Service time.

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
TheDampMan
Great Britain

#1 Service time.

Post by TheDampMan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:46 am

Hi all again, Sorry for another dumb question sure the answer will be on here somewhere but blown if I can find it!
I plan to give my E a basic service (engine/gearbox diff) change oils replace spark plugs etc, and a check over before the summer fun starts.

I want to know which oils/plugs are recommended.

Thanks.
Steve.
73 Uk spec V12 manual box.
Steve
1969 Series 2 Roadster
BMW Isetta

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#2 Re: Service time.

Post by malcolm » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:00 am

For oil, you need a "classic" oil; I use good old Halfords "classic 20/50" which is fine, sold in metal gallon cans. I've also used Castrol classic; hare's a link to the castrol site which explains why classic oils are needed.
https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-ki ... -oils.html
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#3 Re: Service time.

Post by lowact » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:39 am

The Terry's Jag website has all the Jaguar technical bulletims, one of these says to use Champion N10Y plugs in S3's instead of N9Y, I guess to keep the plugs cleaner? Plus in a different post JJC is suggestig that 30W oil won't disappear out the rear seal as quickly (as 20W)? So i'll be trying that ...
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#4 Re: Service time.

Post by JJC » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:51 am

I find the Champ N9Y work just fine....never a fouling issue. That being said, I am sure there are a whole bunch of plugs that work. But the N9Y works great, and they are easily available and cheap. Hope you have the same success with the 30 wt that I have enjoyed. Again, cheapest 30wt available will work. I will add that I change my oil and filter (spin on) often. Send out a sample to be tested from time to time also. Look forward to hearing your results.

John

1973 OTS V-12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#5 Re: Service time.

Post by chrisfell » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:57 pm

Usual advice on this and other forums is to stick to what was originally available. Mineral 20W50, Champion plugs.

Hogwash.

I use semi-synthetic oil formulated for older engines, Iridium spark plugs and have done for most of the 55,000 miles I’ve driven my car. Sure the oil is more expensive than the stuff that only lasts 3,000 miles in a Jaguar XK engine, and sure the plugs are also a multiple of the N9Ys recommended. But the oil isn’t shagged and running out of the sump like water by oil change time, and I can leave the plugs in place for 10s of thousands of miles and know they are not fouled and still properly gapped.

Modern fuels are much cleaner than 1960s fuels, we can use modern plugs and leave them for much longer without fear that they will become fouled. Modern oils are manufactured to last 20,000 miles or more in modern engines, so why not take advantage, knowing that to do so will prevent wear which occurs when the older technology oil has lost its lubricating properties.

Of course YMMV.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#6 Re: Service time.

Post by JJC » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Excellent points ! In my case, however, I change the filter every 1000 miles, and the oil every 3000 miles. I dont want any crap floating around for longer then that. My choice. Iridium plugs are great, but , and its an old habit, I like pulling my plugs every 3000 miles or so, just to read them, and pop in some new ones. Only a buck a piece for the Champions, so not much of an expense. More of an exercise in maintenance and observation. Works for me, not suggesting to others.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic