E type Register Directory of Vehicles & Owners

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
44DHR
Great Britain

#1 E type Register Directory of Vehicles & Owners

Post by 44DHR » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:54 pm

The International Jaguar E-type Register Directory of Vehicles & Owners is a handy glovebox size hardback book published by the Jaguar E type Register of the Jaguar Drivers? Club.

This has been produced every 5 years and the last one was the 8th Edition for the 50th Anniversary of the Jaguar E Type in 2011. It is a hardback book produced to a high quality like an upmarket diary with gilt edged paper and contains details of the 6,000 E types on its Register and in the various sections the cars are detailed and cross referenced showing the Chassis number, Year, Registration number, Colour and Owner, (if these details are supplied). I have the past three editions for the 40th, 45th and 50th Anniversaries and was looking forward to ordering a copy of the 55th which would have been due out in 2016.

I had been in touch with the Registrar, Petronel Payne earlier this year and she had hoped to send out details of ordering the next edition this summer. On mailing her last night to ask on progress following her intent to gather orders this year, I received the following reply :-

"You are perfectly correct, however there have really been insufficient of E-Type alterations that we have been told about that we have decided that it really wasn't worth the work and expense of producing a new directory at this stage. Things have woken up a bit lately and we will definitely be producing something for the 60th Anniversary in 2021. Many thanks for your interest."

This would be a bit of a shame to break the 5 year cycle and have to wait 6 years until 2021. Entry into the Register is free and you, like me, don't have to be a member of the Jaguar Drivers Club to register your car details. I understand in this modern age there are other web based registers and information available, but this well presented book provides a good historical reference for owners over time and in future years, details can be traced back. The book also contains several Chapters on the history of the E type and the last three Editions have included reprints of five Autocar articles on the E type.

If you were interested in registering your car and getting in the next edition, or hopefully encourage Petronel to get an edition out next year, this is this link Register and to the Vehicle Registration Form with her details. http://www.jdc-etype.org.uk/index.php/e-type-directory

I have no allegiance to this Register or the JDC, but just wanted to keep a useful reference going.

Regards,

Dave
Last edited by 44DHR on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sjmmarsh
Great Britain

Post by Sjmmarsh » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:12 pm

Dave

It sounds as if their plans have moved on since April. I sent my form in then and enquired about a copy of the register. The reply I got was:
Dear Steve,

Many thanks for the information. The data base is currently 'frozen' as we are preparing to publish a new Directory next year, but as soon as it is 'de-frosted', so to speak, the details will be entered up, so I'm afraid we won't be able to include your E-Type in next year's issue.

If you would like a copy of the 2011 version of the Directory, please let me know, but maybe you would prefer to wait for the new one?

Kind regards,

Petronel
Steve
1973 S3 v12 2+2 1S52113BW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dawnpatrol
Great Britain

Post by Dawnpatrol » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi Dave,
I agree completely, it's a very good reference and keepsake at least.
Mine are in the register and one is on the pages you illustrate. A very good continuity check for anybody in the market for a car.
Petronel is very helpful and knowledgeable in dealing with the DVLA.
Unfortunately I only have the most recent, but would love to collect earlier issues, sad I know!
I would also encourage owners not yet included to join in.

Michael
Michael
1961 OTS LWE, 1965 OTS, 1966 FHC.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mystery type
Great Britain

Post by mystery type » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Yes even though i am no longer in the jaguar drivers club they still sent me details to be included every 5 years.
I was in fact wondering when this would come as 55yrs is nearly upon us.
seems a shame they no longer seem interested, they were a lovely product, and i often used them for a reference.

maybe someone else will take it on, judging by this forum, there seems to plenty of new owners and interest.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John_Mann
Australia

#5 Re: E type Register Directory of Vehicles & Owners

Post by John_Mann » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:15 am

Hi All,

I have been directed here by others, in search of historical information on my recently acquired E-Type, registered in the UK between 1973 and 1990 and now located here in Australia.

I have a acquired a Heritage certificate and know it was originally delivered into Sth. Africa and then returned to the UK in 1973 where it resided until the mid 90’s, before being sold and finding its way here in Australia.

Now I thought tracing its history would be easy, as I fortunately know its registration when it was in the UK, as it is etched on all its glass as an anti-theft deterrent. What I have managed to determine is that it was registered in the UK in 1973 and its last Tax was due in July 1990. Armed with that information, I applied for the historical information via DVLA, but they in turn refused to provide any information because I, as the current owner, and the car were not residing in the UK.

So I am at a bit of a stand still. I was hoping that if anyone has copies of theses Register Directory books, you may be so kind as to have a look to see if my E gets a mention?

Thanks & Regards;

John
John Mann
1972 S3 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
1976 Jaguar XJ4.2C
2007 Jaguar XKR Portfolio

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#6 Re: E type Register Directory of Vehicles & Owners

Post by AussieEtype » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:12 am

I have the 1984 International E-Type Register - so if the car was part of the JDCC at the time it might be there. Listing is via Chassis Number but my car is by Body Number - the list includes model, owner and address - even phone numbers.

If you want to PM me Car and Body Numbers I can check for 1984.

Cheers

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mystery type
Great Britain

#7 Re: E type Register Directory of Vehicles & Owners

Post by mystery type » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi John,
I assume you want earlier details from 1973-90, however
I have the 2006 and 2011 copies and can check if there is a mention?
if you want me to check, then send me your details.
Have you checked... http://www.xkedata.com/
Paul 1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John_Mann
Australia

#8 Re: E type Register Directory of Vehicles & Owners

Post by John_Mann » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:16 pm

mystery type wrote:Hi John,
I assume you want earlier details from 1973-90, however
I have the 2006 and 2011 copies and can check if there is a mention?
if you want me to check, then send me your details.
Have you checked... http://www.xkedata.com/
Yes, checked the XKE data and nothing on there. I know the care left the UK and came to Australia sometime in the mid 90's so it is the 1973 - 1995 period that I'm trying to trace. The Chassis no. is 1S 51575, if you wouldn't mind checking your books to see if it gets a mention?

Cheers;
John Mann
1976 Jaguar XJ4.2C

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#9 Re: E type Register Directory of Vehicles & Owners

Post by AussieEtype » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:56 am

As an aside I also checked the Australian Register of 1991 and it is not there so must have still been in the UK.

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mystery type
Great Britain

#10 Re: E type Register Directory of Vehicles & Owners

Post by mystery type » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:31 am

The Chassis no. is 1S 51575, if you wouldn't mind checking your books to see if it gets a mention?
No luck with your chassis number John, only a 1972 model two cars before yours, and a 1973 two cars after
yours.
surprisingly, neither of these are registered on exedata.
I'm guessing yours was registered late 72, or early 73?
Paul 1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John_Mann
Australia

#11 Re: E type Register Directory of Vehicles & Owners

Post by John_Mann » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:01 am

mystery type wrote:
The Chassis no. is 1S 51575, if you wouldn't mind checking your books to see if it gets a mention?
No luck with your chassis number John, only a 1972 model two cars before yours, and a 1973 two cars after
yours.
surprisingly, neither of these are registered on exedata.
I'm guessing yours was registered late 72, or early 73?
Thanks for the follow up. As best that I can ascertain it was first registered in May of 1973 when it returned to the UK from Sth Africa.
John Mann
1976 Jaguar XJ4.2C

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#12 Re: E type Register Directory of Vehicles & Owners

Post by mgcjag » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:12 am

Hi John..have you tried just a google search on the reg number....you never know what might come up.. Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

John_Mann
Australia

#13 Re: E type Register Directory of Vehicles & Owners

Post by John_Mann » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:46 pm

Well, sadly it looks like I've come to a dead end in trying to trace the history of my E whilst in the U.K. My last attempt was to have a friend of mine in London, submit the necessary paper work to the DVLA as I was previously advised that they will only release information to someone with a UK address.
The application was rejected as not they say that they will only release information to the registered keeper of the car, which they ofcoarse do not have as the car no longer resides in the U.K.!
Ahhhhh!
So between when the car was returned to the UK from Sth. Africa in May of 1973 when it was first registered there to when it was sold and came to Australia in 1995 is a mistary and I guess will remain so for ever... :questionmarks:

Didn't think it would have been that hard.. :shrug:
John Mann
1976 Jaguar XJ4.2C

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johanliam
Great Britain

#14 Re: E type Register Directory of Vehicles & Owners

Post by johanliam » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:26 am

I had the same situation and t'was a dead end.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic