Water pump leak?

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
PhilBell
Great Britain

#1 Water pump leak?

Post by PhilBell » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 pm

Just noticed a significant coolant leak (large stain on the garage floor) and I can't be sure where it's coming from. The only clue I have is a collection of coolant drips clinging to the bottom of the crankshaft pulley. None of my new silicone/cloth hoses are leaking and none are in a position to leak onto the crank pulley anyway. So my instincts point to the water pump, but I can't find traces of leaks on it. That said, it's not easy to inspect it comprehensively.

Any advice on likely sources of leaks, where to look and successful methods of fix would be welcome. Hopefully it won't require a complete new pump – they're on back order.
Phil
1962 FHC 885626

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

E600
Great Britain

#2 Re: Water pump leak?

Post by E600 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Phil
if my memory serves me well there is a tell tale hole on the bottom of the pump snout. Clean this area and if access to a pressure tester pump up the coolant system, ensuring its full. Failing the pump another area can be the timing cover itself, again the tester should highlight the leak.

I have a tester if you are close to Camberley.

Regards
Pat

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
PhilBell
Great Britain

#3 Re: Water pump leak?

Post by PhilBell » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks for the offer Pat but I'm unlikely to be down your way any time soon.

Hopefully I will get to the bottom of this at the weekend.
Phil
1962 FHC 885626

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy66
Great Britain

#4 Re: Water pump leak?

Post by Jeremy66 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:58 pm

I’ve just rebuilt mine with a kit from David Manners (sng are out of stock) not a bad job if you have a press and some pullers.

Ignore the Haynes manual, you don’t need to take the header tank off to get it out, it will wiggle past the distributor with the cap off.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic