Rebuild update / steering conversion question

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
aaaron
Great Britain

#1 Rebuild update / steering conversion question

Post by aaaron » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi folks
Progress is continuing on my project. New floors are in, recovered dash is mounted. I started looking to install the steering column (now RHD being converted from LHD) and thought I would be able to swap the ignition switch to the left of the column and indicator stalk to the right. But it doesn't appear as straightforward as I was led to believe :) Any advice about how to rotate the ignition switch 180 degrees? It looks like there may be a plug of some sort pressed into the switch housing. If so, (how) do I remove it.
Thanks again everyone. This forum is awesome.
Allan
Allan
1973 Series 3 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Rebuild update / steering conversion question

Post by abowie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:15 am

Difficult to be accurate without knowing what series and year your car is. If you put that info into your signature it makes things easier.

My experience with the indicator stalks is that once you have removed the mount from the column housing and welded it on the other side you can get it all to work. You will probably have to fiddle with some washers as shims to get the self cancel to work properly. Wiring should not change.

WRT the ignition switch there are a number of iterations from a simple plate mount brazed onto the column housing through to steering column locks. On my S1.5 I eventually just left the switch where it was.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
aaaron
Great Britain

#3 Re: Rebuild update / steering conversion question

Post by aaaron » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:07 am

Thanks Andrew. Apologies it's a 73 series 3 OTS. I'll update my signature. Appreciate the help. Allan
Allan
1973 Series 3 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jivili
Great Britain

#4 Re: Rebuild update / steering conversion question

Post by jivili » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:43 am

don't make the same mistake that I did.
I moved the brackets 180 degrees and then the ignition lock hit the mounting bracket so wouldn't fit in the steering column...
Stupid mistake I suppose but something to watch out for....apart from that relatively straightforward to convert

Measure twice cut once

Regards Dean

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
aaaron
Great Britain

#5 Re: Rebuild update / steering conversion question

Post by aaaron » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:34 am

In the interests of helping some other ignorant schmuck doing the steering conversion on a series 3 I though I'd provide a quick update. Firstly I must thank Bill (you know who you are) in Victoria for his incredibly generous and valuable advice.
The upper steering column has an indicator stalk held on with two screws that allows it to easily rotate 180 deg for RHD use. The ignition switch housing is a whole other matter. The housing is held in position by an aluminium plug pressed into the housing and through a hole in the steering column tube. To remove the housing I disassembled the upper column (which required removing the circlip at the front of the column and the bearing housing held on with three small bolts at the rear of the column). Once disassembled I carefully drilled out the plug (using incrementally larger drill sizes). When the plug was removed after a little filing fiddling and tapping the ignition housing can be withdrawn. It seems to have an obvious position when rotated since there is a tab in the actual switch that must align with a hole on the opposite side of the tube. But you need to drill a new locating hole in the tube to secure it in its new position. I threaded the ignition housing hole with an M12 tap. Then following Bill's suggestion I drilled a hole through the centre of an M12 bolt and used this as a drill guide. Screwed this into the housing and drilled through the bolt into the steering tube. Easy peasy. Finally, I turned down the end of another M12 bolt and screwed that into the housing and through the hole to secure the housing in its new position. Reassembled the upper column (after some sandblasting, scotch brighting and spay painting) to come up with a brand new looking upper steering column. No bits left over, works smoothly and looks good.
Oh a tip for getting the circlip back on. I used a metal tube (actually an old spring steel hole saw) about 1" diameter and cut away a portion wide enough to slip the circlip through. Pushed the steering rod through the tube at the end and managed to locate and tap the circlip into its tiny groove.
I know the above all sounds like gobbledygook if you haven't attacked a steering column before. But once you take it apart it'll be clear as... Once again, though. I wouldn't have even known where to start with Bill's help. What a absolute super hero!
Cheers Allan
Allan
1973 Series 3 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

etype73
Australia

#6 Re: Rebuild update / steering conversion question

Post by etype73 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:06 am

Hi Allan, any chance you can point me toward that super hero Bill's article on converting a series 3 roadster from LHD to RHD. I am about to start the process in Brisbane. Thanks, John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
aaaron
Great Britain

#7 Re: Rebuild update / steering conversion question

Post by aaaron » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:14 am

Hi John. I know that Bill monitors this list. He doesn't promote himself on it though for some reason. If he doesn't get back to you directly, send me a private message and i will email you his contact details. Just not sure whether he would want to have it public. Also, if i can help in any way, just let me know.
Cheers
Allan
Allan
1973 Series 3 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic