S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#1 S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi All,
My rather sorry S2 FHC is in the paintshop. A sad journey that has taken two long years of set backs. But hey, suddenly it is spring time in autum, The paintshop just posted through some progress photos. I am so chuffed I had to share some of them with people that would understand my joy (my friends and family certainly don't)! It is currently in high build filler primer. If you had seen the before pictures you would understand my happiness...... :bigrin:

Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

#2 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by 265bhp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi
What's your name...?....sorry to hear about what sounds like a bad history...what's the story...?
Looking forward to hearing and seeing more
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by mgcjag » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi your Kris arnt you?......where have you been.....you started posting a while ago then stoped......great to see your progressing...exiting times... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#4 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:16 pm

It is a long story which included a dodgy first paintshop that took 7 months to do nothing more than take a lot of cash and attack the rear of the car with an angle grinder. I then spent a year working on the car in a tiny garage repairing damage to the bodywork before finally taking it to the current paintshop (MechSpray) in May 2017. MechSpray are doing a great job. They are based in Rochester, Kent and have a very good Facebook page with photos of their work. It can be acessed through their web site http://www.mechspray.com.

Some details about the car, it is an early ex US S2 FHC 1R25275. Factory colour according to the heritage certificate is Damiler Silver Grey with Red interior. I will stick with factory colour exterior but am thinking to go with black interior. Red looks great but maybe too 'loud' to live with. Regards to all, Kris
Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#5 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:16 am

Here is a photo of the car in my garage around April 2017. I replaced the LH rear wing and toneau panel using Martin Robey supplied panels. Joints were lead loaded. You can see how cramped things were. Acess to the sides of the car was really tight. If I had more space to work in I might have tried to do some paint prep work before taking to MechSpray.

Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#6 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:25 am

Because of space limitations I had no chance to work on the bonnet in my garage. So it went off to IDL in Hastings for complete rebuild. Here are some pics.

Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#7 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 am

I found out the expensive way that new panels for the S2 bonnet are currently not available. IDL have done a great job working with the old panels. The centre panel and nose under panel were full of dents which all had to be removed. The RH wing was also beyond help. IDL managed to find a good used panel.
Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#8 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:35 am

Next step is for MechSpray to fit the bonnet to the body tub. Trial fits look pretty good but the bonnet still needs light filling in some areas to get it right. Apparently this is pretty usual.

Will post more pics as I get them....
Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#9 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by mgcjag » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:49 am

Hi Kris..looking good...please try to put your name and car model/year in as signature...makes it easier and more friendly for members to reply to you....Thanks Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#10 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:06 am

Hi Steve, many thanks. Just found the edit profile tab and have put something meaningful in there. Kris
Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#11 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:33 am

I just spoke with the paintshop. I need to make a decision soon about wing mirrors. There is a hole in the drivers side door where a US aftermarket mirror was fitted at one time. I think this will need to be filled as I don't have the matching LH side mirror.

So I need to decide whether or not to put a pair of wing mirrors on or can I get away with no mirrors at all. I drove an MGC for years with no wing mirrors without any problems. Also I hear that the correct wing mirrors for the car are not much good anyway.

If I can get away without mirrors I would rather do so. Does anyone know what the DVLA view on wing mirrors would be. Will it pass an MOT without any fitted? If not, which are the correct mirrors and where best to source a pair.
Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#12 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by Simon P » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am

As wing mirrors were neither standard fitment nor a legal requirement at the time, your E-type will happily pass MOT without them.

For obvious reasons, many prefer these days to fit them. Personally my own car doesn't have them and so far I haven't found it a problem - riding a bike in traffic is excellent training, although I note you've driven a 'mirrorless' car before so will know what to expect!
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

#13 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by 265bhp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 am

Hi Kris

At least you now look to be in safer hands and positive progress is happening... :bouncyyellow:
Looking forward to seeing more..!

Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#14 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by Gfhug » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 am

Kris, as Simon says you won't need wing mirrors for the MOT, however these have recently been commented about and seem a good idea that will give you the benefit of seeing the boy racer but won't leave holes in the wings:
http://www.fossewayperformance.co.uk/e- ... or-mirror/

I certainly like having wing mirrors, but would fit the above if I hadn't already drilled the holes. Yes the wing mirrors are awkward to align to be of use!

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#15 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:03 pm

Geoff, the mirrors from Fosseway look perfect and may well be worth a try. It is not clear whether they clip on to the door frame or it necessary to drill holes in the frames. This is still way better (in my opionion) than making holes in the wings. Since there is really no way back from that later if the mirrors don't perform well (not without a lot of expense).
Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#16 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by mgcjag » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:44 pm

No drilling required.....they clamp on....i have very similar from SNG..Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#17 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by Polse7317 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:41 pm

fosseway mirors on my car:
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#18 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Thanks Yves, they look perfect. In fact I have just ordered a pair! Regards, Kris
Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#19 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:39 pm

Disaster with the bonnet!

Following the return of the bonnet from IDL in Hastings where it had been in for a complete rebuild, MechSpray have been working hard putting in more than 40 hrs on fitting/ filling and shaping it.

A short while after application of the filler primer it all started to lift......

A rep from IDL's paint supplier inspected the bonnet and the general thinking is that the base protection covering applied by IDL is defective. Investigations are still on-going but in the meantime IDL have stepped up to the plate and accepted the return of the bonnet so that they can carry out remedial work. Which at the moment looks like a complete strip of the bonnet back down to its components parts, re assembly, and then more shaping and filling to get it back to where it had been with MechSpray.

It means a good few weeks delay to the project but everyone is being very level headed and pramatic about it. These things happen and it is just as well for me that I am dealing with two longstanding and reputablle companies.

Will post further photos of the bonnet when it comes back from IDL.
Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#20 Re: S2 FHC in the Paintshop

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:04 pm

Should point out that the white covering that lifted is a polyester filler and not a primer.
Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic