The E-Type Forum - celebrating 53 years of the ultimate motoring icon Forum Index The E-Type Forum - celebrating 53 years of the ultimate motoring icon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The E-Type Forum - celebrating 53 years of the ultimate motoring icon Forum Index

Radiator foam seal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The E-Type Forum - celebrating 53 years of the ultimate motoring icon Forum Index -> Series 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgcjag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Radiator foam seal Reply with quote

Hi Guys......69 S2 2+2......should there be a foam seal on top of the radiator.....the SC Parts catalogue showes one as part no SJ 10746....but havent seen one on another car......any ideas...thanks. Steve
christopher storey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK , the foam ( or more accurately felt) seal should go on top of the radiator stoneguard, not the radiator itself
Francis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this e-bay listing, on the pictures you will see it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130483197742&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Francis

mgcjag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys the foam i refer to is shown in the s c parts catalogue as item 9 as below any one seen one & is it required Steve http://www.scparts.co.uk/index/lang-2/lkz-195/markenid-2/katnr-68/kat_sprache-2/hrubnr-987/rubrik-2014/tpl-clickable_vertikal.tpl,x-a.htm
christopher storey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never yet seen a car with one, ( but I am not very familiar with S1.5) but frankly it seems rather pointless, since the only object is to force air through the radiator, and it can still go round the sides . I certainly would not regard it as a priority - my S2 has not had one in the 15 years I have had it!
Heuer
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jaguar put a seal on there was probably a very good reason for it given the penny pinching Mr Arthur Whittaker was in charge of purchasing! For 20 you may as well put it on if only from the originality point of view.
S1 OTS OSB.; S1 FHC ODB #860294
christopher storey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stick to my guns on this. I do not believe this is an original part. The car which Frances has used as an example ( just added to XKE data by the way ) has no stoneguard and thus no felt seal above it . This looks to me like a bodge to overcome that problem . If anyone has a Haddock book it may reveal whether they were fitted to S1.5 at the time
Heuer
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing in Haddock on the subject but the SC Parts catalogue (which is excellent in its detail) list the part number as BD31996 which is a Jaguar one given that, for example, part BD36788 is listed by SNG as "E-Type S2 Genuine Jaguar bonnet".

S1 OTS OSB.; S1 FHC ODB #860294
christopher storey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David : most interesting. Barratt's do not show anything , but Manners do,(although not from stock) and at 24 it's more substantial than the V12 seal which they list as BD34365. It sounds as though there is such a part which fills the gap between the later ( lower than S1) radiator and the bonnet
andy303

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was definitely used. You can see it in some of the open bonnet views in the the Brooksland Books Ultimate Portfolio road tests articles, IIRC most easily spotted in Road and Tracks test of the '69 S2 FHC. The stone guard is still used. Obviously it is meant to maximize the volume of incoming air through the radiator core. Perhaps it is meant to help when stuck in traffic to increase the effectiveness of the fans when stopped or moving slowly.
Fear God and Dreadnought
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The E-Type Forum - celebrating 53 years of the ultimate motoring icon Forum Index -> Series 2 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: