Smooth Cam Covers

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#1 Smooth Cam Covers

Post by mgcjag » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:16 am

Hi All.....Re smooth cam covers.....anyone know if the thread size for the oil filler cap is the same across the XK range as some of you may have read one of our members is going to produce a Monza style oil filler cap and screw in addaptor........just want to check if all smooth covers are the same thread size.....Not everyone has E type smooth covers ......some have come from other Jaguar models.....thanks... Steve
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#2 Re: Smooth Cam Covers

Post by 288gto » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:27 am

Hi Steve,

The part number for the cap is C1022 and fits 3.8 cars through to S2 4.2 cars as well as a host of other XK engined models.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Smooth Cam Covers

Post by mgcjag » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:33 am

Thanks Simon...must be slipping......should have done this myself......google search on the part number for the cap shows as you say suitable for cars from 1950-1987 .....however have found out that although the thread is the same the seal gasket was changed from fibre to rubber o ring at some stage....so although the same cap will screw into all covers there may be a seal issue...However the Monza adaptor is provided without a seal and the fitter can add their own, Hylomar etc.... All the best....Steve
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dawnpatrol
Great Britain

#4 Re: Smooth Cam Covers

Post by Dawnpatrol » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:58 pm

HI Steve,
The Monza cap should come with a fibre washer, at least it did with the one I used on my oil tank.
Either way, car build solutions (there are others) sell a range of fibre washers of different thicknesses and diameters to suit the various size caps, so that when you screw it down you can acheive the correct orientation of the cap on the tank/cam cover et al. Stops you over/under tightening it with the evenitible consequences. Also do the same for the Monza Fuel tank caps.
Not expensive, so I bought a range of sizes.
You might need a couple if you are using an adaptor to mate with the Monza cap female thread.
If you are kean, you could apply a smidgen of Wellseal as well as the cap landing on the cam cover is sometimes not a good level surface, hence the O-ring on later covers.

Hope that makes sense and I'm up your tree??
Regards,
Michael
Michael
1961 OTS LWE, 1965 OTS, 1966 FHC.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic