Search found 14 matches
- Fri May 09, 2025 10:21 am
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Otter switch test
- Replies: 27
- Views: 80432

Re: Otter switch test
:seeingstars: Thank you. I will try that, Caveman! But I already know the relay clicks away when connecting and disconnecting the otter switch. Is that proof the relay is ok? As already stated connecting the otter switch two spade connectors with a wire doesn't bring on the fans. I really am at a lo...
- Thu May 08, 2025 12:49 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Otter switch test
- Replies: 27
- Views: 80432

Re: Otter switch test
My apologies to everyone. My relay has 4 connectors. One connector has two spades both going to the same point! I have been counting them as two separate connectors! Again, apologies. This is a black art as far as I'm concerned! Don't know where this leaves me but could I get a three connector relay...
- Thu May 08, 2025 12:27 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Otter switch test
- Replies: 27
- Views: 80432

Re: Otter switch test
Hi Marek and thank you. I am getting 76 ohms between the two connectors you mention. Cleaning the relay inside is that doable? How? The case is crimped on can it be easily removed? Is it not worth the bother, just buy a replacement? Am I looking in the wrong place? Could it be the otter switch inste...
- Thu May 08, 2025 8:37 am
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Otter switch test
- Replies: 27
- Views: 80432

Re: Otter switch test
Steve, just found this if you look at it. It appears to give some clarity on my situation.....
https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/series- ... lay/436215
Cheers, John
https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/series- ... lay/436215
Cheers, John
- Thu May 08, 2025 8:13 am
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Otter switch test
- Replies: 27
- Views: 80432

Re: Otter switch test
Steve, many thanks for your input. Just want to check, my relay has 5 connectors, the diagram you sent appears to show three. Am I right that some early e types had a three connector relay and later had five? I have ordered a five one and as I said will try it. Again thanks for your kind interest an...
- Wed May 07, 2025 9:26 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Otter switch test
- Replies: 27
- Views: 80432

Re: Otter switch test
Three points. The fan relay on the picture frame has five connectors, not three. My Haynes wiring diagram says two relays if the car has air conditioning, which if course mine doesn't. The fuse diagram in the car's drop down dash compartment shows fuse number 6 for fan relay Very confusing, for me t...
- Wed May 07, 2025 7:30 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Otter switch test
- Replies: 27
- Views: 80432

Re: Otter switch test
I've had the car nearly 50 years! Second owner! Never touched anything in that area and fans have always worked so can't feel it wasn't an original fitting. Can't be sure though.
Awaiting new relay and will install and wire as before. Hopefully will work.
John
Awaiting new relay and will install and wire as before. Hopefully will work.
John
- Wed May 07, 2025 5:01 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Otter switch test
- Replies: 27
- Views: 80432

Re: Otter switch test
Hello kind helpers. Some success but not there yet! As an experiment I moved the green wire spade connector on the relay, (please see photo), to an adjacent connector and the fans came on! Bingo! But they stay on all the time with the ignition switched on! What does this suggest? Is it a faulty rela...
- Sat May 03, 2025 6:10 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Otter switch test
- Replies: 27
- Views: 80432

Re: Otter switch test
Thanks for replies, really appreciated. Car is a 1968 FHC. Called Series 1.5, but Heritage Certificate classes its Series 1. Built July 1968. Has factory fitted twin fans . They were working ok until recently. Have had fuse fail servers times on the past year. Could that be a clue. Both fans turn ea...
- Sat May 03, 2025 11:01 am
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Otter switch test
- Replies: 27
- Views: 80432

Re: Otter switch test
Hello, I have connected a wire across the two spade connectors and no fans come on. I noticed a small spark each time I did this and when I reconnected them to the otter switch. I also checked with a multimeter across the two connectors and got 12 volts. One connector presumably is positive and the ...
- Tue Apr 29, 2025 9:04 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Otter switch test
- Replies: 27
- Views: 80432

Re: Otter switch test
Matekh, at the moment the fans do not work, hence connecting the two otter switch wires to see if they come on. If they do it means the other switch is not working.
- Tue Apr 29, 2025 11:26 am
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Otter switch test
- Replies: 27
- Views: 80432

Otter switch test
Hello.
I want to test my series one otter switch. It sits on top of the radiator and has two connectors going to it.. It is a twin fan radiator.
If I disconnect both connectors and connect them together by a copper wire should that start the fans?
Many thanks,
John
I want to test my series one otter switch. It sits on top of the radiator and has two connectors going to it.. It is a twin fan radiator.
If I disconnect both connectors and connect them together by a copper wire should that start the fans?
Many thanks,
John
- Mon Jan 20, 2025 10:28 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Cooling fans not working
- Replies: 3
- Views: 38784

Re: Cooling fans not working
Thank you both for your very explicit and helpful replies. I will follow your advice and report back.
Again, many thanks, John
Again, many thanks, John
- Mon Jan 20, 2025 11:48 am
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Cooling fans not working
- Replies: 3
- Views: 38784

Cooling fans not working
1968 Series 1.5 FHC. Twin rad fans. After a 3 months lay up the fans do not come on when hot. Fuse ok. Thought might be Otter Switch. Took the two leads off the switch and connected together. Fans did not come on. So not the otter switch? Could hear clicking sound from the relay attached to the fram...


