Fuel filter options

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
trondvo
Norway

#1 Fuel filter options

Post by trondvo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:47 am

I recently drained my OTS tank and cleaned out system from pump to engine. New screen/filter on the pump and the "std" aftermarket filter as supplied from most all parts houses. Peter C. suggested that I should change the in and outlet on the AC fuel console to allow debris to be collected in the bowl. This was what Jaguar and AC intended with this type of console. That would most likely be a very good solution but I decided to find a filter that would work without swapping lines. That is fuel straight through paper element (or original stone filter), filtered on the "outside" & debris collected in the bowl.

AC filters were used in a lot of US cars back in the days and I quickly found one candidate, AC Delco GF124, and spin-offs from this filter, WIX 33034 and a Hastings GF12. I ordered one of each.

Received the filters this week and trial fitted today, all filters will need to be pushed onto the fuel inlet's flange = good fit.

Lots of small holes, this is where the filtered fuel come out.

The holes are fine, not blocked by inlet.

The filter is short but I guess the capacity (filter area) is like the aftermarket, it is shorter but wider.

The supplied upper seal (all kits had one) close off filter perimeter and allow the bowl to seal.

To assure the filter stay I cut an old soft spring and installed in the bowl, but it is possible to try to put the seal "over/outside" filter and close off the edge, ie no spring needed.

'50s Corvette's must have had a shorter bowl, else everything is just like AC & Jaguar intended. Ecklers even sell a stone filter of this version.
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvette ... -1962.html

Maybe there is another US car with AC console that has the "right" one. I'll be running these filters and hope that they will make the bowl dirty over time!
61 OTS Black on Red, 62 FHC nuts & bolts resto on the way to OSG & Matador red.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks for the research, part numbers and pictures. I'll certainly be updating my car when it's re-assembled and back on the road next year.
David
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
trondvo
Norway

Post by trondvo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:12 pm

No need but you are welcome :)

Btw here is the Corvette AC console, dont have the E bowl at hand but somewhat shorter on the Vette? It does not fill the bowl on Vette either and perhaps the spring is not needed.

The "stone" filter from Ecklers ("Porous Sintered Bronze"). Looks like the seal goes under filter and spring not needed.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:11 pm

Good detective work after we discussed searching for cross-matches of my one and only OEM new boxed AC stone filter. I think that OEM part was like the Rosetta Stone (excuse pun) to unlock the mystery of suitable alternative parts. Certainly I wasn't going to mess with inside-dirt-collecting versions and now nobody else should either. Well done.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:55 pm

What about the Malpassi Filter King? For ?45 you get pressure regulation as well. There is a thread in the Upgrades Forum about it.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
trondvo
Norway

Post by trondvo » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:41 am

I am sure the Malpassi is a good upgrade, however the goal was to find a replacement filter for the AC filter console. Back when I got it I ran the OTS without filter for a few years , just the glaze/screen in top of filter console, I do not think SU's are very sensitive to particles but better have the filter element. Think I'll be ordering the bronze filter version one of these days to check it out.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:29 am

Heuer wrote:What about the Malpassi Filter King? For ?45 you get pressure regulation as well. There is a thread in the Upgrades Forum about it.
Nobody with an SU or other carburettor low-pressure pump needs one. The idea of changing to a larger non-original housing to suit the available non-original filter elements seems a bit odd. Like changing to visibly different ITG air filter or a spin-on oil filter purely because the local shop doesn't stock E-type parts.

Nothing wrong functionally with any of those 'upgrades' but most people are happy with the original AC housing and plumbing, they just want a good fuel filter that works as intended, not back-to-front.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:38 am

The SU AUF 300 range of high pressure pumps are designed to provide approximately 140 pints of fuel per hour at a point about 3 foot above the level of the tank. It is thus capable of supplying fuel at this rate when ascending the most severe gradients likely to be encountered. The fuel pressure is about 3.8psi. On the other hand the SU carburetors are designed for a fuel pressure of 2psi and pressures in excess can result in leaks, increased fuel consumption and overly rich running at idle. Filter King is the same size and similar in looks to the AC-Delco filter:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:14 pm

Heuer wrote: Filter King is the same size and similar in looks to the AC-Delco filter
You must be using one of those special Fisherman's tape measures. :-)

My three Filter Kings are 87 mm across the circular section of the head and 120 mm deep, not counting the acorn nut on top. My two spare AC (not AC Delco AFAIK?) filter heads are 58 mm across and about 100 mm deep. Yours seem the same. They do look similar in the same way that a 911 looks like an FHC (two people have assumed my silver FHC was a Porsche! :roll:!)

Standard E-type pumps and carbs match perfectly well. I can testify they keep the fuel supplied even going up Wrynose and Hardknott 1:3 gradients (bit tricky with your 2.88 though...

Pete
PS, thanks for buying Angus lunch. That gets me off the hook for another year.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:49 pm

Size isn't everything!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
trondvo
Norway

Post by trondvo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:35 am

The aftermarket would be "mal di passi" in my OTS, it is going back to '61 David! Have one or two Malpassi's in my pile of old parts, took them off Porsche's going back to mech injection. One of these had that common round external regulator in series with the Malpassi, guess the owner that installed it must have been unaware of the built in regulator. Me neither knew Malpassi's had built in regulator, never thought much about them really but with my new knowledge one will be perfect in my '56 Porsche coupe where I swapped Zeniths for Webers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:15 am

If they are good enough for a Porsche, they are certainly good enough for an E-Type. I believe CMC fit them as a matter of course because of the improvements they have seen in fuel consumption and idle with less chance of fuel leaking from the bowls. I swear by them!

My adventures here: viewtopic.php?t=164&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
trondvo
Norway

Post by trondvo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:59 pm

I decided to use the Hasting GF12 in the OTS, the supplied gasket was slightly better fit around the paper element. Once installed there seem to be no need to use a spring. The "shorty" filter should not come loose. I'll be watching it!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Quattrofrank
Norway

Post by Quattrofrank » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:49 am

Tried to change fuel filter yesterday. The new filter did not fit and I realized that I have an GF124 filter already in place. Reassembeled and did not managed to get it leakproof.
Tried without filter and it did still not get leakproof.
Have ordered a new filter today, but is there any way I can get it to work without the filter? Want to drive it this weekend if possible.

Tried with the o-ring that belong to the filter, but its old and dry and it will not seal.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

golfnut324
United States of America

Post by golfnut324 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:45 pm

I am confused about the installation of this filter/regulator. I have mine in hand with this diagram:

But then David has this picture of his install:

1) Do I have the incorrect part?
or
2) Is there a difference between rhd and lhd fuel line plumbing?
or most likely
3) Am I missing something here?

Thanks
Last edited by golfnut324 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Craig
'68 E-Type FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:01 pm

You have the correct Filter which you should be able to fit as I described. Maybe the photo is confusing - my original filter is on the right lying on the data plate. The Filter King is installed.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

golfnut324
United States of America

Post by golfnut324 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Heuer wrote:You have the correct Filter which you should be able to fit as I described.
Thank you for the reply David. Am I looking at your picture correctly? Does your fuel feed into the vertical fitting on the left side (looking at it)? It's hard to tell how the fuel lines are running. I'm interpreting the diagram to show the horizontal fitting on the right to be the feed. No?
Craig
'68 E-Type FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:24 pm

Just took a better photo which may help. The Filter King has the inlet/outlet reversed compared to the original so the fuel from the tank goes to the right hand union and the feed to the carbs comes from the left hand (downward pointing) union. This means fuel feeds to the outside of the filter so you can easily see if there is debris whereas the original fed to the inside of the filter and you can't see how choked it is.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BRM
Great Britain

Post by BRM » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:41 pm

David, surely the connections in the picture are the opposite of what you describe. I have just looked at my own installation and it is connected exactly as yours - petrol comes into the filter via the left hand vertical connection and leaves via the horizontal one. I think Craig's confusion is due to the diagram showing it the other way round.

Craig, I have just taken mine off to have a look for a reason and if you look on the underside of the casting by the horizontal pipe it says "OUT", which is what I went by even though the instructions say that is the inlet.
Brian

1969 S2 FHC 1R20267
1960 Austin Healey 3000

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:13 pm

Well spotted Brian - I should have said fuel in on the left, out on the right, opposite to the original. This is why we are regularly getting lost when my wife gives me directions!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic