Alloy radiator for Series 2

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#1 Alloy radiator for Series 2

Post by Monkeyfinger » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:56 pm

In the UK there is an array of alloy radiators available...does anyone have any experience of these, and a recommendation of where I should look for the best quality and performance?
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Alloy radiator for Series 2

Post by abowie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:46 pm

Just to throw a spanner in the works.

I have aluminium radiators fitted to both my S1 cars, along with Cool Cat fans, and this is a big improvement on the original.

In my S1.5, which has the same radiator and dual fans as your S2, I have the original radiator, which works very well, even in 40*C heat. All I ever did to it was have the top and bottom tanks taken off and have the cores cleaned out.

If you look around, you'll find a huge variation in the price of aluminium aftermarket rads. I put the cheapest EBay radiator I could find in my S1 roadster. The PO of my S1 coupe fitted a very expensive, brand name radiator. It cost about 7 times as much as my cheapo one. Both are still working, and both cool well. I am not, so far convinced, that you get what you pay for here.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#3 Re: Alloy radiator for Series 2

Post by Monkeyfinger » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:51 am

Thanks Andrew...I guess another option would be a very efficient 'standard' radiator as you say.
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#4 Re: Alloy radiator for Series 2

Post by 1954Etype » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:09 am

Unless you want one for aesthetics only, there is no benefit from fitting one. We have standard radiators rebuilt with upgraded cores (if required) but a properly functioning cooling system works perfectly ok.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#5 Re: Alloy radiator for Series 2

Post by politeperson » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:12 am

My standard radiator was corroded and leaking.

I took it to Boston Motorcool who refurbished it with a modern core for £225 incl VAT.

I refitted it with new hoses and a Fosseway otter switch. My mobile auto electrician refurbished the original twin fans for £70, I refinished the shroud with a satin black crackle paint.

The car easily holds its temperature, even when I was stuck on the M25 for 2 hours in the heat, crawling in first gear.

Difficult to see why you would want to spend more? I also did the heater matrix, all the other hoses, might do the bulkhead heater pipes this winter.

I might move to Evan waterless coolant now all that is sorted.

James
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: Alloy radiator for Series 2

Post by Heuer » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:51 am

I have had a Cambridge Motorsports alloy radiator fitted since 1999 and after 50,000 miles it is going strong. I also have one of their gorgeous curved header tanks which looks so good it should have been standard:

http://www.cambridgemotorsport.com/partsxy/79062
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

FHCINSC
United States of America

#7 Re: Alloy radiator for Series 2

Post by FHCINSC » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:16 pm

I’m going to be doing something about my radiator very soon. I do have a place locally that could re-core it but the money that they quoted was not that different from some of the prices that I’ve seen for new aluminum ones. The price is for all of this seem to be much higher than I would expect. I wanted to ask if anyone has found a less expensive option for the series 2 cars. Mine is a 69 FHC.
Thank you Anthony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#8 Re: Alloy radiator for Series 2

Post by Tom W » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:03 pm

I bought a 2nd hand standard S2 rad off someone who was swapping it for an alloy one for no reason other that the alloy one was perceived to be an upgrade. I cleaned it out with kettle descaler which removed quite a bit of crud, and had to replace the studs for the otter switch were snapped. It is much better than my leaking original, which got a bit marginal an heavy traffic. At some point, I’ll get my original re-cored and refit that, but I expect the biggest difference will be when I eventually strip the engine and get the block cleaned. There’s only so much sludge you can get out by draining and flushing the coolant.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sarthe72
Great Britain

#9 Re: Alloy radiator for Series 2

Post by Sarthe72 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:22 pm

I bought an alloy radiator from Welsh Enterprises for my 1961 flat floor far cheaper than I could get one in the UK. I have no idea as to the price you have been quoted but maybe this will be cheaper:-

https://www.welshent.com/Jaguar-E-Type- ... 24202.aspx

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

FHCINSC
United States of America

#10 Re: Alloy radiator for Series 2

Post by FHCINSC » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks all. It seems like my options for aluminum are to take a risk on a Chinese radiator or pay about $750 bucks for something made in the US. I believe I can get my original copper recored for about $400 and I’m leaning that way right now.

Just curious if anyone knows which fan this is on my car.
Thanks
Anthony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#11 Re: Alloy radiator for Series 2

Post by Tom W » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:21 pm

They’re not standard S2 fans. They’re probably a standard size Spal fan or similar from a catalogue, rather than off another car. I expect they shift more air and draw less current than the originals. The only downside is they don’t look particularly period correct. Do they work alright?
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

FHCINSC
United States of America

#12 Re: Alloy radiator for Series 2

Post by FHCINSC » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:15 pm

Yes Tom they do work well. I realized earlier today they were blowing the wrong way. Reversing the wiring fixed that. Now they blow air from the radiator toward the engine. I presume that is right.
I will still be planning to recore my radiator because of 90 degree SC weather that will be here before I know it.

Thanks much!
Anthony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sarthe72
Great Britain

#13 Re: Alloy radiator for Series 2

Post by Sarthe72 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:43 am

It seems you have hit on the right way to go, but out of curiosity I had a look elsewhere just to compare prices.

https://www.coolcatcorp.com/Merchant5/m ... ry_Code=CS

I use their fan on my S1 3.8 and it is a great improvement over the two-bladed windmill. If your's work then fine, but if one day you need to change then just bookmark this site. You never know!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic