Filter King

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
stephen.

#1 Filter King

Post by stephen. » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:22 am

Hi , I have heard that a 'lumpy' tickover can be vastly improved by using a filter king regulator. Do any of you have experience of one , if so which one? My engine is in good condition and the carbs have been to Burlen for the full treatment but I still have a lumpy tickover.
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:25 am

Steve

Have a look here: http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164

David
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andyp

Post by andyp » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:27 pm

Steve

I've got one on mine too, set at 2.5psi on my pressure gauge (2psi should been enough). If you don't have an inline pressure gauge just take a 7/16" spanner and flat bladed screwdriver with you and go for a blast. Reduce the pressure by half a turn at a time until you get starvation problems when you floor it, then back off.

I didn't have noticable tick over problems but it looked like a good move anyway.

I sold the old filter that I took off on eBay for more than the filter king cost me which made it a bit of a no brainer.

Andy
1966 2+2 MOD Conversion

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
stephen.

Post by stephen. » Thu May 15, 2008 11:13 am

Hi, fitted the filter king yesterday. Set the pressure to 2psi. What a diference ! It instantly ran smoother. I reset the carbs as per the manual and had a decent tickover on the book settings without having to adjust anything. A most worthwhile upgrade.
'66 2+2.
:)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

S12+2

Post by S12+2 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:58 pm

I recently suffered SU pump failure and decided to replace it with a modern Facet pump and a fuel regulator.

Rather than use a Filter King, I used an inline regulator which just fits in the fuel line and has an adjustment on the top which shows psi.

The pump was an easy if fiddly fit needing a couple of new holes in the pump platform but once done it works fine and should be much more reliable than the SU unit.

One mistake I did make was to initially site the pressure regulator between the filter and the carbs. This caused the filter bowl to weep as it was getting the full pump pressure. I relocated it between the pump and the rear fuel line and have had no more problems with it set at 2psi.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic