Scrapping sound from front wheel brake caliper

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
elliottS
United States of America

#1 Scrapping sound from front wheel brake caliper

Post by elliottS » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:56 pm

I changed the front brake pads and noticed when I spun the disc I was getting a scrapping sound from one brake disc. I have been hearing that type of sound when driving and sound like 2 pieces of fine sandpaper rubbing together. And it goes away when brakes applied.

I saw from the book to keep of the spacers when you take the caliper off but there were no spacers. If In need spacers how do I know what to use? I can't see what it is rubbing on but going to take a better look. Marks on the disc is where I will start. There were none on the side I see so need to look on the inside.

Thanks for any info to what may be the problem. (already changed the wheel bearing.)
Elliott Stage
1969 FHC
Silver

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#2 Re: Scrapping sound from front wheel brake caliper

Post by tinworm » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:27 pm

Did you take the disc (disk) off - if so check again there is nothing (rust) under it and all is clean use abrasive paper to make sure. The spacers are actually shims and should be there to centralise the caliper - read the manual- you set central position using feeler gauges .

all the best Barrie
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic