Tyres in South Africa?

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#1 Tyres in South Africa?

Post by Vonkie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:51 pm

With the Big Day drawing very close, I have run into a tyre availability problem.

It seems Pirelli Cinturatos 185/VR/15 and Vredensteins of the right profile are currently not available in South Africa, and need to be imported with a special permit at ridiculous rates.

Anybody know? Pirelli SA can't help. Gonna test with second hand Vredensteins until supplier's stock of Vredensteins come in.

But surely I should be able to get a new set of Pirelli Cinturatos somewhere for less than R50,000?
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#2 Getting Hankooks

Post by Vonkie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:59 pm

Getting Hankooks 185R8015s.

Fuggit. Cannot even spell it properly. Have now done so.

Anybody reckon this a really bad idea? Read on other forum that rated for E Type along with Cinturatos and Vredensteins (and the original discontinued Dunlop Radials).
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#3 Maybe not so hot after all

Post by Vonkie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:19 pm

Sorry, I'm sure self-replies are bad for forum etiquette. I'll try not to make it a habit.

Seems the speed rating on the Hankooks not so hot.

Dunno if I can get the Michelin XVS...
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by Gfhug » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:40 pm

Frank, the Vreds haven't been easy to source in Britain despite lots of requests to the company to get producing again. As for getting tyres into SA that's something most of us will know zero about, sorry.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#5 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by Heuer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:02 pm

Speak/email to Dougal at Longstone Tyres, he may be able to help.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#6 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by Vonkie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks David.

Are the Hankooks acceptable?
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jagwit
South Africa

#7 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by jagwit » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Also try Jeppe tyre 011 614 0462. They had some Vredesteins on a show recently.
Best Regards
Philip
Jag: 72 S3 XKE, 74 S3 XKE OTS, 80 XJS (Megasquirt + 5sp manual O/D)
Jensen: 74 Interceptor (EFI by Megasquirt + O/D 4sp auto)
Chev: 59 Apache std, 70 C10 (350V8, 700R4)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dougal
Great Britain

#8 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by dougal » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:55 am

Hi

The Hankooks and the Vredestein aren't really up to it.

here are our recommendations. http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/ja ... type-tyres

It is tricky getting tyres out to South Africa. We have dealt with these guys before:
ATS Motorsport Supplies
30 Schoongezicht Rd
Bergbron
Johannesburg
South Africa

I think we have historically talked to a chap called Richard Leek who seems to b e able to make it happen.

oo a quick google and here they are https://www.ats-motorsport.co.za/index.php

Good luck.

Let me know if we can be more help.

Dougal
Chain Gang for ever

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#9 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by christopher storey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:30 pm

It's funny that Dougal now says the Vreds are not up to it. He sold me a set some years ago !! Many people I know have them, including me on 3 cars, and are full of praise for them. The only trouble I have encountered on 1 tyre out of 12 was a wall failure with a bulge indicating a separation of plies at the point where the two halves of the carcass are joined together

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#10 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by Gfhug » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Dougal made the mistake of posting the German report into vintage tyres which put the Pirellis and Vreds ahead of the Michelin, now he's saying the Vreds aren't much cop :roll:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#11 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by mark10337 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:14 pm

German tyre reports are a bad thing?
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#12 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by Vonkie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:30 am

Quot homines tot sententiae!

Thanks Philip et al. We were dealing with Jeppe - he had 3 Vreds, but last time I looked, the car needed 4 tyres.

Interesting to read Dougal not so hot on the Vreds now. I reckon I'll ride out the Hankooks and then try to get Cinturatos in for the next set.

In Spain until the weekend. And then, if all goes well, and the trim is done, I SHALL HAVE HER. My blood, sweat and tears will then commence is earnest. Not to mention my joy.

Must say, apart from the cities, countryside around southern Spain looks an awesome prospect for touring. But I would not fancy breaking down in the middle of Andalucia at 42 degrees. Which would tend to be the cause of the breakdown in the first place!

By the way, Philip, I'm having the front number plate sticker done. You reckon Metro cops gonna give me grief?
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dougal
Great Britain

#13 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by dougal » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:25 pm

christopher storey wrote:It's funny that Dougal now says the Vreds are not up to it. He sold me a set some years ago !! Many people I know have them, including me on 3 cars, and are full of praise for them. The only trouble I have encountered on 1 tyre out of 12 was a wall failure with a bulge indicating a separation of plies at the point where the two halves of the carcass are joined together
Hi

I don't think that is fair.

i don't think i ever sold anyone, the Vredestein for an e type. They can be bought off me, but only after any one in our office would make several attempts at trying to get you to buy the Pirelli or Michelin instead. you have to be insistent to buy a Vredestein.

If you told us the tyres were for an e type, no doubt we would have tried to sell you something better. No doubt.

If someone in my office did recommend the Vredestein for an e-type, tell me who it was, and i will sack them. :waiting:

At no point will anyone in our office have encouraged anyone to buy a Vredestein for an E type. In order of preference it would be:

Pirelli / Michelin XVS depending on usage.
Dunlop (back when they were made by Dunlop) OE on series 2
Avon as the only other tyre that i think is good on an E-type

The 185HR15 Vredestein can be bought off this web page http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/18 ... assic.html but please read the text.

The Large print giveth
and the small print taketh away.

We don't sell Vredestein, but people do sometimes buy them off us. I'm sure someone out there will back me up, i'm sure there will be someone out there who has rung us up saying they want to buy a Vredestein H rated tyre for their e type and they will be met by a comment such as "don't you like your car."

:helpsos: :helpsign: If you have had 1 in 12 tyres fail, that is dreadful. I think an 8.33333% failure rate is s**t!

they are occasionally bought off us, but only under extreme duress. You have to say some thing like: "i never drive the car" or "i'm selling it to someone i don't like"

When it comes to the German tyre report. My intention is to be frank and honest then hopefully my opinion might be considered of some value instead of just a sales pitch. I was amazed to see the Vredestein reacting better than the Michelin XWX in that report, though it was only in the wet. i do wonder about the date codes and newness of the tyres in the report. It was the wet weather that the Michelin didn't do so well in. but part of the reason you buy Michelin XWX (among other Michelins) is because if you are doing extended high speed use on motorways then Michelin is tops, which is not tested in the report. also Michelin longevity is always good, and the build quality an lack of failed tyres you get with Michelin. are also not in the test buit factors that make Michelin worth the money. they do not fail. Also worth pointing out that the test is about the XWX not the XVS-P. (i do also think, if the test had been done on a heavier car Michelin would have done better)

Rant over.

Dougal
Chain Gang for ever

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#14 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by Vonkie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Well, I am at the airport in Madrid. For now, the fookers appear to have left Madrid alone in their latest wave of blood and hatred.

Back to the tyre issue. I am grateful for Dougal's clarity. It seems the Vreds now rank somewhere with Coca Cola in my Laphroaig, so I shall bear that in mind.

The dutyfree does not seem to offer Michelins or Cinturatos. Had they done so, I am inclined to think the crew would probably not have allowed me to take 5 tyres on economy as hand luggage.

Dougal, if you happen to be participating in either a very large bulk consignment of Cinturatos or a very small illegal smuggling of them to the Southern tip of the dark continent, do give me a shout.
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

richard btype
Great Britain

#15 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by richard btype » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:22 am

On reading this thread it reminded me of my experience of having the Vredensteins back in 2012/13 which I reported and can be found on a search:

"and is fitted with the Semperit radials but my goodness it was a wide eyed experience where I have to admit I drove like a fearful thing. I could not bring myself to travel faster than 70mph either on B, A or dual carriageways because I could find little feel through the steering to find a level of confidence!"

Very soon after I fitted a new set of Blockleys, the car was transformed. Next time I will unless the Dunlop RS5's make a new appearance, try the michelin XVS....
Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#16 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by PeterCrespin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:19 pm

dougal wrote: factors that make Michelin worth the money. they do not fail.
Rant over.

Dougal
Sorry, any brand can fail. In summer '81 wife and I set off for Turkey on a Yamaha 1100. Day 1: 750 miles Munich. Day 2: 750 miles Belgrade, Day 3: three about 600 into Greece. You could say we were keen to get beyond familiar Europe. XS1100 tyres lasted about 3000m so after a few more days of this (Camping and 6500 miles in 16 days) I got the levers out and fitted the new rear tyre I'd brought (no chance of obtaining that big new size in the Middle East). As it was the 3rd or 4th cover on that tube, I also fitted a new inner tube (Michelin) brought with us for that purpose, even though the original had not punctured. A day later coming back through Yugoslavia the tube burst and we got down to about 30 mph from 80 before ending up in a ditch. Better than dead, at least...

By looking at the cross section of the split, It was clear that the admirably thick Michelin tube had a thin spot due to a bubble in the material. Instead of 2 mm or whatever of tough rubber, the wall was maybe 10-15 thou thick either side of the bubble, which could not be seen from at the surface. I replaced the old tube and we completed the trip. I took the tube back to the Michelin seller who wasn't interested in my near-miss. So don't say Michelin (or any brand is fault-free). Nemesis often follows hubris.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#17 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by christopher storey » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:33 pm

PeterCrespin wrote: Nemesis often follows hubris.

Pete
But you were in Yugoslavia, not Greece, when it happened . Surely Serbo-Croat was the appropriate language?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#18 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by Herzeg » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:38 pm

Evening all

Nowt to do with South Africa but when I bought my E 18 months ago the seller offered to fit a new set of tyres or reduce the price by £100. I was too dewey eyed at the fact my wife was telling me to buy to notice too much and agreed a new set.

Following this thread I checked the car yesterday and lo and behold they are 205/70 Vreds. I have never been totally happy with cornering in it and wonder now if this is the tyres as the suspension was all rebuilt last winter?

Is there a link to the "German" report I could look at?

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jeremylyric
Great Britain

#19 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by jeremylyric » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:28 am

Vonkie wrote:With the Big Day drawing very close, I have run into a tyre availability problem.

It seems Pirelli Cinturatos 185/VR/15 and Vredensteins of the right profile are currently not available in South Africa, and need to be imported with a special permit at ridiculous rates.

Anybody know? Pirelli SA can't help. Gonna test with second hand Vredensteins until supplier's stock of Vredensteins come in.

But surely I should be able to get a new set of Pirelli Cinturatos somewhere for less than R50,000?

Try ordering from here: http://www.lucasclassictires.com/185VR1 ... 7-510p.htm

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#20 Re: Tyres in South Africa?

Post by Vonkie » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:45 am

Thanks Jeremy, and, it seems, welcome to the forum!

The problem is not so much the availability of the tyres abroad as getting them here. I was made to understand one needs an import permit. Procuring and importing 5 tyres as an individual purchaser, with duties and shipping, ends up quadrupling the cost of an already rather expensive $320 tyre. Hence my search for importers, who would bring them in as part of bulk stock shipments.
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic