Zeus Callipers

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
drichards
Australia

#1 Zeus Callipers

Post by drichards » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:34 am

Apologies if the initial blog is a bit vague, but I bought replacement rear Zeus Callipers some time ago and the mechanic fitting them cannot get the pads to stay in. I am happy to contact Zeus on Monday but as work is in progress this weekend I wondered if anybody had encountered this issue. Do I need special pads or is there an adapter. The old Dunlop Callipers have a knob which keeps the pad in place

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neil4444
Great Britain

Post by neil4444 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm not sure what the knob on the Dunlop Callipers is but the Zeus callipers I fitted to my 3.8 were just a direct replacement for the Dunlops & all other hardware remained as per original. Have you got the support & retaining plates in there ?
Only other thing I can think of is that if yours is a 4.2 have you bought 3.8 pads ?

Regards,

Neil
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:47 pm

The Dunlop callipers do have a 'knob' or button which locates in the pad and acts to centre it and help retract it. I fitted Greenstuff pads to my Zeus callipers without problem and although they have a slot for the retraction button they do not have the attached metal plate which hooks on the button to aid retraction.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
drichards
Australia

Post by drichards » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:49 am

Thanks for your answers. This is the reply I got from Zeus, very helpful and very quick!

our replacement rear pots are designed to fit into the existing carriers on your vehicle. The old Dunlop kits did have a knob on the pad but this is not used in our system. The Spring clips on the carrier hold the pads in place.

Don't quite follow the first comment but have definitely got 3.8 series 1.

Cheers

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kingzetts
Great Britain

Post by kingzetts » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:18 am

Having just recently removed and refitted my rear calipers....the pads are kept in place within the caliper body by the spring clip (part number 7719 - see plate 23 in the 3.8 parts manual) which is held onto the central spine of the caliper body by a small nut and bolt.

The "boss" protruding from the centre of each piston engages with the slot in the back of each pad and provides positive slight retraction of the pads from the disc after braking - however as David notes, not all pads have the metal plate which engages under the lip of the boss, and instead just have channels to clear the bosses. I believe the positive retraction feature was something which in practice is unnecessary and was soon abandoned by the makers of disc brakes.
John '62 S1 OTS (now sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:24 pm

kingzetts wrote: I believe the positive retraction feature was something which in practice is unnecessary and was soon abandoned by the makers of disc brakes.
Abandoned when they went to the current system of static square-section o-rings in the caliper body wiping the moving piston circumference, rather than seals on the moving pistons wiping down the static bore, which is less durable and effective at pull-back.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

pmansson
Sweden

#7 Dust issues with Zeus callipers up front

Post by pmansson » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:56 pm

I have 4.2 S1 car with CMC and one of the issues was "car pulling strongly to the right when braking". Apparently dust has entered into the pistons, which has now been cleaned. And apparently the ZEUS callipers lack some sort of dust shield to prevent this. On the other hand, I have these on another S1 car, albeit a 3.8, and have never had this problem on this car.
Anybody with anything to add on this one....>?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:04 pm

My Zeus calipers definitely have dust rubbers. They are the shape of a pair of spectacles

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grayjay66
United States of America

#9 Re: Zeus Callipers

Post by Grayjay66 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:54 am

These posts are several yrs old now but I have a current problem.

My original Dunlops have a spring retraction and so when the brake is released the Pistons retract pulling the pads away from the disc via the "knob" that rides in the slot in the brake pad.

I installed new 2 1/8 Zeus which force the pads to the disc but then the pads do not retract leaving friction equal to 2-3 foot pounds of drag on the disc. Tried new pads but that did not change result.

Dunlops are working so it's not a system problem.

Have you noticed this residual drag with your Zeus?

I'm guessing the square seal elasticity is not sufficient to pull the piston back.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sarthe72
Great Britain

#10 Re: Zeus Callipers

Post by Sarthe72 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:06 am

I have had Zeus problems from time to time, but not drag as you describe it. I just get the front slowly locking on and so always carry a 7/16 in the glove box. I've changed to aeroquip hoses, and the problem is rare so I live with it. I can go months without a problem and then suddenly the front N/S will bind. Very pleased with my Zeus calipers by the way which I fitted over 10 years ago now. I was advised to fit front and back.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grayjay66
United States of America

#11 Re: Zeus Callipers

Post by Grayjay66 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:54 am

Thanks , I should have mine back from Zeus soon. They could find no fault.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic