Replacing headliner in an already trimmed car

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
db7gtgrigio
Australia

#1 Replacing headliner in an already trimmed car

Post by db7gtgrigio » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:16 am

My headliner is sagging and I am feeling brave....the interior trim is otherwise OK. I am wondering if it is feasible to just replace the headlining while all the other trim elements are in situ? Concerned about getting glue on the existing components however am hoping with judicious use of masking that accidents can be avoided.

has anyone successfully done it in this manner?
Chris, Sydney AUS
1969 4.2 FHC 1R20280

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Replacing headliner in an already trimmed car

Post by abowie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:26 am

I had it done in my S1.5. Got a trimmer to do it and it looked really pretty good. They just stuff the edges over the top of the cantrails.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
db7gtgrigio
Australia

#3 Re: Replacing headliner in an already trimmed car

Post by db7gtgrigio » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:04 am

abowie wrote:I had it done in my S1.5. Got a trimmer to do it and it looked really pretty good. They just stuff the edges over the top of the cantrails.
Great to know Andrew.

Now I just need o find a decent trimmer in Sydney. The one who replaced by seat cushion foams I would not go to again...........
Chris, Sydney AUS
1969 4.2 FHC 1R20280

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PhilBell
Great Britain

#4 Re: Replacing headliner in an already trimmed car

Post by PhilBell » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:11 pm

I refitted the headlining to my S1 fhc after it came completely unstuck on the way to Le Mans one year. It was much easier than I feared, and I've never done any trimming work before.

I started by cleaning the old glue off the roof foam and existing headliner with white spirit. Once dry I masked off the car interior (the lengthiest part of the job), including the cant rails, and sprayed the roof foam with an even coat of high-termperature trim adhesive. I then masked off the outer edge of the headliner material (the excess that tucks into the cant rails) and sprayed that with the same adhesive.

I then taped a length of slim bamboo across the rear edge of the roof liner material to prevent it folding in on itself and so that my assistant could hold the headliner under light tension while I fitted it.

I started by tucking the front edge of the headliner into the windscreen cant rail then, working from the centre of the cant rail and progressively working backwards and outwards I used a wallpaper brush to smooth down the headliner, all the while with my assistant holding the bamboo end of the headliner under light tension to keep the unstuck headliner away from the roof.

Once I'd worked all the way to the outer edges and rear of the roof I removed the bamboo cane then tucked the excess headliner material into the cant rails. The wallpapering part of the job took around 15 minutes. Taking my wife out to dinner afterwards about 2 hours.
Phil
1962 FHC 885626

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#5 Re: Replacing headliner in an already trimmed car

Post by politeperson » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:50 pm

On a slightly different tack, my interior is really good also. The original headliner in my car is grey/beige. It does not sag, has no rips but has mould spot and some discoloration. This will not clean off. (scrubbing brush with 20% traffic film remover etc has no effect).

So my plan is to paint the headliner in-situ.

I have done this before and am 95% sure it will work.

My plan is to match the colour of the headliner with matt aerosol.

I will then spend a couple of hours masking off the entire interior and spray it on.

In the past I have done this on faded parcel shelves, white carpets for our photographic studio and other textiles.

I have always been surprised by the quality of the results.

Never done an type headliner, but if past results are anything to go by, it should be wonderful.

I might even start a thread when I do it.

See if it all ends in tears or not.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#6 Re: Replacing headliner in an already trimmed car

Post by chrisfell » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:35 pm

politeperson wrote:.

I mightw even start a thread when I do it.

I will be very interested in the results.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Rustyred
Australia

#7 Re: Replacing headliner in an already trimmed car

Post by Rustyred » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:50 am

politeperson wrote:On a slightly different tack, my interior is really good also. The original headliner in my car is grey/beige. It does not sag, has no rips but has mould spot and some discoloration. This will not clean off. (scrubbing brush with 20% traffic film remover etc has no effect).

So my plan is to paint the headliner in-situ.

I have done this before and am 95% sure it will work.

My plan is to match the colour of the headliner with matt aerosol.

I will then spend a couple of hours masking off the entire interior and spray it on.

In the past I have done this on faded parcel shelves, white carpets for our photographic studio and other textiles.

I have always been surprised by the quality of the results.

Never done an type headliner, but if past results are anything to go by, it should be wonderful.

I might even start a thread when I do it.

I would be very careful about doing it with those spray paints, the solvents in them can eat and soften the foam back and contact adhesive that holds it in place, Don't get me wrong, you can colour them with Dyes and Vinyl paints, but before there glued up. If you did super light coats and let them dry in between you maybe ok.

Goodluck Cheers John
Restoring 73 Series 3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#8 Re: Replacing headliner in an already trimmed car

Post by politeperson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks chaps I will be sure to report the results when I feel brave/stupid enough.

If it all goes wrong at least I will be able to say I sprayed painted the interior of an e type.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic