Search found 19 matches

by hirstydg
Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:02 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: conrod nuts
Replies: 6
Views: 5397

Thanks for that Moe. I have heard of similar experiences from other XK owners. I'm going for the later type of nut and will add Locktite on the basis that it can't do any harm.

David
by hirstydg
Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:17 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: conrod nuts
Replies: 6
Views: 5397

Thanks everyone. Mixed opinions so still undecided.

David
by hirstydg
Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:30 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: conrod nuts
Replies: 6
Views: 5397

conrod nuts

Hi All Engine of my 3.8 FHC was recently rebuild and reassembled using the original big end bolts and castellated nuts with new split pins. The sump is off again (don't ask) and so I have the opportunity to replace bolts and/or nuts with upgrades. I spoke to Rob Beere (extremely helpful) about this ...
by hirstydg
Thu May 15, 2014 3:49 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Starter solenoid location
Replies: 2
Views: 3072

That's great. Thank you. Looks like it's attached vertically to the engine frame by a zinc plated clip.

David
by hirstydg
Thu May 15, 2014 8:27 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: Starter solenoid location
Replies: 2
Views: 3072

Starter solenoid location

Hi all I'm replacing the starter solenoid in my 1964 3.8 FHC RHD. The old one was attached to one of the bulkhead blanking plates but doesn't look right and puts a strain on the wiring loom. I would be most grateful of someone could let me know the correct location and orientation of the solenoid. P...
by hirstydg
Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:31 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: Running in
Replies: 7
Views: 6227

running in

Many thanks, that is sound advice. Part throttle and varied driving with 3000 rpm rev limit till 1000 miles seems good. I have done one oil and filter change already after only static running of the engine and intend to do a second change from the running in oil to Penrite classic 20/50 at about 400...
by hirstydg
Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:27 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Running in
Replies: 7
Views: 6227

Running in

Hi All Just finished the rebuild of my 3.8 FHC and hoping to enjoy it over the summer. The handbook states that the engine should be restricted to 2500 rpm for the 1st 1000 miles and 3000 rpm till 2000 miles. This is quite restrictive especially when I will probably only be driving about 1500 miles ...
by hirstydg
Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:34 am
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Speedo reading low
Replies: 5
Views: 4404

Hi Well I've managed to repair the original angle drive and it does indeed have a different gear ratio 1:1.25 (gearing up) compared with the replacement one I used (1:1). This accounts for the 20% low error on the speedo. Thanks for the advice. I just need to get the odometer working properly now. I...
by hirstydg
Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:43 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Speedo reading low
Replies: 5
Views: 4404

Many thanks for these ideas. I didn't realise that the angled drives come in different ratios so that looks like a good place to start. GPS app sounds like Good idea too just to find out how accurate the speedo really is.

David
by hirstydg
Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:30 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Speedo reading low
Replies: 5
Views: 4404

Speedo reading low

Hi all Have just got my 3.8 FHC back on he road after a two year restoration. Car runs well but the speedo reads low. Indicates 18 mph/1000 rpm in top gear instead of 22.5 which I think it should. Rev counter has been checked against an electronic one is is pretty accurate. My speed has the number 6...
by hirstydg
Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:10 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: exhaust heatshields
Replies: 1
Views: 2723

exhaust heatshields

I would appreciate some advice on how to fit front and rear heatshields to my '64 3.8 FHC prior to installing exhaust system. There are no obvious mounting brackets or even holes on the underside of the car. My car did not have them fitted so I bought these from SC, thinking it would protect the und...
by hirstydg
Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:32 am
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Horn and fan relays
Replies: 4
Views: 4355

Many thanks that is a great help
by hirstydg
Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:37 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Horn and fan relays
Replies: 4
Views: 4355

Horn and fan relays

Have spent the past 4 months reassembling my 3.8 dhc after a complete rebuild. Despite taking numerous photos during dismantling the position of the horn and cooling fan relays was not visible. I would be grateful if anyone could take a look at their car and let me know their positions. Mine is one ...
by hirstydg
Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:23 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Sad case of a lost engine
Replies: 1
Views: 3185

Sad case of a lost engine

My recently purchased 3.8 FHC lost its engine about 20 years ago. At that time a previous owner sent the engine to a specialist for repair, but the firm went bust and so he drove to their premises. The original engine could not be located, but he was offered an alternative 3.8 which is now fitted to...
by hirstydg
Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:55 am
Forum: Series 1
Topic: A very late 3.8
Replies: 18
Views: 19659

What was available

That's interesting. I also have no glovebox lid, but pump in tank and armrests on doors. I also have the oblong (4.2) ashtray and no radio or even blanked off slot (gearlever surround comes too far up the dash to permit it). There are also blanking panels (look original) where the speakers should go...
by hirstydg
Wed May 16, 2012 1:50 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: A very late 3.8
Replies: 18
Views: 19659

That's great to know David. Many thanks. Decision made, back to original colour scheme it is then.
by hirstydg
Wed May 16, 2012 1:00 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: A very late 3.8
Replies: 18
Views: 19659

3.8 FHC decisions, decisions

Just got back the Jaguar Heritage certificate and much to my surprise the car left the factory in Opalescent Golden Sand (see XKE-data sourced photo of this colour) with a red interior. I am surprised because there is not a trace of this colour anywhere on the car and several databases indicate that...
by hirstydg
Fri May 11, 2012 5:15 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: A very late 3.8
Replies: 18
Views: 19659

My 3.8 FHC thoroughly undressed

Many thanks for the interesting comments and advice. Seems there is a lot you can do to an e-type without devaluing at least as the market stands at the moment. Well, I took the decision that another restoration is required, keeping as close to original as possible. I'll keep the Coopercraft brakes ...
by hirstydg
Thu May 10, 2012 2:48 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: A very late 3.8
Replies: 18
Views: 19659

A very late 3.8

Let me introduce myself to the forum as a new e-type owner. I recently purchased a RHD 3.8 FHC. Its chassis number, 861773, indicates that it is the 17th last RHD FHC made and interestingly it has a lot of features that I had assumed were introduced with the 4.2. It was rebuilt in the 90s and althou...