bonnet 8 point connection

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
david muir
Scotland

#1 bonnet 8 point connection

Post by david muir » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:39 pm

Busy doing headlamp relay upgrade........is there a wiring diagram of colour to number in either manual-can't find!! Everything worked before now chasing Red/yellow to put feed in from alternator. G
uess it doesn't matter as long as everything matches . Horn goes to centre pin-correct??

{1964 3.8L, just on change over to 4.2}
1964 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by abowie » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:42 am

Are you talking about the 8 pin plug, or the bakelite connector in the bonnet itself?
The plug wires are numbered in the connector from 1 to 8. If you look on the wiring diagram the wires are marked with the correct number, in a circle. So for example low beam is 3, high beam is 2, etc.
The bakelite connector needs a little thought to get the wires, particularly the earths, correct. At first it seems there aren't enough slots, but a bit of trial and error will get it right.
The red yellow wire is for fog lamps; unless you have them fitted you needn't worry about it although I have found uses for it in the past, either as an additional earth wire or to bypass another wire when it was broken inside the loom.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#3 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by christopher storey » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:20 am

David - I am puzzled ( and a little bit concerned) about your reference to an alternator feed . This can have no valid connection to the bonnet plug at all?? In any event , if you are using an alternator on a 3.8, you really need to use the early 4.2 circuit diagram

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
david muir
Scotland

#4 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by david muir » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:06 am

Sorry Christopher, my question wasn't worded very clearly! Doing the headlamp /relay upgrade and (think it was suggested on here?) was going to take the large feed to the front lamps from the spare +ve terminal on the alternator rather than go back to the battery.
1964 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#5 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by christopher storey » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:49 am

David : unless I have misunderstood the scheme, I don't like that idea at all. It seems to me that it would leave you essentially with an unfused supply to the lights at all times when the engine was running . Also, if for any reason e.g. broken drive belt the alternator ceased to transmit current, at night you would have a sudden loss of both main and dipped beam which if the car was in motion could be highly dangerous . Would it not also result in the light intensity continuously varying with alternator output voltage ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#6 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by mark10337 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Adam: Can you remember where the red/yellow wire comes out in the main loom? I've seen it on the connector to the bonnet, just never noticed the other end of it anywhere :bigrin:
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#7 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by MarekH » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:36 pm

The bonnet loom red/yellow wire reappears behind the centre panel of the dash.

I think Christopher has almost certainly misunderstood the proposed wiring alteration:- any sensible alternator wiring methodology powers the the battery brown wire and hence the whole car at any revs higher than idle. The alternator's regulator stops light intensity from varying, as the alternator output is regulated to typically 14 to 14.4 volts. When an alternator fails, you are left with battery voltage, rather than nothing. I don't think anyone is envisaging a new unregulated and unfused output from the alternator.

It would be sensible to fuse the front light feed from the alternator.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#8 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by Heuer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:00 pm

I suggested using two fuses in the headlight upgrade (one per headlight) so that if one fuse did blow you would not be left without lights. As Marek says, using the alternator post or battery post makes no difference as they are part of the same circuit. I think the confusion here is there is no 'spare' alternator post - headlight feed should be on the same post as the brown high capacity cable to the battery.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
david muir
Scotland

#9 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by david muir » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Have now completed headlamp/wiring/relay upgrade and am now 'tidying' the headlamp fitment as per info. on this site. Before upgrade my headlamps had adjusters at 9 and 12 o'clock (from front of car) and this allowed the headlamp to be located(on its 3 lugs) correctly in the retaining rim and plate. Now, having moved the bowl/gasket/ adjusters to the 'correct' 3 & 6 o'clock, the headlamp will not locate in the rim and plate!!
Is it definite that adjusters should be at 3 & 6.?[ car is late 3.8 , RHD]. I have seen mention , on here , of adjusters at 9 & 12.
1964 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#10 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by Heuer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:07 pm

Adjusters should be at 3 & 6 o'clock if you have the correct parts.

Check these posts:

viewtopic.php?p=40168#p40168
viewtopic.php?p=49432#p49432

You need to make sure the bowls and retaining rings all match up. Holden sell bowls, rings or a complete unit with adjusting screws at 9 and 12 o'clock :shrug: : https://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct ... e=54520553
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
david muir
Scotland

#11 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by david muir » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Okay, got all correct parts-it's the lamp retaining 'cup' and rim that required 'fettling' so that the Cibie unit (with three lugs not at 120 degrees!) would sit and locate as it should as it should! Nearside headlamp now good, hopefully offside one will be as straightforward.
Thanks for prompt response.
1964 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#12 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by Heuer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:07 pm

Interesting you can get the Cibie headlamp units to fit as I could not with the flat backed housings. Are you using non standard ones?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
david muir
Scotland

#13 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by david muir » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:11 pm

they're Z beams (or what used to be called that!). No problems getting them in(read your historical post) . Great headlights, fantastic cut-off, way up nearside verge. I've never measured the height of the headlamp but will when I take the next one out!
1964 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
david muir
Scotland

#14 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by david muir » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:38 pm

David, Just removed O/S headlamp and its 'depth' (convex of glass to rim of bulb holder) is approx. 4". Once bulb in, depth is approx. 5"
Now tidying up wiring on O/S, have got new 5 way connector but need a photo of where it mounts-anyone??
Sure I've seen a photo somewhere but can't find it now! Wiring was just a mess of insulated connectors(hate them!) and sleeve connectors.
1964 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MontanaDiver
United States of America

#15 Re: bonnet 8 point connection

Post by MontanaDiver » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:16 pm

I understand the rationale behind using two fuses for the headlamps, however would there be a disadvantage to using two circuit breakers instead?
Just thinking about the issue of losing the low beam until I can replace the fuse versus the circuit breaker allowing the lights to work after a temporary short occurred.
Dennis
74 E-type OTS 4 speed
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 convertible
Great Falls, Montana

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic