Glue for vinyl sills

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
jamesmatheson
Great Britain

#1 Glue for vinyl sills

Post by jamesmatheson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:05 am

Hi there, any recommendations for which glue to fix the sill vinyl with foam behind please. The old ones in my car were not fixed and horrible so re-newing and want a nice finish but been told don't use normal contact adhesive.
Would appreciate people's advice from past fittings
Thanks, james :wavegreatbritain:
S1.5 2+2 RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Glue for vinyl sills

Post by mgcjag » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:38 am

Hi James....i done mine not to long ago....and trimmed the whole car...took some time to chat with various trimmers and decided the best adhesive to use was the same that they use.....high temp auto adhesive.....for the sills look at the high density thin foam looks like neoprean...spray adhesive to glue it to the sill but at the sides cut it abou 1/4 in short and also cut it back so it dosent go under the chrome sill strip....dont glue the vinyl to the foam only glue to the front edge under the chrome and the 1/4 sides then streach slightly over the curved sill and glue in place down where sill meets floor direct to metal not foam.......if you do glue vinyl to foam then when you press into it dosent rebound and leaves a permenant depression.......if u go to stonleigh next Sunday BAS will be there..they sell there brush on and spray contact adhesive....for an even neater job on the sills you can turn under the sides 1/4 in so you dont see cut edges.... in the photo on the left side you can see the goam in place..the vinyl is glued on the front and sides and just left a while to go off befor folding over and fixing at lower edge.....hope this helps... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
jamesmatheson
Great Britain

#3 Re: Glue for vinyl sills

Post by jamesmatheson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks for the reply very helpful, so spray adhesive the foams and the other glue on 1/4 edge of vinyl outside. Pulled tight. I like the challenge, will purchase the parts and let you know how I get on with it
S1.5 2+2 RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Glue for vinyl sills

Post by mgcjag » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:39 am

Hi James...what i did find usefull for small areas like the edges..was spray some adhesive onto something like tin foil just 1/2 a teaspoon full then u can use a small brush to brush it on.....becaus of all the propelant its a bit thinner and easyer to use than opening the large tin.....dont be tempted to streach the vinyl too much... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic