Search found 18 matches

by PainswickEType
Sun Nov 03, 2024 4:47 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Original registration
Replies: 7
Views: 62542
Great Britain

Re: Original registration

Of course the Heritage certificate doesn't show a registration, rather it is on the accompanying Jaguar vehicle information sheet. I also have a certificate of authenticity from the Coventry transport museum, along with a copy of the original hand written records showing the date, engine/chassis num...
by PainswickEType
Sat Nov 02, 2024 6:57 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Original registration
Replies: 7
Views: 62542
Great Britain

Original registration

Hi. I'm wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on a question I've had for years relating to my 1970 E Type convertible? I bought it knowing that it was a converted left hand drive from California. I have extensive history for the car showing that it was re-imported to the UK in 1990. ...
by PainswickEType
Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:23 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: Indicator problem.
Replies: 5
Views: 5483
Great Britain

Re: Indicator problem.

Danny its when the indicator is on right. It does it sitting in my garage.
by PainswickEType
Wed May 29, 2024 7:18 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: Indicator problem.
Replies: 5
Views: 5483
Great Britain

Re: Indicator problem.

Thanks for that. Just to confirm, tye indicators are working as they should, but the dashboard light for the flashers works intermittently when turning right
by PainswickEType
Mon May 27, 2024 9:20 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Indicator problem.
Replies: 5
Views: 5483
Great Britain

Indicator problem.

1970 Series 2 open top. I have a weird problem with my indicators when signalling right.. I have the indicator/horn/headlight flash stalk. Only when I indicate right, the dashboard indicator warning light flashes and you can hear the relay clicking. Then after about 15 or 20 seconds, the dashboard w...
by PainswickEType
Sat May 21, 2022 7:14 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: Lucas Ignition switch
Replies: 10
Views: 5701
Great Britain

Re: Lucas Ignition switch

Steve thanks for all your advice. I have already spent a couple of evenings in front of the tv fiddling with it and even got my mate who is a retired chief design engineer to have a quick butchers. I got it under a magnifier to see if I could see any register where the spring sat. I guess there is n...
by PainswickEType
Fri May 20, 2022 7:47 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Lucas Ignition switch
Replies: 10
Views: 5701
Great Britain

Re: Lucas Ignition switch

Problem now sorted. I found an almost identical switch on Ebay, advertised as an E Type series 3 switch with a completely different Lucas part no. The only difference I could see, was that my switch had two yellow/white wires on a starter relay output. The smaller gauge of the two yellow/white wires...
by PainswickEType
Mon May 16, 2022 6:29 am
Forum: Technical
Topic: Lucas Ignition switch
Replies: 10
Views: 5701
Great Britain

Re: Lucas Ignition switch

Not so simple! Out of stock wherever I look! I will have to start looking for a second hand one.
by PainswickEType
Sun May 15, 2022 8:59 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Lucas Ignition switch
Replies: 10
Views: 5701
Great Britain

Re: Lucas Ignition switch

Yes it seems obvious now! I think I will go for the new Lucas one and wire it up identically. Should do the trick.

Thanks Steve

Neil
by PainswickEType
Sun May 15, 2022 8:26 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Lucas Ignition switch
Replies: 10
Views: 5701
Great Britain

Re: Lucas Ignition switch

As fitted


Image
Image
by PainswickEType
Sun May 15, 2022 8:16 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Lucas Ignition switch
Replies: 10
Views: 5701
Great Britain

Re: Lucas Ignition switch

Hi Steve. Thanks for that. Yes, not sure that my switch is original. I have an ex California car fitted with steering lock. The switch fits into the back of the key unit. Although there are six positions on the plug, only three were in use, the others blanked. None of the wires from the loom actuall...
by PainswickEType
Sun May 15, 2022 6:02 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Lucas Ignition switch
Replies: 10
Views: 5701
Great Britain

Lucas Ignition switch

Hi, just removed the ignition switch from the back of the steering lock, as it has basically fallen apart. Just looking online at replacing it and came across this: https://www.autoelectricalspares.co.uk/lucas-39998-157sa-column-lock-switch-1052-p.asp Apart from having an F suffix and a different 4 ...
by PainswickEType
Fri May 06, 2022 7:42 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Radiator and header tank cap confusion
Replies: 7
Views: 4099
Great Britain

Re: Radiator and header tank cap confusion

Thanks very much Geoff Steve and Barrie. I will source a 7lb cap and re-try with the levels.

Neil
by PainswickEType
Fri May 06, 2022 5:28 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Radiator and header tank cap confusion
Replies: 7
Views: 4099
Great Britain

Radiator and header tank cap confusion

On my S2 4.2, I seem to be losing coolant from the header tank overflow. Usually just a dribble, yesterday about a cup full. Fairly certain the head gasket is fine, looked for the usual symptoms and can't see any problem. Engine runs at the right temp and normal levels of coolant. Seems to be worse ...
by PainswickEType
Sun May 01, 2022 4:58 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Coolant in footwell
Replies: 6
Views: 3277
Great Britain

Re: Coolant in footwell

Just checked online. I can get a pressure test kit for about £60 on Amazon.
by PainswickEType
Sun May 01, 2022 4:44 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Coolant in footwell
Replies: 6
Views: 3277
Great Britain

Re: Coolant in footwell

Thanks all. The bulkhead return pipes and heater valve are all brand new, although I paid someone to do it for me. (Couldn't face it)! It might be that the bulkhead seal isn't seated properly. I guess that the easiest thing to do would be to have that off and re-make it to make sure. I like the idea...
by PainswickEType
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:12 pm
Forum: Technical
Topic: Coolant in footwell
Replies: 6
Views: 3277
Great Britain

Coolant in footwell

Series 2 OTS Just looking for opinions before I start ripping things apart again! I have found that the carpets in the passenger footwell are wet again with coolant. Last year I replaced all of the dreaded steel return pipes and the heater control valve and O ring. All of the hoses are nice and tigh...
by PainswickEType
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:35 pm
Forum: Welcome!
Topic: New Member
Replies: 2
Views: 4732
Great Britain

New Member

Hi there. I have never been a great one for forums and chats, but having bought my Series 2 open top a year ago, I have had to overcome all sorts of really taxing problems with re-commissioning my car. I have to say that I would have really struggled without constantly 'dipping into' forums and read...