Search found 9 matches

by velotech
Wed May 10, 2017 6:44 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Can you identify this ignition part?
Replies: 1
Views: 2377

Can you identify this ignition part?

This bakelite cylinder, about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch in diameter, was in-line on the high tension lead going from the coil to the distributor. I'm guessing that it may have been a resistor to minimize interference for the dealer installed radio on my very original U.S. version '63 FHC. It failed...
by velotech
Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:15 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Door Rubber Revisited
Replies: 3
Views: 3646

I could still use some help with this door seal question. The photos below show what I think is the original seal on the car and a section of it removed. The longer of its U shaped profile legs is definitely against the body, the shorter leg against the door. Every replacement seal I have tried has ...
by velotech
Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:02 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Door Rubber Revisited
Replies: 3
Views: 3646

It seems I might have to do just what you suggest: buy the later one piece door seal and cut it at the base of the A post. The section of this later seal that extends over the door window is not only very different looking than the original, but its foot is too wide to fit into the retaining channel...
by velotech
Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:16 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Door Rubber Revisited
Replies: 3
Views: 3646

Door Rubber Revisited

My issue is the same one submitted some time back by Andrew in this post (without a good resolution): Question; Is the top inner door seal on a 62 FHC the same as the seal that goes around the quarter light? I have a channel riveted to the body that goes all the way from the bottom corner of the Qua...
by velotech
Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:30 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: S1 Mudshield Sealing Rubber Strip
Replies: 9
Views: 6378

Hi Rory....have a look through the factory fit posts in the series 1 section....shows all the original features....i just scanned through the first few pages and to me the rubber looks plain.....are you sure yours are original and have never been replaced....done mine about 5 years ago and some nee...
by velotech
Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:06 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: S1 Mudshield Sealing Rubber Strip
Replies: 9
Views: 6378

You're both right in that the smooth replacement rubber is better than the original in that it is definitely more pliable. I was happy to use it in a car I had years ago as my daily driver and it worked well. But this car is so original that function must take a back seat to originality. Besides, as...
by velotech
Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:51 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: S1 Mudshield Sealing Rubber Strip
Replies: 9
Views: 6378

No, it is the rubber that attempts to seal the inner fender mudshields to the bonnet. These strips are held to the mudshields with rivets. I was mistaken when I described the texture of the original rubber as being crosshatched - holding one in my hand yesterday I think it would be better described ...
by velotech
Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:54 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: S1 Mudshield Sealing Rubber Strip
Replies: 9
Views: 6378

S1 Mudshield Sealing Rubber Strip

I'm replacing the all but gone original rubber strips and find that my new bits (and all the photos I find in related posts) are a smooth rubber. The original strips from my '63 have a crosshatched texture to them. Does anyone know where I could source a more correct rubber for this? And for that ma...
by velotech
Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:44 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Tach Generator Finish?
Replies: 5
Views: 4003

Tach Generator Finish?

The pot metal body of our '63 E Type's tach generator was just rebuilt and unfortunately the yellow/gold finish was removed by wire brushing the part. We need to either renew the finish or find another unit that has a good original finish. The first thing that we need to do is to find out what the o...