early series 1 chassis numbers

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
ollieoscarsid
Great Britain

#1 early series 1 chassis numbers

Post by ollieoscarsid » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:50 am

Morning all, new to the site. I'm looking at buying my second E type as I've been offered an American 3.8 fixed head, the Chassis number is 886084 and engine R5582-9 which I think makes it early 1962.
It's rusty, and I mean Rusty! there are no floors, and If it were drivable and you wend over a bump it would probably collapse! however, it is complete and the restoration does not phase me at all. But my question is- How can I determine if this is a Flat Floor car as it has no floors. It makes no odds to me other than it does have an impact of the value. Many thanks, Chris
1963 S1 opalescent silver blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: early series 1 chassis numbers

Post by cactusman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:48 am

Clausagers book says the dish floor was fitted from the following chassis numbers. Right hand drive OTS 850358 RHD FHC 860139. Left hand drive OTS 876582 LHD FHC 885504. Change was in Jan 1962.

He mentions 886093 as being the first LHD to have recesses behind the seats so as I read it yours will have a dished floor but is just before incorporation of the recesses behind the seats to allow extra seat movement. Yours will have been made in May 1962 but the heritage certificate will confirm this.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ollieoscarsid
Great Britain

#3 Re: early series 1 chassis numbers

Post by ollieoscarsid » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Thanks Julian, much appreciated. Shame in some ways it's not a little earlier, but then I have big feet so need the space.. Ta, Chris

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: early series 1 chassis numbers

Post by cactusman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:08 pm

No problem....if you really want a flat for they are really not that rare. It is the very few with outside bonnet locks that are rare...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ollieoscarsid
Great Britain

#5 Re: early series 1 chassis numbers

Post by ollieoscarsid » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:02 pm

I think they are rarer now than the original statistics suggest. Many more later cars have survived than the early ones. No doubt someone somewhere has the figures. If you know of a project anywhere in any condition you could pm me. Off to the states next week to look at this one and an early 140. Ta.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andrewh
Great Britain

#6 Re: early series 1 chassis numbers

Post by andrewh » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:26 pm

I am as guilty as the next man, but it does interest me the psychology of collectors. We all want something a little rarer ( more hard to get ) than the next man , even thought its probably not more desirable. I would love an outside bonnet lock car, although when I had a flat floor I disliked it as I could not drive it with any comfort.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SEJohnson95
Great Britain

#7 Re: early series 1 chassis numbers

Post by SEJohnson95 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:17 pm

Do you often find that your opinions on what is more valuable are often influenced by whatever anyone else thinks? OK, it’s also influenced by rarity, all the different specs and what have you (which is why flat floors are so valuable) but it could also be broken down into something simpler.

Take for example identical E-types differing only by colour, and someone may consciously order them in value by colour and what they perceive as valuable. Not everyone would choose opalescent bronze with suede green leather, but I for one happen to love that combination now!
Simon Johnson
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Nottingham
E-type Club magazine contributor
Chasing the dream of a S1 4.2 OTS, but plan on getting an E ASAP!
Lucky passenger in a 1962 FHC - See restoration thread

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#8 Re: early series 1 chassis numbers

Post by Series1 Stu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:01 am

There was a time when people only wanted Series 3 roadsters and you struggled to sell a Series 1 coupe. How times change....
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#9 Re: early series 1 chassis numbers

Post by cactusman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:06 am

Indeed Stuart....how times change. My guess is that the survival rate of flat floor cars is probably not that dissimilar to the non flat floor 3.8's. Rust is not selective and they have all had 50 years to rust away...rarity is indeed a very funny thing...

If you look at "how many left" https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk

They say there are 3758 e types licensed and presumably on the road and another 1385 on SORN and presumably "under restoration". Overall E types cannot be said to be rare...although they are certainly less common that MGB's for example. They don't break down models as we do but with only 83 2+2 autos on the road they are pretty rare.

If you want a really rare car for that show this summer then go for a Morris Marina 1.3 Delux auto....they list one on the road but there are two more on SORN and awaiting resurrection :bigrin:

I'd suggest that Morris Marinas are much rarer that flat floor e types....but there is probably a reason.....and top gear and pianos did not aid their clause...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#10 Re: early series 1 chassis numbers

Post by Series1 Stu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Yes, Julian and let us not forget that the dished floorpans were introduced as an improvement due to complaints from early customers. I don't suppose we will ever know how many flat floor cars were converted in period but I would venture to say that there will have been a fair few.

Here's the dilemma. If you were to embark upon the restoration of an early E Type whose chassis number suggests that it should be flat floor but it has the dished floor pans what would you do? Should you re-instate the flat floor or maintain the dished floors on the basis that it was modified very early in its life and therefore you would be removing part of the car's history? Especially so if it was modified in 'celebrity' ownership.

Fortunately, its not likely to be a problem I will encounter.

I think I'll pass on the Marina, thank you. I have many fond memories of cars from the 1970's but only one that involved a Morris Marina. That was when I got rebuked by a stuck up Aunt for calling her brand new car a Marina. "Its an Ital". She snapped. P***ed myself laughing.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic