Goodwood in Sept

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Bill B
United States of America

#1 Goodwood in Sept

Post by Bill B » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Does it make sense to go for just one day? What day would be the best to go for the weekend?

What's the weather like in Sept.

Where's a good place to stay?

What time to get there in the AM to actually get a seat.

Would like to see Jags, Astons, Ferraris, production cars. Not especially fond of formula or prototypes.

Thanks for all advice
S1 OTS 4.2 1966
I really go to put this thing back together

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#2 Re: Goodwood in Sept

Post by Simon P » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:38 pm

If you're coming all that way it wouldn't make much sense to go for just one day. You could easily (and happily) spend a day looking round the paddock and a day watching the races: trying to do both in day is quite hard work!

The weather can go either way. Last year the weather on the Sunday was absolutely glorious - Saturday was a bit of a wash-out though. Most years I've been lucky - a few years ago though I got absolutely soaked to the skin and spent most of the time trying to get undercover. (This is England, what do you expect? :wink: )

Accommodation is a bit more difficult. Anywhere within 30 miles gets booked out well in advance and many places that reckon themselves to be an "ideal base for Goodwood" bump their prices up accordingly. My best suggestion would be to look around early using internet searches and see what's available).

Grandstand seats need to be booked in advance and if you do this you'll either have a seat allocated or be assured of a seat. Note that tickets sell out quite quickly and already tickets for Saturday are getting in quite short supply.

All the cars are beautiful. You'll find yourself admiring cars that you never imagined you'd find interesting. And bikes. And don't even get me started on the fantastic aeroplanes :bigrin:

Like I suspect a lot of people, I tend to fall in and out of love with the Revival Meeting a bit. It's easy to pick fault, and arguably it's something of a victim of its own success. However, there's nothing else quite like it, and on a good day in the late autumn sunshine it really is quite magical...
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bill B
United States of America

#3 Re: Goodwood in Sept

Post by Bill B » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks.

When it rains do you end up walking through mud? Or is there enough pavement.

I don't think I can pack serious rain gear
S1 OTS 4.2 1966

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Goodwood in Sept

Post by mgcjag » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi Bill.....there is lots of hardstanding...its at the racetrack...however most of the car park is just in a field.....have you looked on youtube there are lots of videos that will show you what its like.....all the best.. Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bill B
United States of America

#5 Re: Goodwood in Sept

Post by Bill B » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:06 pm

mgcjag wrote:Hi Bill.....there is lots of hardstanding...its at the racetrack...however most of the car park is just in a field.....have you looked on youtube there are lots of videos that will show you what its like.....all the best.. Steve
I've really found only some nice racing clips. Nice but don't show you the landscape, paddock, accommodations, etc.

Is "hardstanding" pavement?
Most of the road races I go to over here turn into quicksand in the rain.
S1 OTS 4.2 1966

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#6 Re: Goodwood in Sept

Post by Simon P » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:11 pm

The ground drains pretty well, so I've never known mud be a problem - and like Steve says there's plenty of hardstanding and/or compacted gravel. Also like Steve says the entrances and exits of the car parks can become a bit cut up if there's a lot of rain, but if you're not in the 'E' that's unlikely to bother you.
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: Goodwood in Sept

Post by mgcjag » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi Bill..lots of info and photos here....https://www.goodwood.com
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bill B
United States of America

#8 Re: Goodwood in Sept

Post by Bill B » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Simon P wrote:If you're coming all that way it wouldn't make much sense to go for just one day. You could easily (and happily) spend a day looking round the paddock and a day watching the races: trying to do both in day is quite hard work!

The weather can go either way. Last year the weather on the Sunday was absolutely glorious - Saturday was a bit of a wash-out though. Most years I've been lucky - a few years ago though I got absolutely soaked to the skin and spent most of the time trying to get undercover. (This is England, what do you expect? :wink: )

Accommodation is a bit more difficult. Anywhere within 30 miles gets booked out well in advance and many places that reckon themselves to be an "ideal base for Goodwood" bump their prices up accordingly. My best suggestion would be to look around early using internet searches and see what's available).

Grandstand seats need to be booked in advance and if you do this you'll either have a seat allocated or be assured of a seat. Note that tickets sell out quite quickly and already tickets for Saturday are getting in quite short supply.

All the cars are beautiful. You'll find yourself admiring cars that you never imagined you'd find interesting. And bikes. And don't even get me started on the fantastic aeroplanes :bigrin:

Like I suspect a lot of people, I tend to fall in and out of love with the Revival Meeting a bit. It's easy to pick fault, and arguably it's something of a victim of its own success. However, there's nothing else quite like it, and on a good day in the late autumn sunshine it really is quite magical...

"No access to paddock unless you are a member" is my understanding?
S1 OTS 4.2 1966

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#9 Re: Goodwood in Sept

Post by Simon P » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:39 pm

Correct. Us mere mortals are only separated from the paddock by a low 'picket' fence, so you get very close and get a very good view of what's in there, but to actually stroll among the cars and pat (or lick :bigrin: ) them you have to be a member.

This only applies to the central paddock with all the ultra-rare and expensive stuff, all the rest of the paddock areas are free to wander around for everyone.
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#10 Re: Goodwood in Sept

Post by malcolm » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:27 am

If you've never been, you really should, regardless of weather and conditions. Well worth it.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#11 Re: Goodwood in Sept

Post by rfs1957 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:48 am

Bill, activate your pm access, I sent you one 17th but I can see you've never seen it.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

richard btype
Great Britain

#12 Re: Goodwood in Sept

Post by richard btype » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:55 am

Bill

There is only ever one thing to spoil the experience and that is the weather!

The location is stunning, so too the racing, also the paddocks (except the central one mentioned but no hardship there), where one can closely inspect the fabulous array of cars from all eras.

If you are travelling light then take a chance! you could purchase an umbrella at the show ground and probably all other clothing if it turned bad (or via amazon UK with fast delivery if you find the forecast a bit iffy on your UK arrival). It is a 50/60's dress fest but not mandatory. You could navigate the site in robust shoes unless there has been a deluge but even then the perimeter road is a made up with stone chipping so not muddy. Covered but open tractors and trailers with seating move continuously around the perimeter and do provide overhead protection if wet.

Accommodation is the difficult one you will probably find some at a fairish rate about an hours drive away and the Sussex downs are quite beautiful to drive through and providing you are prepared for early starts 6am (from an hour away) not too difficult with traffic delays. Make the most of it over two days there is so much to enjoy even the public classic car parks are worth a visit.

Would order your grandstand/entry tickets earliest possible. If you should however be lucky with the weather - 'Glorious Goodwood' earns its title. :bigrin: :bigrin:
Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

frogeater
France

#13 Re: Goodwood in Sept

Post by frogeater » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Hello Bill,
I just want to answer, at your first question:
"Does it make sense to go for just one day?"
No, definitely no! Especially for you with a very long travel. It would be just frustating....(you can't see everything in one day).
Two days is a minimum. In my case, I did it 3 days for 5 time and will be there 3 days the next time.
The public mood in this event with English people, the races, the brilliant organisation, the fantastic car park, and planes, and accessibility of people (I spoke with Grant William, and Nigel Webb about jaguar mark1) and and...
Regards
Emmanuel. PIR27059 in restored condition to COMPLETE Européen condition (except power steering)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bill B
United States of America

#14 Re: Goodwood in Sept

Post by Bill B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:30 pm

Have purchased 2 day tickets, Fri and Sat.

Looking forward to it. It's my reward for being dragged about Shakespeare country by SWMBO
S1 OTS 4.2 1966

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic