URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#1 URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by mgcjag » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Hi all....this needs the urgent attention of anyone thats building a replica and intends to put it through IVA....
The goverment has just released a consultation document, only open till 2nd March if implemented then come July all vehicles going through IVA will have to meet current emission standards and not as current only related to the year of the doner engine..... if affected please reply to the consultation https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... safety.pdf
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by Gfhug » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:24 pm

Steve, that's ridiculous, but it's a government paper produced by bureaucrats who have no idea of the real world. How could they expect a replica of a 1920's car with a period engine to pass modern emmision standards?

Para 4.11 for anyone wishing to find the relevant proposal.

I'm not building a replica, and trust that the classification of restoring a "classic" car (anyone rebuilding an E Type or other old car) does not eventually get lumped in with these silly rules.

One note is that the engine must be of the same capacity originally supplied with the car. How will Eagle get on with boring out engines to 4.7 litres?

Edited to ask a question: if you rebuild an imported ex-USA car do you need IVA?

I'm happy to send a comment, but might get into trouble for telling bureaucrats just how *%#*^#% stupid they are :roll:

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by mgcjag » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Hi Geoff here is a link to the Gov vehicle registration requirements.....it very much depends on what you are doing...look at the options....Steve...
..please feel free to send in you comments on the consultation....this could be the slippery slope to get classics off the road
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... t-vehicles
Look at section 10 ...Reconstructed classic vehicles (is comprised of genuine period components all over 25 years old)..... or it gets a Q plate
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#4 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by Series1 Stu » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:46 pm

Oh crap!

My Speedster is heading for IVA later this year. Can anybody offer any advice on how to make a 1972 Beetle engine meet current emission regs?

Didn't think so....
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#5 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by Gfhug » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:55 pm

Stuart, that's the big point that we all understand that no one can make an old engine meet current regs. It makes you wonder if the bureaucrats even considered it, or if their idea is to make us all fit electric engines instead. #%^*+*^^# idiots
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by mgcjag » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:28 pm

Hi Stuart......make sure you send in you comments to the consultation....theres a standard letter going around that i can send you if you dont want to wright yourself....momentum is building with more people becoming aware of the proposals.....please spread the word as much as you can..... Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#7 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:11 am

Yes. Please send it.

Regards
Stuart

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by mgcjag » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:31 am

Hi Stuart....PM sent......we should meet up sometime im only in Ludlow...pm me if you fancy comming over for a cuppa.... Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#9 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by Gfhug » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:28 am

Steve, I'd like a copy of that standard letter, too

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#10 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by mgcjag » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:39 am

Here you go.....if every one that reads this post could send this it all helps. Plese send to
ivs.enquiries@dft.gsi.gov.uk

FAO Consultation Co-ordinator
I would like to voice my annoyance as to the inconsiderate rushed proposed changes whilst I agree with the sentiment, the speed and the actual changes I believe will have a drastic effect to the classic kit car market, this industry try to recreate as close as possible to original car as possible. Inorder to meet current MOT requirements ie fuel injection, and more important Catalytic convertor would be extremely difficult on these older designs. Projects like these are undertaken by smaller numbers compared to the general kit car market, but these builders who undertake these projects invest large sums of money into these projects and the kit car market, I would like you to consider the following:-

1 - At best a change like this should have a reasonable lead time - say 24 months - because many people build kit cars over a reasonably long period of time - and many will have begun such projects expecting to use an engine which, under the new rules will not be allowable.
2- The actual impact from an environmental point of view of implementing this change will be minimal. Of the relatively small number of kit cars which are being built and used on the road, many already have engine which can meet modern emissions standards.
3 - Once registered many kit cars are used for a relatively small amount of miles each year (evidenced by the fact that many kit cars are insured on limited mileage policies), and therefore even those with engines tested to older standards will make little environmental impact in real terms.
4- If it is deemed necessary to implement this change, a reasonably long lead time to implementation should be considered acceptable because of 2) and 3) above
5-On these style of cars I feel a more considerate stage of emissions based on teh above would be more considerate that is to legislate with fuel injection but avoid the requirement for a Catalytic convertor as this visually would have drastic effect both visually and heat dissipation on what were generally enclosed exhaust systems

6- this change in legislation would have a serious impact on the classic kit car market who are trying to reproduce a replica as close to the original as possible, the impact of these proposals could destroy business and many jobs.

I trust you will consider the true impact these changes will make on the kit car economy rather than just the limited emissions which you seem to be following as a blanket strategy I look forward to your response to my e mail

Best regards
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#11 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:25 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:31 am
Hi Stuart....PM sent......we should meet up sometime im only in Ludlow...pm me if you fancy comming over for a cuppa.... Steve
Steve
That would be great. Ludlow is one of our favourite places. We used to do the Marches Transport Festival every year but haven't been for a long time.

Regards
Stuart

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#12 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by Gfhug » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:30 am

Jaguar are now planning to produce 25 'D Types', will they have to comply with modern emmision standards? I trust JLR will add their voice to the comments about this new regulation. After all aren't this kit cars or replicas?

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#13 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by mgcjag » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:54 am

There new cars will not be allowed on the road in the UK....just the same as the lightweights they recently produced..... Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkRado
Austria

#14 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by MarkRado » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:08 am

The same story in Austria :cussing:
all cars to be registered for the first time have to comply with current standards - dont even think of trying to meet them all.
Unfortunately this is also the case with imported real classic cars- unless they are considered worth preserving, being on a list issued by the authorities. And even then you are allowed to drive it no more than 120 days a year. Lucky me: I had my 3.8 registered long before that, thats why I have to drive it all year round :wink:
Thats the reason why these reg. documents (taken from writeoffs) are traded (legally? as long as nobody asks). No solution for one-offs or rare cars as Dtypes though.
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#15 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by Gfhug » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:57 pm

Email sent, let's hope they can see the difference between a C or D Type relica using a correct XK 6 cylinder engine and a Caterham that could (?) be built with a modern engine.
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#16 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by mark10337 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:38 am

It's an interesting juxtoposition that the London Low Emissions Zone, exempts vehicles pre (1973 I think) because they cannot be made to meet emissions targets or measured easily. So one body does recognise this.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#17 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by mgcjag » Tue May 01, 2018 3:18 pm

Great News today.....Just announced on the Kit car facebook page the Dept of Transport have just announced that they are dropping the proposed plan to make Replica/kit cars useing older engins meet currect mot emission standards.....they had well over 2000 replies and did not want to disrupt a thriveing special vehical industry that exports all over the world and provides enjoyment for a large section of the comunity......Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#18 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by politeperson » Tue May 01, 2018 4:26 pm

Good.

Now where did I put those Merlin engines?
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#19 Re: URGENT.....Building a Replica and IVA

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu May 03, 2018 8:25 pm

That's brilliant news. I was sure that common sense would prevail but, where public servants are concerned, you can never be sure.

I was looking for a Scooby engine for my speedster.

:bouncyyellow:
Stuart

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic