Refurbishing door handles/locks

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Robbiee

#21 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by Robbiee » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:48 am

Thanks Tony
I’ll prob have the springs done in a couple of weeks so I’ll let you know
Are you saying it’s possible to swap the barrel LTA Bemba and springs to fit different keys??
If so how do you get the tabs free? Is there some special method/tool?
I have visions of searching my garage floor for springs that have pinged off!!
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tonyabacus
Great Britain

#22 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by tonyabacus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:01 pm

Robbie

Inside the lock are the tumblers that are set to give you the code for your key, it is possible to change the tumblers to another sequence, but then you have to find the key that fits that code.

To do this you need to put the key into the barrel first which will stop the tumblers from falling or springing out. once the barrel is out if you very gently start to withdraw the key the tumblers will be forced up or down(they come out from alternate sides)by the tiny springs underneath each tumbler. As you draw the key out therefore, hold your fingers over the tumbler which will enable you to control how quickly the tumbler is exposed and therefore stop the springs from shooting everywhere. Lay each tumbler down in sequence so they don't get mixed up. You will then be able to clean each component and examine for wear.

You can then reassemble and use the key to prevent those in place from springing out, finally lightly oil the assembly. I cannot remember now as it was a long time ago, but I seem to remember the tumblers were marked in some way. These tumblers are no longer available as far as I know, so the only way over overcoming wear is to buy a NOS lock that uses the same key code, i.e FS/FR/MRN etc and replacing your worn tumblers, however that will mean you need to then find an appropriate key. But as each series of keys was not particularly large, it is possible. You may have seen such boards of the old keys at autojumbles and that is the best way of trying keys till you find the correct one for your newly rebuilt lock.

So the short answer is that it is possible to strip and rebuild the lock without any difficulty if you need to.
Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#23 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by Gfhug » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:53 am

As for keying alike, the barrels can be removed from door locks and with a bit of swapping around of leaves with spares from other locks of the same type you can make up new barrels with the same key. Not difficult, but an easier solution could be to drop by an old locksmith and let him do the work for a few pounds/dollars.
There are several posts on here of people doing this work.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15008#p122484

I made the above comment to the post in that thread. You can refurbish old locks using leaves from other locks. It isn't difficult and doesn't need you to find NOS locks of the same key number.
And before anyone contradicts me :banghead: I know it can be done this way as I’ve done it to my car and a good friend on the forum had a locksmith do it for him.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Robbiee

#24 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by Robbiee » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:56 am

Thank you
That’s v helpful
I have some differing old locks barrels and 3 original keys for the ignition lock which are correct for the car
I should hopefully have enough tumblers to alter/swap around to fit this key to the door locks so they match
I might try and find a good locksmith(I guess an old guy would be best or can a modern locksmith manage??)
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#25 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by Gfhug » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:34 am

Robbie, it very much depends on how hands on your locksmith is, whether oldtimer or youngtimer. It is easy to lose the tiny springs in removing the leaves and using good leaves/springs will make for a better refurbished lock. I should see what they say and if they start suggesting it'll be expensive then find someone else, or a friend who is able to do this sort of work if you're not confident.

Good luck

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tonyabacus
Great Britain

#26 Re: Refurbishing door handles/locks

Post by tonyabacus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:52 pm

Robbie
This job is not very difficult at all and probably well within your own expertise. The only thing you need to do is be careful as you remove the tumblers. By using the method I described earlier you can withdraw each of the tumblers one by one and therefore control the little springs. If you are still concerned use one of those clear plastic bags your wife uses in the kitchen and by putting your hands and the barrel inside, you can draw the key out of the barrel one tumbler at a time and if the springs do let go then you will catch them in the bag.
Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic