Brake pipe routing

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Hugo
Great Britain

#1 Brake pipe routing

Post by Hugo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:36 am

What is the correct routing for the brake pipe from the m/cyl to the servo on a Series II OTS? I have some drawings showing it going round the front; I have pics of it across the top and others across the bottom at the front; and I have other drawings showing going across the back.
Hugo Miller - rebuilding an imported Series II OTS & converting to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#2 Re: Brake pipe routing

Post by Jeremy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 am

Hugo,
refer to Chris Vine's restoration blog. His is a S2 OTS. Top notch restoration and his blog is a superb resource that I continually refer to. Very good photos of his brake pipe routing and a wealth of other solid info. I am consulting it right now as my late S1 has S2 brakes, and his photos exactly mimic my original pipework, with a few subtle alterations in the "contour following" that he explains clearly.
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Hugo
Great Britain

#3 Re: Brake pipe routing

Post by Hugo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:30 am

I already have - as you say it is an excellent site. But I have other info which contradicts it. It seems a long way round to get from A to B. I don't have any original pipework to copy as mine was LHD.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#4 Re: Brake pipe routing

Post by Jeremy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:08 pm

As I said Hugo, his photos mimic mine which is a correct original RHD late S1 (April 67) by which time, as I understand it, production had switched over to S2 brakes. From a discussion I had with Automec this week it seems like some cars around the S1 1/2 period had the front centre in line connector in a different place, but the routing was the same, down to the bottom of the picture frame and back up the other side. Long way round? Not really. Presumably they thought the bulkhead route was getting too congested and they couldn't exactly run it over or underneath the engine...
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Hugo
Great Britain

#5 Re: Brake pipe routing

Post by Hugo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:35 pm

What else goes along the bulkhead behind the engine on a Series II RHD? I'm sure I took a lot of stuff off (when it was LHD), but I can't find anything else that lives there? I'm just about to drop the engine in, and I want to deal with everything back there before I do so.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#6 Re: Brake pipe routing

Post by 288gto » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:17 pm

A useful reference is the Jaguar parts book for the Series 2 Hugo.

The parts diagrams for Rhd cars is quite helpful in determining the routing of pipework.

The only thing I found tight for access was underneath the manifold once the carbs are on and round where the column exits the bulkhead.
The clutch master cylinder pipe to the flexi union needs doing if you've not already done it. This runs up over the column outlet. Make sure your starter cable is all strapped and the bypass pipe that runs under the inlet is on.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Hugo
Great Britain

#7 Re: Brake pipe routing

Post by Hugo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:14 pm

That is the problem - I have parts diagrams showing both layouts. I seem to detect a consensus building that the pipe should go across the bottom of the picture frame at the front? Any dissenters?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic