Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

#1 Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by ralphr1780 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:21 am

:helpsos: windshield duly fitted, rubber insert strip well in place, no way to fit the bottom chrome finisher. So what is the trick?
There is a hole on each side of the chrome strip, is it meant for a pin / screw / cable?!
Thanks in advance for the guiding comments.
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#2 Re: Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by MarekH » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:10 am

You should be able to see where it may have been screwed in before if you look carefully.

The trick is pull like crazy, having screwed it in on one side. The new rubber has 45 years less compreession on it and stands pround a little bit. Over a two metre length, that can add up to making the exterior chrome strip look at least 1cm short. A little lubrication on the rubber would probably help to chrome strip slide over it more easily and thus pull to shape as required.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#3 Re: Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by 1954Etype » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:30 am

Hmmmm, not sure they should be screwed! I think the holes were there as part of the manufacturing process.

Trick is to hold it at each end and gently bounce it up and down while trying to increase the curvature without cracking the chrome.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

#4 Re: Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by ralphr1780 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks Marek and Angus.
The rubber is new, so is the windshield.
The chrome strip is original and has been rechromed. I got plenty of chrome leafing away during the handling.
I can get it ok in the middle section under the rubber lips, but both sides are proudly pointing up. If I push any of the sides down to meet the rubber, it immediately bows out in the middle.
I doubt there would have been screws in there, danger of hitting the glass. But have used the holes to tie up a wire held to A post on the holes meant for the side finishers.
My impression is that the rubber is sitting too vertical.
Would a new chrome strip be more flexible to work with than an original one?
Few hours already spent on this, which could have been much more productive elsewhere :seeingstars:
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by mgcjag » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi Ralph...have you seen these suction hold down clamps.....very usefull for holding trim in place whilst getting it to fit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-6-Piec ... Sw6wRW~qxn
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#6 Re: Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by 1954Etype » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi Ralph,

You could try glueing it in the middle, let it set then move a bit further along and glue and secure it in position. Carry on doing this until you reach the end. I have seen these strips glued on a lot of cars.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#7 Re: Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by MarekH » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:55 pm

That suggests that the previous restoration work done on mine had been somewhat less than conventional in this respect - there are screw holes for self tappers all around the windshield chrome bodywork, both high and low and some clever wag had decided to bolt in the lower windshield strip to the car via the eyelets at either end. If your car has screw holes for this sort of thing then it makes sense to try and reuse them.

I guess it pays to photograph everything before taking it apart.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

#8 Re: Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by ralphr1780 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:43 pm

The new windscreen is just few mm wider, this is pushing the seal a bit vertical making the fitting of the chrome strip impossible. And I cannot pull the windscreen back as it would sit too high for the side clamps. Aaargh...
The holes in the strip are definitely to insert a wire and pull it on both sides into place then bed in the rubber lips on top.
Will now order a new chrome strip to check whether the profile can be altered under surgery to fit, and will keep the original aside.
I got few scratches in the paint on the bulkhead, despite all coverings, caused by chrome flakes sneaking under. Time for a halt and a solid drink!
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#9 Re: Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by rfs1957 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:32 am

Try this for similar head-scratching.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9227&start=10

I searched back to find this as I had found it helpful when I was struggling with my lower chrome trim last year, I never resolved it at the time but now have the screen out to have another go.

The blue sucker clamps definitely look useful, my difficulty will still be knowing if my chrome trim is long enough as you can't be sure until the thing is fitted - by which time, if you've glued it, it's too late to do anything about it.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

#10 Re: Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by ralphr1780 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Rory what is the brand/manufacturer of your windscreen?
I have received a new chrome strip, when compared with the original it is 15mm longer and looks much more easier to bend/work, did not try to fit it yet.
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#11 Re: Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by rfs1957 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Not sure Ralph, the windscreen, as it came from a non-Jag supplier .......... where did your chrome strip come from, and does it look "original" despite being longer ?! I was going to order one from Wilkinsons but it's a dodgy think to pack and box and ship this far south.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

#12 Re: Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by ralphr1780 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:02 am

Rory, the new windshield came from one leading parts supplier close by, tinted, brand is "fy".
Compared with an original broken triplex that I had kept, the new is few mm wider and taller. This pushes the seal a bit forward and into a more upright position.
The original chrome strip is quite hard to twist or bend, and if forced into place, after hard struggle, falls about 18mm too short.
The new chrome strip comes from sngb, looks more tender to twist and is 15mm longer.
Do you still have your old windshield to compare with the new one?
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kramsart1
New Zealand

#13 Re: Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by kramsart1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:10 am

Panel beater for thirty years. I have just done one of these at work so here is my two cents worth.
I believe the holes in the chrome molding are used to float the molding during the chroming process. I have found the rubber insert or (Claton strip) can appear to be installed but when you use a good sized Claton wright tool to insert the Claton strip you will get a deeper fit and make more room for the chrome molding.
It is important to position the chrome molding so it is just covered by the corner molding on the side you start on because they often cut the moldings a bit short and you can't slide it along once it is fitted. If your molding is too short you are in trouble. We lengthened ours in the brass before chroming to give our selves some room.
be careful pulling the chrome strip taught because it is very easy to tear the windscreen rubber.
Good luck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#14 Re: Windshield bottom chrome finisher

Post by Polse7317 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:22 pm

I had the same problems with the chrome , i finaly succeeded with a few light cuts on one side of the chrome blades, and with the ""magic" succion press , bending carefully on the knees :

Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic