Search found 22 matches
- Thu Jul 24, 2025 10:45 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge
- Replies: 13
- Views: 19385

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge
Thanks John. i made a mistake in saying that there was zero ohms, when in fact it was infinite as you said. I will check the resistance across the terminals of the two gauges.
- Wed Jul 23, 2025 7:24 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge
- Replies: 13
- Views: 19385

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge
Thanks to all for the input. There is battery voltage to the gauge as described above. One of the sending units shows zero ohms between the terminal and the body while a second shows about 300 ohms. Wondering if anyone knows what the typical value is? Is there a typical resistance across the termina...
- Mon Jul 21, 2025 5:14 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge
- Replies: 13
- Views: 19385

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge
I didn't use any sealant or tape on the threads and there is a copper washer in place.
- Mon Jul 21, 2025 5:13 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge
- Replies: 13
- Views: 19385

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge
Thanks for the input. I will check the voltage at the gauge and at the terminals of the voltage regulator. I'm just surprised that the oil pressure gauge (the 1968 original) reads low or zero while the other original gauges seem fine.
- Sun Jul 20, 2025 3:34 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge
- Replies: 13
- Views: 19385

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge
Forgot to add that all other gauges work properly. Thanks in advance
- Sun Jul 20, 2025 3:30 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge
- Replies: 13
- Views: 19385

Oil Pressure Gauge
Fellow enthusiasts. I have a 1968 OTS that has been restored and has a new oil pump. For several years the oil pressure reading has been slowly dropping (before restoration) and now reading essentially zero, except in very cold weather at startup (10psi then). I have put a real gauge in the oil pres...
- Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:36 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Valve spring retainer cap issues
- Replies: 30
- Views: 15908

Re: Valve spring retainer cap issues
Roger, Sorry I do not know which parts are my engine's valve system. Wish I could help.
Frederick
Frederick
- Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:18 pm
- Forum: Technical
- Topic: Valve spring retainer cap issues
- Replies: 30
- Views: 15908

Re: Valve spring retainer cap issues
Gents,
I have a 1968 Series 1.5 (original owner) and my engine has valve guide seals. Don't have experience of the problem at issue but wanted to let you know that valve guide seals were well before Series III XJ6 (which we also had back in the day).
Best regards,
Frederick
I have a 1968 Series 1.5 (original owner) and my engine has valve guide seals. Don't have experience of the problem at issue but wanted to let you know that valve guide seals were well before Series III XJ6 (which we also had back in the day).
Best regards,
Frederick
- Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:45 pm
- Forum: General
- Topic: Advice with wire wheels
- Replies: 21
- Views: 19058

Re: Advice with wire wheels
Please note that bias-ply and radial tires use different types of tubes. I don not know what the difference is but it is important. Using bias-ply tubes in radial tires will result in flats. This is from personal experience many years ago.
- Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 pm
- Forum: Series 1
- Topic: Exhaust question/recommendations
- Replies: 19
- Views: 12500

Re: Exhaust question/recommendations
Steve,
I guess I don't know which one I have. When I bought it, maybe 2016, the big bore was the only other option I recall. So I could have either of the other two I suppose.
Thanks,
Fred
I guess I don't know which one I have. When I bought it, maybe 2016, the big bore was the only other option I recall. So I could have either of the other two I suppose.
Thanks,
Fred
- Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:59 pm
- Forum: Series 1
- Topic: Exhaust question/recommendations
- Replies: 19
- Views: 12500

Re: Exhaust question/recommendations
Hi gents. Can anyone recommend a quiet exhaust system. I have an SNG Barrett stainless system on a S1.5 OTS and would like less noise for longer trips.
Thanks,
Frederick
Thanks,
Frederick
- Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:39 pm
- Forum: General
- Topic: Advice with wire wheels
- Replies: 21
- Views: 19058

Re: Advice with wire wheels
Sorry for the delay but we were out of town over the holidays. Dayton provided the first two tubes for free and at cost for the second two since it had been quite a while since i reported the second problem with the slow leak. Happy New Year.
- Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:15 pm
- Forum: General
- Topic: Advice with wire wheels
- Replies: 21
- Views: 19058

Re: Advice with wire wheels
Hi Steve. They are new (2017) Dayton tubeless wires wheels with stainless spokes, purchased from Universal Tire in Hershey PA. Dunlop SP Sport 185x15 tires installed by them. No issues with tubes subsequently installed.
- Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:49 pm
- Forum: General
- Topic: Advice with wire wheels
- Replies: 21
- Views: 19058

Re: Advice with wire wheels
I purchased 4 tubeless wire wheels, with stainless spokes, while my car was being restored. After 2 months sitting in storage 2 were flat and would not hold air for long. Tubes were installed, provided by the seller at no cost. When the car was finished and I was driving it, another would loose air ...
- Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:23 pm
- Forum: Series 2
- Topic: looking for TRIPLEX logos for '68 & '69
- Replies: 11
- Views: 8771

Re: looking for TRIPLEX logos for '68 & '69
Tadek, I am the original owner of a Series 1.5 USA model E-type OTS. I tried to add a photo of the door glass Triplex logo to this post, but could not. All I got was some letters and symbols one try and a jpeg number the other but no photo. So I'm not sure what to do. The door glass is original to t...
- Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:45 pm
- Forum: General
- Topic: Sng manifolds.
- Replies: 9
- Views: 8986

Re: Sng manifolds.
Yes, I followed the break in procedure, but good question.
Fred
Fred
- Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:59 pm
- Forum: General
- Topic: Sng manifolds.
- Replies: 9
- Views: 8986

Re: Sng manifolds.
I bought two from them about 5 years ago and after just a few thousand miles in that time, they started to flake the ceramic coating.
Fred
Fred
- Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:14 pm
- Forum: Series 1
- Topic: rolling road figures
- Replies: 72
- Views: 95944

Re: rolling road figures
Gents,
I tested my Series 1968 1.5 with the 2 Strombergs, when it was relatively new, on a chassis dynamometer at Texaco Research Center. We got 160bhp at the wheels at 5000 (or so, can't remember exactly) engine rpm, in 2nd gear (speed limit obviously so not in 3rd or 4th).
Fred
I tested my Series 1968 1.5 with the 2 Strombergs, when it was relatively new, on a chassis dynamometer at Texaco Research Center. We got 160bhp at the wheels at 5000 (or so, can't remember exactly) engine rpm, in 2nd gear (speed limit obviously so not in 3rd or 4th).
Fred
- Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:00 pm
- Forum: Series 1
- Topic: Opalescent Golden Sand Colour varioations
- Replies: 4
- Views: 4783

Re: Opalescent Golden Sand Colour varioations
When I had my E-type restored (finished 2 yrs. ago), we could not find a good match for the Pale Primrose original color, particularly with DuPont and other more common finishes in the USA. We worked with a local paint supplier who made 4 or 5 small mixes to try to get a color match, but he could no...
- Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:56 pm
- Forum: Series 1
- Topic: Series 1.5 electronic tachometer
- Replies: 9
- Views: 7056

Re: Series 1.5 electronic tachometer
Christopher, Thanks for your suggestions. My tach is the earlier kind with the external white wire. The plastic bit that holds the wire loop is only big enough for one loop. The metal strap that surrounds the plastic loop holder is essential to the operation of the tach I am told, and it is indeed i...


