The E-Type Forum - celebrating 53 years of the ultimate motoring icon Forum Index The E-Type Forum - celebrating 53 years of the ultimate motoring icon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The E-Type Forum - celebrating 53 years of the ultimate motoring icon Forum Index

EDIS/Megajolt Ignition Support Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The E-Type Forum - celebrating 53 years of the ultimate motoring icon Forum Index -> E-Type Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heuer
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: EDIS/Megajolt Ignition Support Thread Reply with quote

Since this thread was started in 2008 the number of E-Type owners using the EDIS/Megajolt system has started to grow and the availability of a complete kit from Ray Livingston accelerated this considerably. To keep things tidy on the Forum I thought it would be useful to make this a central EDIS/Megajolt 'Support' thread and sticky it to the top. If you have questions, answers or issues post them here or send Ray a PM although experience suggest's this is now an easy and trouble free upgrade well within the skills of the average owner. I have condensed all relevant knowledge into this first post so no need to read through all 30+ pages but if you have a question please ask in the thread. Unfortunately Ray has now sold out of kits and is not making any more but if you want to go down this route and are handy with fabricating brackets and soldering connectors then give it a try. The Megajolt controller, EDIS module, trigger wheel, connectors, sensor and coil packs are available new from www.Trigger-wheels.com although the EDIS module and coil packs come up on eBay for very little money.

We are also adding to our library of Megajolt Maps available for download to add to the fun!. No problem with loading these maps and trying them whatever engine you have. If anyone has more maps please let me have them for our library. You can find them here:

Ray's installation instructions: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8496016/E-Type%20EDIS%20Ignition%20Kit%20v2.pdf
Ray's Megajolt Quick Programmer: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8496016/MegaJolt%20Quick%20Programmer%20Installer.zip
Megajolt Configuration tool: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8496016/mjljConfig_v4.0.2.exe
Timing Tutorial: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8496016/Timing.pdf

4.2 Standard Map (based on Jaguar advance curve, assume 100 octane fuel): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8496016/S1%204.2LVacuumStock.zip
4.2 Alternate Map (different 500rpm idle advance): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8496016/4.2map.zip
4.2 Heuer Dyno Map (VSE02 9.5:1, ITG air filter, 99RON): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8496016/dyno%204.2.zip
3.8 Standard Map (based on Jaguar advance curve, assume 100 octane fuel): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8496016/3.8LVacuumStock.zip
3.8 Kingzetts Dyno map (8:1, 95RON, standard car): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8496016/XK%203800%20map%20Hitech%20mapped%20March%202012.zip
4.2 Mike Goodwin Map V1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8496016/mikeg2013-1.zip
4.2 Mike Goodwin Map V2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8496016/mikeg24apr13-2.zip

NB - check the map to ensure the soft rev limit is set (under 'Options') appropriate to your engine or preference.

Also check your Global Megajolt configuration is set to 6 cylinders, not the default 4.

This is what the various maps look like:
Here is the 4.2 Megajolt map Ray supplies which broadly follows the standard Jaguar vacuum distributor:

Here is the alternate 4.2 map:

Here is David's (Heuer) 4.2 tuned engine dyno map:

Here is the 3.8 Megajolt map Ray supplies:

For comparison here is John's (kingzetts) 3.8 map after being setup on a Dyno:

Here are Mike Goodwins maps:
V1

V2

Here is how to interpret the map:

The Megajolt requires a Serial to USB converter if your PC does not have a 9 pin serial port (most modern PC's do not). Unfortunately some of these converters can cause connectivity problems or Windows to crash when used with Megajolt. You must buy a converter based on either the FTDI or Prolific chipset (it will say this in the product description) and make sure you have the latest drivers loaded. The FTDI and Prolific chips have been tested and approved for use with Megajolt.

FTDI by Startech and (unbranded) Prolific:

Troubleshooting:

1. If the car misfires or runs on four cylinders check the female plug going to the coil pack. The three U shaped connectors need to be 'gently' squeezed so they are a tighter fit to the male pins.

2. It has been known for a coil pack to be faulty with one of the six coils shorting to earth. The car will misfire on one cylinder. No real way of testing it so substituting the coil pack is the best option. Buy a s/h one off eBay or a new one from Trigger-wheels.com.

3. The system is modular and the car will run without the Megajolt being connected to EDIS. If you are having problems unplug the Megajolt controller and see if the car will run without misfire. The EDIS controller will fire the coil pack although there will be no advance applied - a sort of limp home mode but still driveable.

If you want to add option extras to your Megajolt (rev counter, shift light, second switchable map etc):

S1 OTS OSB.; S1 FHC ODB #860294

Last edited by Heuer on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:33 am; edited 32 times in total
Heuer
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I've been working a lot over the last week on my EDIS kit, and I'm nearly done designing a complete, bolt-on kit for all 6-cyl E-types *except* likely those which have (or once had) power steering and/or A/C (I'm assuming the pulley offsets are different on those, but I haven't really researched it yet). There will be a single kit that will work on any 3.8 or 4.2L E-type w/o P/S or A/C. I will also, eventually, do a V12 kit. Installation will be pure bolt-on with absolutely no modification whatsoever to the car. I would guess on the order of 2-4 hours to install, depending on skill level.

Here's what I'm thinking the kit will include:

Adjustable crank-mounted 36-1 trigger wheel
Adjustable crank pickup mounting bracket
New MegaJolt control module
Used/Tested EDIS-6 module
Used/Tested EDIS-6 coil-pack
New EDIS plug wires
New Crank pickup
Complete custom wiring harness (used EDIS connectors)
Custom mounting bracket for EDIS module
Custom mounting bracket for coil-pack
Manifold vacuum tubing and Tee
All necessary mounting hardware

The coil-pack will be mounted to the ''plug'' that replaces the distributor, for a stealthy ''stock'' look. The EDIS module will be mounted near the coilpack, out of sight. The MegaJolt mounts in the passenger compartment, behind the glove box, so it's readily available for programming while you drive. Looks to me like cost of the kit would have to be about $800, and I expect to have them ready in about 2-3 months. New coil-packs, EDIS modules, and connectors are available, though the cost seems to me not really worth it (roughly $400 additional cost). For that kind of money, I'd rather carry spare used units.

How does that sound to folks?

Ray"

If you are interested (and I have my name down for one) please send Ray an email: Jagboy@pacbell.net This is a far better solution than Petronix, Mallory, 123, Lumenition etc electronic ignitions.

Last edited by Heuer on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
Heuer
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Ray:

Several more steps forward today! I've got all but two absolutely trivial pieces fabbed from the ''production'' design, and everything fits perfectly.

In the first picture, you see most of the parts of the kit, except the wiring harness, the EDIS module mounting bracket (which is a simple flat plate with a few holes in it), the blanking plate that passes the harness from the engine bay to the passenger compartment, the MegaJolt unit, and some miscellaneous hardware (bolts and washers, harness clips, etc.).

The trigger wheel bolts in front of the crankshaft pulley, by simply removing the existing bolts, and installing the trigger wheel and spacer ring with new, longer bolts. Base timing is set by rotating the trigger wheel w.r.t. the crank, by means of the slotted holes. First, set the engine to 10BTDC on #1, then rotate the trigger wheel until a specific tooth on the trigger wheel is exactly lined up with the pickup. I was able to do this visually from above on mine, using a small mirror, and have it right within a small fraction of a degree.

The pickup assembly (photos 2 & 3), mounts to two of the left-hand timing cover bolts. The bracket is made of two pieces with a dovetail between them, to allow setting proper spacing of the pickup from the trigger wheel (1-2mm).

Next, you remove your Lucas dizzy, and the coilpack bracket (photos 4 & 5) drops right into the hole, and is retained by the attachment same bolt. The bracket aligns with a ''step'' machined into the block, so the bracket cannot rotate. Mount the coilpack to the bracket, and plug in the plug wires (the plug towers are numbered, making this job easy). (BTW - the ''production'' coilpack bracket will have an O-ring oil seal on the ''plug'' that goes into the dizzy hole in the block, to preclude oil seepage)

The EDIS module (last photo, with coilpack) will mount, using a small bracket, to the right-hand bolt attaching the vacuum reservoir to the firewall. This bracket will have a ''buffer'' where it makes contact, so the metal bracket will not mar the paint on the firewall.

The wiring harness will pass through the firewall via a ''blanking'' plate that goes where the steering column isn't (on the RH side for LHD cars, on the LH side for RHD cars), and the MegaJolt module will mount to the bulkhead directly behind the glove box by a pair of sheet metal screws, or Velcro, if you don't want to drill any holes.

Everything in the engine bay can be easily installed from the top, in a few hours, without removing anything else, though removing the alternator does give you more room to work when installing the pickup and trigger wheel. No special tools or unusual skills will be required to install it.

Last edited by Heuer on Thu May 03, 2012 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heuer
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update from Ray:

"The EDIS kit is a complete, bolt-on kit, including every single component, nut, bolt, washer and wire needed to install an EDIS-based ignition system on your 6-cylinder E-type. This initial kit will be restricted as follows:

LHD only (a RHD kit will be made available very shortly - only the wiring harness is different from the LHD kit)
Non-A/C, non-P/S cars only (a kit to support A/C and/or P/S cars will be made available shortly, if demand warrants - only the pickup bracket and wiring harness are different from the non-A/C non-P/S kit)

The kit will consist of the following (see above for a few pictures)

New, custom, adjustable crankshaft-mounted precision water-jet cut mild steel 36-1 trigger wheel
New, custom milled 6061 aluminum trigger wheel mounting spacer ring
New trigger wheel pickup
New, custom, milled 6061 aluminum adjustable pickup mounting bracket assembly
New, custom, milled 6061 aluminum coilpack mounting bracket
New, custom, milled 6061 aluminum EDIS module mounting bracket
New MegaJolt ignition controller
New spark plug wire set w/correct locking EDIS coil ends
New, custom, milled 6061 aluminum firewall pass-through "plug" integrated into wiring harness
New wiring harness, with ALL new connectors
New E-type standard plastic "strapping" for fastening wiring harness to frame rails
Reconditioned used Ford EDIS 6 module
Reconditioned used Ford EDIS 6 coil pack
ALL required hardware - nuts, bolts, screws, washers, lock washers, etc.
Complete installation instructions
An assortment of pre-defined advance curves, based on Jaguar factory curves for different models/years

The ONLY used parts in the kit are the EDIS module and coilpack. Though used, these are both tested to ensure they are fully functional, and, as they have been thoroughly "burned in" by their previous owners, their being used should NOT impair reliability in any way. ALL wiring harness connectors are brand new, factory quality parts (these are HARD to find, and EXPENSIVE!). New connectors, I believe, ARE important for reliability, and justifies the significant additional cost. The trigger wheel mounts to the crankshaft pulley, using the same four bolts which hold the pulley to the damper. The trigger wheel pickup mounts to a bracket bolted to two of the LH side timing cover bolts. The coilpack mounts to the distributor boss in the XK block, using the existing attachment, allowing a very nearly "stock" look. The EDIS module mounts to the firewall, right next to the vacuum canister, using an existing welded-nut bolt hole. The wiring harness passes through the firewall by means of a cover that replaces the stamped-steel cover over the RHD steering column hole. The MegaJolt mounts inside, tucked behind the glove box. This can be mounted with the computer connector mounted downwards, for easy access for programming the MegaJolt, if desired. I would estimate installation will take 2-3 hours for most users, and no special tools or experience are required. There is no complicated dis-assembly required (hardest part is getting the old crankshaft pulley bolts off), and NO modifications whatsoever to the vehicle itself, beyond (optionally) drilling two small holes in the bulkhead behind the glove box for two sheet metal screws to hold the MegaJolt in place. Alternatively, Velcro could be used here.

I am estimating the kit price to be $750, based on what I currently gauge the demand to be, and my anticipated "production" costs. It will NOT be more than this."

Ray is ready to into production with these but needs to know how many people want the kit.
Please contact Ray ASAP to place your order. If there are not enough takers it will not be economic for Ray to go ahead.

First deliveries expected in October and you will be billed just before your kit ships.

Email Ray: Jagboy@pacbell.net

Last edited by Heuer on Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
RayLivingston

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here have any good photos of the firewall area on a RHD car? I have no access to a RHD car over here (California), and need to figure out where to mount the EDIS module, and the correct wiring harness lengths foer the RHD version of the kit.

On the LHD version, the EDIS module mounts to the RH bolt holding the vacuum tank to the firewall, and the harness passes through the firewall through the RHD steering column opening. For the RHD version, my preference would be to leave the EDIS module in the same location, and simply run the harness over to the LH side, and through the LHD steering column opening. But, I'm not sure there is room for the EDIS module there, and it appears the washer bottle may be in the way of the LHD steering column opening. Some picture of those areas would really help!

1954Etype

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray

have a look at my photobucket album (www.photobucket.com). Log on with angusmoss with jaguar as the password. Navigate to album 1E11497. You should see all you need in there somewhere. Oh, and put me down for a unit!).

Angus
RayLivingston

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus,

That doesn't seem to be the right album.... All I see is rust.... Smile

RayLivingston

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Never mind, I found it....
1954Etype

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Git!
Heuer
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads-up to say Ray is including a 'D-Type' style lead separator complete with black silicone HT leads to his kit. Leads will be correctly terminated and threaded through the separator:

Arguably, bundling the HT leads together when using a high voltage electronic ignition system can cause induced 'cross-talk' interference in adjacent leads so best to keep them apart as far as possible. Jaguar clearly thought so when they went racing!

Ray has enough orders to make a small production run viable so you need to let him know quickly if you want one as he has to order the parts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The E-Type Forum - celebrating 53 years of the ultimate motoring icon Forum Index -> E-Type Upgrades All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 1 of 35

Jump to: