Smog Pump / Emissions Pump

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
dooley1414
Great Britain

#1 Smog Pump / Emissions Pump

Post by dooley1414 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Hi all.... This is my 1st Post (apart from saying Hi the other day)

I would like some help in advising me on My Smog Pump / Emissions Pump.... that I have removed at the moment on My 1972 Series 3 V12 Texsas Import.... It is seized and was wondering.... If anyone knows where to get mine reconditioned or you can get a new one or is it possible to have the system removed altogether? Anyone's Help will be much appreciated.... :helpsign: 8-)
Ex. Texas Import 1971 Series 3 V12
Des. Suffolk.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#2 Re: Smog Pump / Emissions Pump

Post by MarekH » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:32 pm

It is possible to remove it altogether and the Parts Manual for your car will show what is connected to what and the various combinations of emissions hoses and wiring fitted at different times.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
dooley1414
Great Britain

#3 Re: Smog Pump / Emissions Pump

Post by dooley1414 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi.... Thanks for The reply.... I'll have to have a look into it.... but on the other hand I'm thinking I might like to keep it as orginal as possible.... is there any down sides or upsides if I kept it or removed it?

Thanks Again.
Ex. Texas Import 1971 Series 3 V12
Des. Suffolk.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#4 Re: Smog Pump / Emissions Pump

Post by MarekH » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:06 pm

The downside is that it doesn't currently work, needs remedial work and will become the source of vacuum leaks in future anyway.

There is no upside that I can think of - it simply pumps air into the exhaust to perhaps reduce NO emissions which it does by burning more petrol to make a fan belt power a pump. Pretty dumb really.

Feel free to use a name. We are not robots.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Whitact
Great Britain

#5 Re: Smog Pump / Emissions Pump

Post by Whitact » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi,
My OTS recently returned from 2,800 miles on the RBCD with a rattle that turned out to be the air pump bearings on their way out. As the rest of the car is original I did not want to remove the air injection. None of the usuals in the UK could supply a replacement. After some research inspired by Kirby Palm's book I discovered that these pumps were fitted to a wide range of GM cars in the USA and are still available from Cardone. Their website also indicates that they offer a repair and rebuild service.
The Jaguar parts book lists different units for US and RoW cars. The US version appears to be Cardone 32-128 while the UK version looks like its a Cardone 32-107. I do not know the reason for the different parts.
In any event they are readily available on ebay and via other US re-sellers and are not too expensive. So I have a 32-107 on order and plan to fit it asap.
Cheers,
Adrian Turner
S3 OTS & FHC
S1 FHC
XK140 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic