Search found 1111 matches

by politeperson
Thu Jul 30, 2026 4:07 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Gunmetal grey today’s paint code
Replies: 6
Views: 1382
Great Britain

Re: Gunmetal grey today’s paint code

This is what my version came out like. Sorry about the dust and the sun. Can you see it in your region? My local guys have the old Jaguar paint cards and they seem to be able to find all the colors I ask them to. If you are looking for Opalescent Gunmetal, they think it is J1052/33661 They send pain...
by politeperson
Wed May 20, 2026 1:07 pm
Forum: Series 3
Topic: M3 Powered S3 Convertible
Replies: 1
Views: 2809
Great Britain

Re: M3 Powered S3 Convertible

Thats a good idea.
by politeperson
Tue May 12, 2026 1:56 pm
Forum: Pub Chat
Topic: Race car prep wokshops: can't live with them, can't live without them
Replies: 3
Views: 3696
Great Britain

Re: Race car prep wokshops: can't live with them, can't live without them

In the UK, many of the proper workshops have effectively been driven underground because of operating costs. I can get cranks ground, engines built, upholstery done, paint done, shot blasting done reasonably but its all located in farm building, or in domestic garages. All the bigger players with pr...
by politeperson
Fri May 08, 2026 2:00 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Anyone around Bishops Stortford like to show me their e-type?
Replies: 13
Views: 8038
Great Britain

Re: Anyone around Bishops Stortford like to show me their e-type?

You are welcome to have a look at mine if you want to go the other side of Peterborough.
by politeperson
Wed Apr 29, 2026 3:40 pm
Forum: Series 3
Topic: Chassis strengthening
Replies: 13
Views: 7348
Great Britain

Re: Chassis strengthening

I used to have a car like that Marek, here it is. Welding the doors up was a cheap way of making a convertible for an 18 year old! Having sills that were 3 feet thick meant it didn't flex much, that's for sure. Getting ladies in and out was interesting. I insured it as a car with a large sunroof I r...
by politeperson
Tue Apr 28, 2026 3:22 pm
Forum: Series 3
Topic: Chassis strengthening
Replies: 13
Views: 7348
Great Britain

Re: Chassis strengthening

The standard roadster tub is very stiff and strong indeed when new. It may well flex a lot more than is should when it is old though! It is pretty common to add these additional panels in when building a tub. https://www.martinrobey.com/jaguar/e-type/e-type-series-3-v12-dhc/underframe-and-outer-body...
by politeperson
Mon Apr 27, 2026 3:17 pm
Forum: Series 3
Topic: Do I have an oil pressure issue
Replies: 9
Views: 6444
Great Britain

Re: Do I have an oil pressure issue

Just to add, because of the reasons Marek has outlined, I would avoided pressing the clutch pedal whilst cranking a cold XK engine (exactly the opposite of what you have to do in many modern cars). Disengaging the clutch puts a huge thrust on the crank, the reaction to this push being the thrust bea...
by politeperson
Tue Mar 31, 2026 11:53 am
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Thoughts on buying an E-Type
Replies: 35
Views: 32695
Great Britain

Re: Thoughts on buying an E-Type

Sounds promising. Lets hope it has been stored with antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor in the coolant. You never know, the engine might be fine if you are careful with it. They are certainly tough engines if looked after. I woke one up once that had been sleeping along time. 20 years or more. It ran wel...
by politeperson
Mon Mar 30, 2026 7:56 am
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Aldridge or other company recommendations
Replies: 6
Views: 4957
Great Britain

Re: Aldridge or other company recommendations

John Skinner? I think they are absorbing the EU tariffs at the moment.

I have found them very good indeed.

https://john-skinner.co.uk/
by politeperson
Fri Mar 27, 2026 7:53 am
Forum: General
Topic: CMC Bridgenorth
Replies: 15
Views: 9438
Great Britain

Re: CMC Bridgenorth

That is an awful lot of stuff.
by politeperson
Thu Mar 19, 2026 10:25 am
Forum: Series 2
Topic: EZ elec steering failed
Replies: 6
Views: 5847
Great Britain

Re: EZ elec steering failed

I assume the main power feed is connected directly onto the battery and not from a fuse? It has to be.
I have found this does make a difference to the reliability of the power steering unit.
by politeperson
Wed Feb 25, 2026 6:10 pm
Forum: General
Topic: E Type Video
Replies: 5
Views: 6244
Great Britain

Re: E Type Video

Nice lines on that one Angus.
by politeperson
Tue Dec 02, 2025 4:11 pm
Forum: General
Topic: 1962 3.8 Sunvisor Query
Replies: 6
Views: 6323
Great Britain

Re: 1962 3.8 Sunvisor Query

Good idea
by politeperson
Tue Dec 02, 2025 1:50 pm
Forum: General
Topic: 1962 3.8 Sunvisor Query
Replies: 6
Views: 6323
Great Britain

Re: 1962 3.8 Sunvisor Query

I see, thank-you. Driving without sun-visors can be very nasty indeed IMHO. I remember driving around without them on the XK120 with screens. Not nice at certain times of the day- pointing in certain directions with the sun low burning your eyeballs, even with a cap, sunglasses and goggles. I guess ...
by politeperson
Tue Dec 02, 2025 11:25 am
Forum: General
Topic: 1962 3.8 Sunvisor Query
Replies: 6
Views: 6323
Great Britain

1962 3.8 Sunvisor Query

Does anyone know what the correct sun visors should have on my 1962 3.8 Roadster please?

Produced 31st May 1962, chassis number 800536, RHD DHC.

This is what came off it. Transparent blue with a pair of clamps?


Image
by politeperson
Sun Nov 16, 2025 9:00 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: Torsion bar removal
Replies: 23
Views: 9115
Great Britain

Re: Torsion bar removal

As Steve says, sometimes you have to pull the wishbone down beyond the free hanging position to get the bolt free. It is locked up by the teardrop. I quite often have to waggle the whole lower arm assembly from underneath the car to get the bolt to start moving.
by politeperson
Tue Nov 11, 2025 12:49 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Thoughts on buying an E-Type
Replies: 35
Views: 32695
Great Britain

Re: Thoughts on buying an E-Type

Well done, sounds like a good purchase.
Of course you need to post some pictures on this forum for us!
by politeperson
Thu Nov 06, 2025 12:06 pm
Forum: Welcome!
Topic: New member introduction
Replies: 4
Views: 9766
Great Britain

Re: New member introduction

I like the orange. I might like the turbo too if plumbed in correctly. In the 911 world Bahama Yellow is one of the most popular colours for 60's cars. Still available today. Looks like your car might be a similar shade. https://i.postimg.cc/rFRvs5mx/Bahama-911.png I am pretty sure I have come acros...
by politeperson
Mon Sep 29, 2025 4:25 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: 3.8 boot badge
Replies: 21
Views: 15659
Great Britain

Re: 3.8 boot badge

Thanks Bill.
That within 2.2mm of Fats, So good enough for me.
by politeperson
Mon Sep 29, 2025 8:47 am
Forum: Series 1
Topic: 3.8 boot badge
Replies: 21
Views: 15659
Great Britain

Re: 3.8 boot badge

Thanks Fats