Rear suspension height part 2 !!

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
commemorative74
Cyprus

#1 Rear suspension height part 2 !!

Post by commemorative74 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:42 pm

Firstly thank you to everyone who responded to my original post. My newly assembled BOGE rear shocks turned up yesterday and I have spent today fitting them.

When I compared the original SPAX shocks to the new BOGE the eyelet centers of the Spax were approx. 18mm longer. Once installed I let the car down. There was a definite difference - the ride height at the rear dropped about 70mm. I took it for a little ride up and down the drive, went over a few ramps, then parked her up.

The measurement from the ground to the underside of the differential tie plate is approx. 220mm, which is still about 20mm too high. I still haven't adjusted the front torsion bars but during my measurement taking I jacked the front picture frame up to the specified workshop manual measurement.

The petrol tank is full - I even put some gym weights in the boot. It just seems that the springs are slightly too stiff and will not reduce anymore - I am hoping that once I get her on the road and take her for a good drive the rear will drop even further as going up and down the drive is not really having a great effect.

One of the posts suggested the GAZ adjustable platform shocks, which, in hindsight seem a good idea. But I wasn't expecting to still have a ride height problem.

Has anyone got any more thoughts on this.

Alex

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:09 pm

Hi Alex.....do you have spacers fitted....this could explain the extra height.....20mm is about the size of spacers fitted for those that need a bit more lift....to ride the speed bumps..
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kalle Borg

Post by Kalle Borg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:48 pm

My experience is that if you by mistake have been supplied shock absorbers for XJ (your SPAX) the difference in length is about 15 - 20 mm. They are similar in al other matters. i e XJ shocks are shorter than E S3 shocks. It makes about one inch in difference of riding hight.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
commemorative74
Cyprus

Post by commemorative74 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi there

Thanks for your comment, I think you are probably right and I have been supplied the incorrect springs. I purchased a set of adjustable platform GAZ shocks and installed those. I managed to get the rear ride height absolutely spot on as per the workshop manual.
Regards Alex

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic