Does This Only Happen To Me?

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Simon P
Great Britain

#1 Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by Simon P » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:10 pm

Last year, on a beautiful summer's day, I picked up my daughter from Uni in the E-type, and enjoyed an otherwise unremarkable drive back down the M1. Approaching Luton she announces that she's not going to make it as far as London without 'an accident', so can we stop? No really there will be an accident soon - CAN WE STOP?!

Naturally reluctant to park the gleaming spotless beastie any place where the public might hang out, I nevertheless pulled into Toddington Services and, after having carefully driven round the car park twice, located a spot - well away from all the kiddie-laden 4WDs - where I could pull up in safety and also keep an eye on the car from indoors (mention of toilet breaks had naturally had something of a knock-on effect).

All went well and we returned to the car still sitting in its isolated spot.... only to find that in the 3-4 minutes we'd been parked up a seagull had overflown the length of the car and managed the most spectacular (and accurate) bit of carpet bombing ever seen. A line of huge great splatters of white straight up the middle of the car, starting at the nose and finishing at the tail. Never seen anything quite like it!

Fast forward to this weekend and on Saturday morning, on a glorious crisp clear day, me and the E-type headed up to North Weald for her first proper outing of the year. Once more, spotless paintwork gleaming in the sunshine I revelled in the enjoyment that driving an E-type can only bring. Turning on to the M11 I accelerated smoothly, when THWUMP! - what I thought was a splatter of mud hit the screen in front of me. I then realised that far from being just in front of me there were actually splatters all over the screen.

Realising that wipers would in all likelihood only make it worse, I pulled off the road at the next available opportunity so that I could get out and do something about it. And that's when I saw it - some sort of bird (and I can safely say from the colour not a gull, and from the volume in all probability a Great Bustard, an Ostrich, or a Dodo) had deposited 'a load' which had landed a direct hit on the nose just in front of the front number plate, and then exploded back over the bonnet covering the nose, the number plate, the power bulge, the wipers, the screen, and the leading edge of the roof :banghead: In fact so perfect was the hit on a moving car, that I'd venture to suggest that two birds were involved: one to 'paint' the target with a laser designator, and one to fly the actual mission :shock:

Have I just been unlucky twice, or is this a common E-type problem?

:mrgreen:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by Gfhug » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It could only happen to you :shrug:

Thank you, Simon, that put a smile on my face
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by cactusman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

nope. I get mine out of the garage. Within 5 mins a pidgeon that has had a serious Vindaloo settles in the tree and bombs the car :banghead: ....and it sticks like no glue I know....you are bnot alone
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by christopher storey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:23 pm

I'm told it is a sign of good luck ! Just count your lucky stars it's not an OTS :bigrin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#5 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by Polse7317 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Well Simon, .... it's the same here but may be with other birds ...... anyway a good story which makes appear a big smile ... :lol:
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#6 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by ralphr1780 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:49 pm

It may have something to with the body colour :shrug:
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#7 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by Series1 Stu » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Isn't it funny though. If you've got a white car, bird crap is black. If you've got a black car, it's white! I reckon they can change the colour of their discharge to suit the target.

Apparently, birds fly upside down over Morris Marinas.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#8 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by chrisfell » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:43 am

I did hear someone suggest that birds crap on highly polished cars because they think they might be ponds. But the speaker didn’t explain why birds would want to crap on/in a pond. I think that it is just because birds are fickle, and have no taste. They prefer other cars than our well kept Es.

And you know what they say, if a bird craps on your car, don’t go out with her again.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BRM
Great Britain

#9 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by BRM » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:50 pm

Sounds like they're really out to get you, Simon !

We took the E type for a couple of days in the Oxford area to take in the Bicester meeting. The following day we stopped in Goring on Thames for a pub lunch, leaving the car in the remotest corner of the town car park. On returning I found a huge dollop of avian excrement from the roof right down the driver's window and door. I hate it when it gets in the crevice at the bottom of the window.

To be fair I had, without thinking, parked under a tree so I suppose I was asking for it !
Brian

1969 S2 FHC 1R20267
1960 Austin Healey 3000

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#10 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:49 pm

Simon

I have a blue Honda which appears to have a large invisible bullseye painted on it. I've been told that birds are programmed to drop their load over water. A blue car fools them into thinking they are and bingo.
It's got so bad that I'm thinking of building a carport to cover the Honda. One of the downsides of living by the sea I suppose.
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#11 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by ralphr1780 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:55 pm

ALAN COCHRANE wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:49 pm
...that birds are programmed to drop their load over water...
I guess most of us around too :mrgreen:
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

V12 Epyte
Great Britain

#12 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by V12 Epyte » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:17 am

1971 Series 3 FHC 2+2 RHD Manual
1971 Series 3 Roadster 2+2 RHD Manual
1986 Rover SD1 Vitesse Twin Plenum

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

#13 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by Tony » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:51 am

This happened to me when a bird pooped all over the car. I asked my wife for a tissue to which she replied. It will be miles away by now :bigrin:
Tony (E typed)

1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JimmyS
Great Britain

#14 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by JimmyS » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:02 pm

I reckon it's happened to Gary Larson too!
Last edited by JimmyS on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964 FHC Project
1E20078

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alfred
Canada

#15 Re: Does This Only Happen To Me?

Post by alfred » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:22 pm

S%*t happens! I was heading down the highway three years ago in my XK8 and noticed a brown liquid coming from the bonnet seam, and flipping onto the windscreen. I thought it was an oil leak or worse, so I pulled over. When I came to the front of the car there was a massive bird deposit up front that had worked its way up - with the help of the air flow- into the bonnet seam. Must have been the elusive crimson breasted crapper.
1968 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic