Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
politeperson
Great Britain

#1 Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by politeperson » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:43 pm

Afternoon, My name is James from Lincolnshire.

This is my car that I brought 3 months ago.

It is a fairly early S2 4.2 FHC manual Opalescent Silver Grey with red leather. It covered 73,000 miles from new with USA history.

It had been in storage on the West Coast of America since the 1990s, the previous long term owner being a doctor.

A dealer landed it in the UK in April 2016, I bought it from him sight unseen, on the basis it was a running, rust free project car with matching numbers and in its original colour scheme inside and out. After paying the money, it arrived at our place 2 days later.

3 months ago I knew nothing much about e types. How things have changed.

An inspection on the ramps revealed sound condition, with no repairs or rust anywhere to be seen. A pretty good start. All the correct spot welds in attendance. An unmolested car.

My time during the day is occupied by real work and a young family, so I had evenings and weekend to get it done.

My mobile dent man car around and took out various little parking dinks. We also removed the bonnet lower air intake panel to gain access to the lower valance, that had a bow in it which has now gone. I understand these cross headed screws rarely come undone with a screwdriver, well they did this time. This was fairly representative of the ease with which everything came off the Jag. No corroded bolts anywhere. Maybe this is one of the main reasons why it is now back on the road so soon.

Here is a picture as the car arrived. You note the USA running lights, LHD, Chrome Wheels, mismatched door cards, wipers parked LHD side.

The IRS was a bit grubby but had no corrosion and had the original factory finishes, Glyptol and Black with Cadmium and zinc plate. It Cleaned up perfectly.

I decided I wanted a RHD car and I also wanted a car I could drive somewhere without having to worry to much about being left by the side of the road.

A compression test of the engine was good, so my plan was to buy all the perishable bits, retain as much of the original stuff as possible, replace where necessary and leave the paint until winter.

A brief summary of what I completed includes dropping the IRS to replace diff seals, shocks, springs, bushes, callipers, discs, new yellow nuts and bolts, braided brake lines.

LHD to RHD conversion including new masters, slaves, throttle assembly, pedal, seals grommets, refinishing the bulkhead, alterations to the pluming, steering rack, ball joints, front shocks, springs, engine mounts.

A mobile local auto electrician spent 3 days shortening the loom from one side of the dash to the other. He also rewired/ refurbed the cooling fans and heater motor fan.

I fitted new dash thirds, re-skinned then in vinyl, refitted the clocks, glove box, new dash top. The choke and heater mechanisms were fiddly to reinstall.

On the engine, I rebuilt the carbs (they were leaking), did the valve clearances, replaced the cam oil feed, fitted hi-torque starter (excellent), 123-tune dizzy (nice), new heat shield (lovely) re-cored the original radiator, fitted a new otter switch, new hoses, water pump, new Cheney clips and removed the balast resistor.

Under the engine bay I also replaced the voltage regulator, did the mudguard rubbers, re-secured the bulkhead heater pipes, relocated the fluid reservoirs with new brackets, refurbished the crusty heater box with new heat exchanger, paint and seals. All the ties are the correct period ones. I replaced the air filter box, intake and breather pipes. This meant buying two new mounting brackets.

I replaced the exhaust for a stainless item, accurately fitting it required the use of a proper 2 post ramp for access.
Inside I replaced the door cards, relined the sills with new vinyl and chrome strips, fitted new carpets and re-coloured and replaced various panels. A couple of dash warning lights needed replacing too (expensive). The reverse switch and handbrake warning switch were replaced. The seat bolts are cross headed screws that came undone easily, luckily.
I changed the wiper position from LHD to RHD in about 15 minutes by altering the position of the motor arm. New wiper arms fitted with new blades.

I didn't fancy running around on 50 year old wires so I purchased a set of new silver 6J wheels with period looking Michelin XVX tyres to fill out the wheel arches and try to give me as large a rolling radius as possible to combat the 3.51 gearing in the LSD ( as it happens the gearing is fine). I replaced the federals with twin ears at the same time.
New brakes/callipers all round. Yellow Cadmium looking nuts and bolts all round too.

At the rear I fitted Lotus lights, chopped down the US number plate holder and fitted a rectangular plate to clean the back up a bit.

I completed the work 3 weeks ago and now have 1,000 miles of the car. It seems very good so far.

I quite like the "mat" finish, but I suspect I shall go to town on the paint over the winter.

The most important thing for me to do though is rust prevention.

I shall be cavity injecting everything shortly with odourless wax-oyle. Its the rust that comes from the inside that kills these cars, not the rust that starts from the outside.

Driving wise, the car is everything I hoped she would be. Great engine, good brakes. Good handling. Pretty fast. Really special.

This one is a keeper. I am looking forward to meeting more owners.

James
Last edited by politeperson on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:42 am, edited 7 times in total.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
politeperson
Great Britain

#2 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by politeperson » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Some more Pictures,

LHD Before Interior

RHD After

Original Paint under the bonnet

Last edited by politeperson on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
politeperson
Great Britain

#3 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by politeperson » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:47 pm

IRS Cage before new seals etc. No corrosion.

Image[/url]

Engine Bay in May

Image[/url]

Engine bay now (big wheels!)

Last edited by politeperson on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
politeperson
Great Britain

#4 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by politeperson » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:56 pm

A few more Pictures now. Side markers removed, the whole car touched in with with base coat,

Last edited by politeperson on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#5 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by Mark Gordon » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:32 pm

Welcome to the forum, James, and WOW, Good golly Miss Molly! You have done an amazing amount of work in three (or is it two?) months! How long would it have taken you if you didn't have a young family and gainful employment? Congratulations on your purchase and your restoration work. No doubt, you will get many years of enjoyment from your E.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi James.....great work getting your self a nice drivable car........welcolm to the forum.......and enjoy you time here
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

#7 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by Nickleback » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi James,
Welcome to the forum, great work, amazed by what you have done in such a short space of time, well done & enjoy !! :dance:
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
politeperson
Great Britain

#8 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by politeperson » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:38 pm

Thanks chaps.

The e-type and I were in West Sussex last week for the Festival of Speed.

1.5 hrs on the M25 crawling in first and no overheating.

Pretty wet when I got there though.

Stayed at New house farm East Dean. Went to the Fox Goes Free and the Star and Garter.

A great time with the lads.
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#9 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by malcolm » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:53 am

Welcome to the forum. Great Job!
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

#10 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by David Oslo » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Outstanding amount of work done, that would take most others a year or two. Anyhow, I like the satin finish, at least on the pictures. Have you considered employing the services of one of the good 'car-polishers' to come around and properly polish up the paint, using the correct pads and compounds. It's mentioned elsewhere on the forum, a few guys have done it with good success. Might save yourself a 5-10 grand repaint, and you'll still have a bit of the patina of the original paint.
David
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
politeperson
Great Britain

#11 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by politeperson » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:02 pm

Hello David,

The paint is past it.

The car looks like it has spent 20 years driving through a sand storm. It is very thin in places. Silver Grey through to the original red undercoat then bare metal. One top coat!

I quite like the effect, It is a mixture of mat silver and shiny chrome.

A survivor car.

Modern paint would be water based 2 pack with a gloss laquer over.

I suspect all the paint needs removing before bodywork.

Of course the body has to be razor straight as well. Otherwise the reflections will be all over the place.

The body on my car is very good indeed for something so old.

However, to do the car justice the chrome has to come off, the glass has to come out, the hanging panels off (leave the bonnet on I think) and loads of high build and flatting.

I think it is a 3-5k job, as the interior and under the bonnet are good, so just need masking off.

Peculiarly, the windscreen and seal are good, so no point on removing them for paint as far as I can see.

All the same its a fairly big job but could be much much worse.

I will see how I feel over the winter.

Today I fitted new under dash harduras and mill board, sorted the disco light hand brake warning light and put new engine mounts and an upper gearbox bulkhead bush/ mount.

The mounts that came out were well out of shape and as hard as diamond. I reckon the engine had dropped 8mm at the front. Guess this is what happens when you push rubber downwards with 300 lbs for 50 years.

The middle gearbox bush was totally worn away on one side, the threaded rod was waggling around with no resistance.

The upper mount was ripped and hard.

I could see it would be an easy mistake to over tighten the middle mount, without adjusting the lower threaded support, thereby cracking the bulkhead mount.

I bet that has been done once or twice before!

Anyway the gear stick does not waggle around so more under acceleration.
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
politeperson
Great Britain

#12 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by politeperson » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:37 pm

Thinking about it (avoiding the football), I think I am on the last stretch of jobs, but some things are still bugging me, so I would welcome any ideas or suggestions.

The car drives well, even compared to my Tesla Model S- yes its true. Very pleased with the last 1,000 miles. Much cooler than a Model S but-

1) On pushing the brakes, I get some resistance, then some movement with a pop, then brakes on the first push, with a clonk. This seems weird. The servo is the only bit I have not changed. This needs investigation. New calipers, lines pads master and pedal. Hope nothing is falling off.

2) At low speed (and turning right), in first gear-I get a mild clonk clonk clonk under mild acceleration. Sounds like the gearbox. Weird.

3) pretty sure I am getting a clonk from the front suspension.

I have done the front ball joints, shocks and steering rack but nothing else at the front. When I get some more time I shall get it my friends proper garage so I can check with a pry bar.

In the meantime if anyone has any pointers, that would be appreciated.
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#13 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:05 pm

If its been off the road for 25 years i would really consider replacing all the suspension snd steering bushes.....I can recomend the black poly bushas as supplied by SNG.....I called the tech team of the company that make them and with the black ones they use a poly compoud thats as near as they can get to rubber
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SEJohnson95
Great Britain

#14 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by SEJohnson95 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:01 am

The car looks lovely James, and a credit to your work over the past few months - taking productivity to a new level! You have plenty of time to decide whether or not to repaint. Indeed, old cars which actually look old often corner more interest at shows - there are hundreds of immaculate E-Types out there :wink: enjoy it and drive it, that's exactly what I would do.
Simon Johnson
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Nottingham
E-type Club magazine contributor
Chasing the dream of a S1 4.2 OTS, but plan on getting an E ASAP!
Lucky passenger in a 1962 FHC - See restoration thread

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

#15 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by David Oslo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:49 pm

A clonk (click) from the front end can be a worn bush or rack-bar on the steering rack on the side opposite to the pinion. The rack can be rebushed and reamed. But I guess you've got a brand new rack. And TRE's. Have you checked the wheel bearings?

The paint, I understand what you have, mine was also a survivor car, worn through on a few spots, but still shiny. Wrong colour though. So I've done a bare metal & colour change. Epoxy primer, surfacer, water based colour, then clear. All 2K (2-component) apart from the water base. Did 95% of the hours myself, got a local bodyshop to shoot the clear, my gun & paint booth wasn't quite up to it. I used Cromax system all the way through. I had quotes from UK for £7K just for the dismantle, refinish, reassemble. So depending on what you do yourself you can work the cost downwards. The good quality paint products will set your bodyshop back around £1.5k - £2k even with their trade discount. I would recommend to remove the screen, sideglass, tailgate glass. In terms of effort & hassle, in order to not have a little bead of masking tape edge or the old colour peeking from the edge of the screen seals. Since I was doing a complete colour change I also pulled the engine, suspension and interior. Certainly made it easier to work on, but added another 6 months to the job. But if you're on the same colour you do save a big amount of effort just doing the outsides.

At low speed, turning left, no clonk-clonk noise? Only turning right?

Brakes, sounds like you need to overhaul the servo cylinder. It's simple with the Lockheed overhaul kit. Otherwise buy a complete assembly.
David
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
politeperson
Great Britain

#16 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by politeperson » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:48 pm

Thanks David,

Yes, Servo overhaul it is then.

I have just ordered the front suspension bushes and bolts.

I shall keep you informed of the gearbox clunk clunk.

James
Last edited by politeperson on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

#17 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by Moeregaard » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:06 pm

Looks like a good, solid car--and you've gotten a lot done in a short time. One source of clunks in the front end can be found in the lower damper mount, where the bolt passes through the lower wishbone and steel damper bushing. This bushing often seizes to to the bolt and over time the bolt stretches and allows just enough movement to cause a clunk. It's easy enough to rectify, so definitely worth having a look in this area.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
politeperson
Great Britain

#18 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by politeperson » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Thanks Moeregaard, Ill have a look,

Yesterday I took it all to bits, so ill have a look.

James
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rubyfloriley
Great Britain

#19 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by rubyfloriley » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi
Just been looking at this but unfortunately all the pics are obscured for some reason or is there a secret to opening them?
Regards
Brian
PS whats your day job Mechanic!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
politeperson
Great Britain

#20 Re: Off the Road for 25 Years, On the road in 8 weeks

Post by politeperson » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:48 am

Flamin eck Brian, they have all vanished. Hope its not a Cyber attack.

I am sure David will notice, otherwise I can re-post them.

My day job is a surveyor, but 25 years ago I did complete a 2 year full time City and Guilds course at the Colchester Institute in Motor Vehicle Restoration. It was an excellent course. Lots of metal forming, welding, mechanical work painting, trimming, electrics, vehicle history. We even had to put on a classic car show. Every week we would visit a motor vehicle restoration company. We visited Rod Jolly coach builders, PA Wood Rolls Royce and many others. We even visited Bart Holland . Remember him?

Anyway the car is in great health, here it is yesterday. Next long trip is the Festival of Speed in a couple of weeks.

James
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic