Timing chain - Setting the timing

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
pjhicks2
Great Britain

#1 Timing chain - Setting the timing

Post by pjhicks2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi 2nd post,

I'm in the middle of a complete rebuild of the V12, Ive got to the stage of setting up the camshaft timing, timing chain tensioner etc. The Factory Workshop manual is quite vague, can someone point me at a good guide in setting up the timing chain and camshaft sprockets, without the use of special tools.

Much appreciated for any help

Pete

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#2 Re: Timing chain - Setting the timing

Post by MarekH » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:44 am

Firstly, I'd try to verify what 1A TDC really means and mark it appropriately.

With no special tools, you'll then have to rotate the engine clockwise only until you have the chain tensioned and then when the 1A cylinder is at the top of its stroke. You'll want both of camshaft notches to be pointing upwards exactly away from the cylinder heads.

If you make any changes to either cam, then you'll need to rotate the engine clockwise ONLY to bring the notches back up to their new "up" positions.

The camshaft timing tool somewhat helpful in judging whether the two camshafts equally timed against each other. You can always make yourself some special tools, e.g. some large protractors for the cams and for the crank.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
pjhicks2
Great Britain

#3 Re: Timing chain - Setting the timing

Post by pjhicks2 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:27 pm

hi Marek

Many thanks on the post, I understand now, The next issue is that I now trying to set the timing chain dampers, ( without the special too JD38). Am I right that I should set these dampers just shy of the chain (when the head and Cams are in place.) I read that there should be a 3 thou clearance. Is this right, or is there another much better way of setting these up..

Best regards

Pete

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#4 Re: Timing chain - Setting the timing

Post by MarekH » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:38 am

Dear Pete,

I'd make yourself a jig to replicate the Churchill tool based on how the old dampers are fitted and use that to decide the position of the new ones, assuming there wasn't a manifest problem first time around.

I'm not sure how you'd even measure a 3thou clearance between something loose and something which flexes.

You should treat internet based advice as supplementary to the manual, not a replacement for it.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

42south
New Zealand

#5 Re: Timing chain - Setting the timing

Post by 42south » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:09 am

Hi Pete
I know you don't want any special tools, but, the cam setting tool is as cheap as chips, and can be hired from the UK jag club, along with the timing chain setting plate.
This protractor is useful for getting TDC exact.

cheers
Mark
Mark Brown
1971 S3 Etype, now sold, sadly.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic