bottles brake fluid leak

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Erikantwerp
Belgium

#1 bottles brake fluid leak

Post by Erikantwerp » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:26 am

Hello,

I am having a bit of trouble here with my brake fluid plastic bottles (or initial hoses going from those bottles). They leak a bit and are destroying my paint on the metal bars underneath.

i cannot see clearly where it comes form, the bottle or the hose as the latter seems to" sweat" quite a bit.

Anybody had this problem and has some good advice ?

Much appreciated.
cheers
Erik

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alfi

#2 plastic bottles

Post by alfi » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:34 am

Hello Eric, I have heard people having this problem in the past and it seems it can be the plasic tube at the bottom of the bottle breaking away from the main body, as its brittle you cannot always see the problem it just weeps as you say. Good luck with finding the probem Alfi.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:44 pm

I had exactly the same problem. It is the low pressure hoses (usually black with yellow stripe) that 'sweat' fluid after about 5 years. The fluid touches the frame and removes the paint. You need to replace the hoses promptly preferably with the ones SNG Barratt supply as they will not sweat over time. They are black with no yellow stripe part no C20072/M. The meter length will be sufficient to do both brake and clutch low pressure hoses at a cost of about ?16.

You will also need to check the frames where the paint has come off for rust. Clean the area and repaint. Those frames are structural!

David
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

e-bygum

Post by e-bygum » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:24 pm

I replaced mine using heater hose. Submerged it in brake fluid for a month first with no ill affects. DO NOT use fuel hose as it is not compatible with brake fluid. I'm talking Dot 3/4 fluid, can't comment on silicone fluid if you are using that.
Pete
Pete
'71 S3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:37 pm

e-bygum wrote:I replaced mine using heater hose. Submerged it in brake fluid for a month first with no ill affects. DO NOT use fuel hose as it is not compatible with brake fluid. I'm talking Dot 3/4 fluid, can't comment on silicone fluid if you are using that.
Pete
Eek! If a heater hose fails you get cold if the brake hose fails you get err .... very cold.

May have worked for you but I don't think it is the way to go given the low cost of the properly designed thing. I just replaced my clutch slave and while I was bleeding the system the fluid kept coming out black. I realised it was the flexible hose (the correct Jaguar item) that had started to deteriorate. Checked with a few more knowledgeable people who said it should be changed every 5 years. This is a specifically designed part that still started to break down under the effects of brake fluid much like the low pressure hoses. The long term effects of exposure to brake fluid is the problem.

David
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

e-bygum

Post by e-bygum » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:11 pm

You've got me concerned now. Can you explain the difference between heater hose and the hose used between the brake res. and the cylinder?
Pete
Pete
'71 S3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:42 pm

Not an expert on the chemistry involved but heater hose is designed to resist water, glycol and heat. The brake/clutch low pressure hose is designed to resist brake fluid. My preference would be to spend the ?16 plus 500ml of brake fluid to do the job properly. Getting it wrong does not bear thinking about.

Give SNG Barratt a call and ask for advice as they seem to be very impartial.

Personally I am not a Health and Safety fanatic but thisis one area that needs careful consideration.

Davi
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

e-bygum

Post by e-bygum » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:03 pm

Brake fluid (Dot3/4) and antifreeze are both glycol based. Coolant hose is made from EP rubber which is glycol resistant and therefore to my mind suitable for non-pressurised brake hose use.
I would bet that the hose sold with a Jaguar part no. on the packaging is made from the exact same rubber as heater hose and the price difference is determined by it being already cut to size and the 'Jaguar Premium'.
Pete
Pete
'71 S3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Erikantwerp
Belgium

#9 brake fluild leak

Post by Erikantwerp » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:30 am

Dear all,

many many thanks for your very useful comments and feedback. I will indeed now replace the hoses as said herein and test the bottle "entrance"/closure as well. (and off course scrape, treat with anti corrosion and repaint the metal bars).

I will let you know how it went

cheers
Erik

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:46 am

Erik

A couple of other things worth doing. Check that there is no 'flash' of plastic around the bottle outlet which can prevent a good seal - very often the case on the new replacement bottles. Scraping with a sharp knife removes it. Also be careful not to tighten the hose clamps too much or you will crush the outlet. Best thing is to insert a short piece of steel tubing into the outlet and you will then be able to tighten up the clamp without problem and ensure a good seal. Model engineering shops should be able to supply something that will fit.

David
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

e-bygum

Post by e-bygum » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:52 pm

Is there no metal spigot that pushes through the bottle outlet from the inside to prevent it being crushed by the hose clamp? New bottles are sold without this. On the S3 this spigot has a filter attached to it on the inside of the bottle. Was there no filter on the S1?
Pete
Pete
'71 S3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:45 pm

Pete

Not as far as I am aware and nothing shown in the parts manual.

David
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic