Edis megajolt " trigger-wheels.com"

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
guyjohnwood@aol.com

#1 Edis megajolt " trigger-wheels.com"

Post by guyjohnwood@aol.com » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:59 pm

Dear all,

As Ray is no longer supplying, after some searching I found a similar product at trigger-wheels.com. Does any one have any experience with this product. It reads well, and Chris who has responded very promptly to my emails says that all of his customers are very happy with the product, better power etc etc

Guy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:31 pm

John (kingzetts on the Forum) used their kit. More here: viewtopic.php?t=437&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=340
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kingzetts
Great Britain

Post by kingzetts » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi Guy,
I used a "kit" from Trigger Wheels to install EDIS/Megajolt on my 3.8 about 4 years ago. This was just before Ray Livingstone started selling his kit, and a couple of years later I helped another forum member install Rays kit on his e- type, so I'm in a good position to comment.

Firstly, one must appreciate that there is a big difference between the fully-custom kit which Ray supplied, which was a true "bolt on" solution for the e-type, and the "kit" which Trigger Wheels supply, which is a basic kit to suit any 6 cylinder engine rather than one designed specifically to fit an XK engine perfectly and which requires a significant amount of fabrication and modification of parts and is a long way from being a "bolt on" solution.

The main points to understand are;

The crank sensor bracket TriggerWheels supply is useless on an E Type. The bracket Ray supplied was his own custom design, and you would,need to fabricate a suitable bracket for yourself. I did this for my own installation and it's not particularly difficult if you have reasonable mechanical aptitude.

You need to make sure you get the flat trigger wheel with the central hole., not the "ring gear" type. To fit the flat disc wheel on the e type you need;
- to have the central hole enlarged to make it possible to use a socket on the crank pulley bolt in future (otherwise it is impossible to turn the engine with a wrench when you need to set it to TDC for any reason). I did this with a drill but a milling machine would be better.
- to make a doughnut shaped spacer to fit between the trigger wheel and the front face of the crank pulley, drilled to suit the spacing of the four bolts retaining the crank pulley to the damper. The spacer needs to be deep enough to have the flat wheel standing clear of the pulley by about 5mm or so.
- to drill holes in the trigger wheel to also suit the spacing of the same four bolts. Obviously it is important that these holes are drilled on a perfect circle concentric with the wheel itself so that the wheel is perfectly concentric with the crank when installed.
- the positioning of these holes in the wheel must be selected so that the wheel when installed, places its missing tooth appropriately with respect to the crank sensor and the engine crank position. Ray's kit had slots rather than holes, which allowed the wheel to be rotated for fine adjustment. I made do by careful measurement in relation to the crank sensor (which I had positioned first) and it worked OK, because at that time I did not have access to suitable machining facilities to mill slots. If you have access to a milling machine it is probably worth using the slot approach.
- you will need 4 longer crank pulley retaining bolts to suit the extra depth of the trigger wheel and spacer.

I found the trigger wheels coil pack bracket was fine as far as it went - that is, the coil pack bolted to their bracket fine. If you want to mount the coil pack like Ray did, and which I also did, that's to put it where the distributor lives, then you will need to fabricate additional hardware comprising a round shaft to fit the distributor mounting hole, with a couple of o-ring grooves for oil sealing, attached to a flat plate which (in my case) is then welded to the bottom of the TriggerWheels bracket, with a hole in the plate to accept the bolt which retains the distributor base clamp.

Of course you also have to make a bracket to mount the EDIS unit somewhere suitable, the same for the Megajolt, and make up a custom wiring loom, and break into the vacuum hoses near the manifold and runs vac pipe to the Megajolt, but those are all straightforward enough.

I hope this is helpful to anyone considering using the Trigger Wheels kit. I'm afraid I did not take any photos of my installation, but iam happy to answer any questions anyone might have. And, I can shout from the rooftops that the EDIS system is a really great upgrade and well worth persevering with.

Finally, I recommend reading the EDIS/Megajolt thread which David Jones has stickied in the upgrades section. This contains photos of Rays kit, and if you compare these to the Trigger Wheels "kit" you can see that there are a lot of custom parts in Rays kit which are not available anywhere anymore as a far as I know.
John '62 S1 OTS (now sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
guyjohnwood@aol.com

Post by guyjohnwood@aol.com » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:38 pm

Dear John and David,

Thanks to both of you, particularly John for his detailed response. I find the forum to be really helpful, and you have both just confirmed why!

The chap who is restoring my car is the sort of person who can put his hand to anything, so I will have a chat with him.

Regards,

Guy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neal herridge
Great Britain

Post by neal herridge » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:52 pm

Guy.
Webcon are about to launch a kit based around their PRO5 ECU.
They say it will include every thing needed to fit to an E-type, brackets/trigger wheel/sensor loom etc just bolt on.
It will be ready they say at the end of the month, don't know a price yet.
I was planning to go the trigger wheels route as machining is what I do,so making brackets etc is no problem but will see what Webcon offer first.
There was a small article about it a few months ago in Jaguar World.
Neal.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

pmansson
Sweden

#6 Webcon solution: status?

Post by pmansson » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:55 am

I ordered the kit from Trigger Wheels and got stuck with the hardware issue for mounting the "distributor". The wheel was wrong as well, but Trigger Wheels said they would exchange this. I have not done anything for 6 weeks on this issue on this particular car.
But just read about the Webcon solution, which might be an easier option. The car is running very well on its stock distributor and Mangoletsi throttle kit, although the brake pedal is far to close to the alu plate of the gas pedal. I need to remove the brake and clutch pedal and have a blacksmith heat and bend them. They are for a LHD car (and the car is LHD) so it?s not an easy exchange.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

WebconUK
Great Britain

Post by WebconUK » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:37 am

Our kits will hopefully be ready just into the new year. All the development work is done, and we are just now waiting for the custom parts to come in so we can build the kits.

They will be 100% turnkey with specially designed trigger wheel, sensor mount, distributor plug, coil mount, bulkhead harness plate etc. Kits will be suitable for LHD and RHD cars

Initially we will have kits for SU equipped cars which use a MAP sensor for load, and shortly after we will have kits for Weber equipped cars using a TPS.

Any questions, please feel free to ask

Regards

Martin Eva

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vr6-er
Great Britain

Post by vr6-er » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:46 pm

How much will they be Martin?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

WebconUK
Great Britain

Post by WebconUK » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:36 pm

The complete ignition kits will be ?1095 plus vat. This will be either SU or Weber equipped cars and will contain everything you need down to the last nut and bolt

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

steve3.8
Great Britain

Post by steve3.8 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:29 pm

neal herridge wrote:Guy.
Webcon are about to launch a kit based around their PRO5 ECU.
They say it will include every thing needed to fit to an E-type, brackets/trigger wheel/sensor loom etc just bolt on.
It will be ready they say at the end of the month, don't know a price yet.
I was planning to go the trigger wheels route as machining is what I do,so making brackets etc is no problem but will see what Webcon offer first.
There was a small article about it a few months ago in Jaguar World.
Neal.
Take a look at the " NODIZ " unit , it does everything and more , there is no need for a separate edis unit so there's less wiring and connector plugs .
It also has bluetooth connectivity so viewable on an iphone as a digital dashboard , 16 x 16 mapping .

http://nodiz.co.uk/nodizpro-features.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NODIZ-3D-Mapp ... 6WyFlSml6g
Steve3.8

64 3.8 fhc, 67 4.2 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:36 am

Are you suggesting we use one and a half units Steve, or thst we cut two cylinders off the XK? :oops:
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

steve3.8
Great Britain

Post by steve3.8 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:38 am

PeterCrespin wrote:Are you suggesting we use one and a half units Steve, or thst we cut two cylinders off the XK? :oops:
Not at all Pete , initially nodiz were 4 cylinder only , now they support 4 , 6 and 8 cylinder .

Are you thinking they support 4 cylinder only ?
Steve3.8

64 3.8 fhc, 67 4.2 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:01 am

Yeah. Read your second link. In the eBay item description it stays:"...mappable ignition controller for four-cylinder spark ignition engines." No mention of sixes. I see the alternative link mentions them.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
guyjohnwood@aol.com

Post by guyjohnwood@aol.com » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Thanks Steve,

Much appreciated, as at ?1,095 plus VAT is somewhat expensive.

Regards,

Guy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

steve3.8
Great Britain

Post by steve3.8 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:57 pm

Maybe these links can explain better .

Steve3.8

64 3.8 fhc, 67 4.2 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

WebconUK
Great Britain

Post by WebconUK » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:45 am

guyjohnwood@aol.com wrote:Thanks Steve,

Much appreciated, as at ?1,095 plus VAT is somewhat expensive.

Regards,

Guy
Guy. Our new system will suit those who want a fully mapped, professionally engineered turnkey solution that is completely plug and play, and I guess that won't necessarily appeal to everyone.

Once we have finished the installation instructions and kit list, I will post a link so you can see what you get for your money.

As an aside, if anyone is passing Sunbury, just by J1 of the M3, give us a call on 01932 787100 and you are welcome to drop by and take a look at the system fitted to our development E Type and chat to our development team.

Martin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
guyjohnwood@aol.com

Post by guyjohnwood@aol.com » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanks Martin,

I have no doubt that the product which you will be selling will be first class. Unfortunately, I had read somewhere else that it would be significantly less expensive than this. I suppose it is about managing expectations, not only technical, but financial too.

I may yet change my mind, but have two cars to fit.

Regards,

Guy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

WebconUK
Great Britain

Post by WebconUK » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Guy.

I think the confusion arose over the Jaguar World article that stated the price of the ECU was ?520 plus vat. This is still true, but somewhat misleading as of course you need a box load of parts to go with the ECU.. If only we got the chance to edit the copy before it was printed.... I should also point out that our ECU has full EFI capability, so you will not need another ECU in future if you chose to upgrade to Engine Management.

The offer still stands though, if you are anywhere near Sunbury, please do pop in and see the product in the flesh. At least that will set the ignition system benchmark for you.

Martin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:42 pm

To put this in perspective the EDIS/Megajolt system kit Ray Livingston sold a few years back was $750 and he was doing them from his home workshop. So I think the current offering is good value especially once you experience the benefits!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

Post by Gfhug » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:13 pm

Hello David, what are the benefits of circa ?1300 inc VAT plus time/effort of fitting?
An honest question to appreciate the value of some of the upgrades available.

Thanks
Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic