Search found 2189 matches

by andrewh
Tue Sep 15, 2026 2:09 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Oil over fill.....spin on adapter
Replies: 6
Views: 2464
Great Britain

Re: Oil over fill.....spin on adapter

Yes I imagine its all of the above. However, the question really related to the leaking down of the filter oil. So if one fills it from recently run ,I imagine the filter will be holding a pint or so. If its been left a while it will drain back to the sump. Anyway, too much oil definitely causes lea...
by andrewh
Sun Sep 13, 2026 5:16 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Oil over fill.....spin on adapter
Replies: 6
Views: 2464
Great Britain

Re: Oil over fill.....spin on adapter

Apologies to you both, I didn't get a notification of your replies, and therefore didnt get back to this thread. A friend fully rebuilt E type has developed oil leaks and I think its because he is topping it up after reversing it out of his garage. He naturally leaves it a while, but seems to have t...
by andrewh
Fri Aug 28, 2026 12:53 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Oil over fill.....spin on adapter
Replies: 6
Views: 2464
Great Britain

Oil over fill.....spin on adapter

Is it correct that the spin on oil adaptors have a one way valve to avoid drain down from the filter to the sump, thereby possibly making it possible to overfill the sump on the dipstick? So when you do an oil change you fill the sump to the correct level. Start the engine and then the first check m...
by andrewh
Mon Aug 10, 2026 8:19 am
Forum: General
Topic: 2 post v Scissor lift
Replies: 28
Views: 12747
Great Britain

Re: 2 post v Scissor lift

I restored my first E type on a AS 7530D scissor lift. It is a help for sure but its always a work around and frankly it feel dangerous and claustrophobic when working under neath . I would say its only really good for wheel stations, although with much care I was able to fit the engine and gearbox ...
by andrewh
Mon Aug 10, 2026 8:12 am
Forum: Series 1
Topic: What's it like living with a moss box?
Replies: 10
Views: 2139
Great Britain

Re: What's it like living with a moss box?

I have my original Moss box in my 62 3.8. I was extremely keen to restore the car to original factory specification and except a Fosseway cooling fan its pretty much exactly that. When the box was rebuilt for me the specialist told me it was a good one in that the integral synchros were in good cond...
by andrewh
Mon Jul 27, 2026 7:26 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: Speedo repair and calibration
Replies: 10
Views: 3159
Great Britain

Re: Speedo repair and calibration

:bigrin:

Yes I have dealt with them before. Thank you 🙏
by andrewh
Sun Jul 26, 2026 3:35 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Speedo repair and calibration
Replies: 10
Views: 3159
Great Britain

Re: Speedo repair and calibration

thank you. I know Andy , I will give him a call on monday. Thanks for the advice. .
by andrewh
Tue Jul 21, 2026 8:25 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: Speedo repair and calibration
Replies: 10
Views: 3159
Great Britain

Re: Speedo repair and calibration

thank you. and about 30 plus differing opinions sadly!
by andrewh
Mon Jul 20, 2026 8:31 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: Speedo repair and calibration
Replies: 10
Views: 3159
Great Britain

Re: Speedo repair and calibration

Thank you Guys, another name was mentioned in the JEC technical help section, that of JDO Instruments. Has anyone used them and able to recommend please? thanks andrew
by andrewh
Sun Jul 19, 2026 4:32 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Speedo repair and calibration
Replies: 10
Views: 3159
Great Britain

Speedo repair and calibration

Since Speedograph Richfield have ceased trading who is everyone using ? My “refurbished” Speedo has stopped working and I need it looked at hopefully with a quick turn around. I also want it calibrating to suit my 3.07 differential. There are usually one or two artisans around who do this sort of wo...
by andrewh
Fri Jun 05, 2026 6:28 am
Forum: Series 1
Topic: PREVIOUS OWNER SEARCH?
Replies: 7
Views: 3843
Great Britain

Re: PREVIOUS OWNER SEARCH?

I wish you luck but I fear that £5 is going straight into the DVLA XMAS party fund. :bigrin:
by andrewh
Fri Jun 05, 2026 6:17 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: Steering
Replies: 6
Views: 32295
Great Britain

Re: Steering

I imagine your tyres are somewhat of the problem in that they are wider than the original specification, which from memory should equate to a 205. Of course the steering rack may well be at fault , but I would also think a full steering geometry check would be worthwhile. As you refer to some more t...
by andrewh
Sun Mar 15, 2026 6:53 pm
Forum: General
Topic: E Type Video
Replies: 5
Views: 6251
Great Britain

Re: E Type Video

by andrewh
Thu Mar 12, 2026 9:21 am
Forum: General
Topic: E Type Video
Replies: 5
Views: 6251
Great Britain

Re: E Type Video

Nice video, the car looks awesome Angus. Does it have electric steering as well as the releasable steering wheel? As for the presenter, well not really my sort of watch, and I certainly don't agree with his take on a few E type market themes. The E type is possibly the most photographed and filmed B...
by andrewh
Sat Dec 27, 2025 4:55 pm
Forum: Series 1
Topic: New 3.8 smooth sump
Replies: 12
Views: 17307
Great Britain

Re: New 3.8 smooth sump

The sumps come from Croswaite and Gardener. I have purchased one but a ribbed version for a 4.2 restoration I carried out. I see they have this on their website , listed as smooth, but photo shows Ribbed. I would call them. Certainly the example I purchased was superbly manufactured, dispatched in a...
by andrewh
Sat Dec 27, 2025 4:49 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Merry Christmas 2025
Replies: 9
Views: 7661
Great Britain

Re: Merry Christmas 2025

Late to the party, but wishing all members a very happy XMAS and New Year.
by andrewh
Mon Nov 10, 2025 8:23 am
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Soft top question
Replies: 7
Views: 3001
Great Britain

Re: Soft top question

I am sorry I dont know part numbers, but I can say that the series 1 hoods were covered in mohair. My recommendation would be to speak with BAS Jaguar Trim supplies in the UK as they will send to you samples I am sure. They supply the vast number of trimmers with material and will no for sure what t...
by andrewh
Sat Oct 11, 2025 5:04 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Mirrors-Window Frame Mt-Bullet/Talbot Racing style bullet mirror available?
Replies: 10
Views: 17276
Great Britain

Re: Mirrors-Window Frame Mt-Bullet/Talbot Racing style bullet mirror available?

did you see this product? I have not tried it and have a round clip on from Holden myself on my Roadster. I have not noticed any excess wind noise but there again I normally have the roof down. https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ ... rror-100mm
by andrewh
Fri Sep 19, 2025 7:24 am
Forum: Series 1
Topic: Rear lights gasket to body fitting
Replies: 5
Views: 4145
Great Britain

Re: Rear lights gasket to body fitting

Are you aware that there are different gaskets for FHC and OTC? I have built both cars with new gaskets and there can be some patience required but they fit absolutely fine. You may have the wrong gaskets for your body. Edit: my memory may be playing tricks, the light units are definitely different ...
by andrewh
Sat May 31, 2025 6:11 pm
Forum: Series 3
Topic: Setting Mixture on Strombergs
Replies: 8
Views: 57696
Great Britain

Re: Setting Mixture on Strombergs

Thanks for the reply Marek. I am familiar with both types of Strombergs, early Range Rover has the mixture on the bottom and the later has the type accessed through the dashpot. I have not looked yet on mine but did read some comments on Jag Lovers I think suggesting that the XJ12 had non adjustable...