John '62 S1 OTS (now sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:31 pm

There is a slight overestimate of engine weight here. The engine and gearbox complete with ancillaries weighs about 680 lbs. If carburetters, manifolds, starter motor etc are removed then the lifting weight is about 610 lbs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic