New member from Wisconsin, pics added

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Jim's 64 FHC
United States of America

#1 New member from Wisconsin, pics added

Post by Jim's 64 FHC » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:10 pm

Hi everyone. My name is Jim. I own a 64 3.8 xke. I bought it when i was 23 yrs old and restored it right away. I used it as a driver, and to go to local shows. Then in 1990, I decided I wanted to go road racing. So I put a roll bar in it and safety equipment, and went vintage road course racing. My friends thought I was nuts! they all asked, what if I wrecked it? I just said, I'm a bodyman, I'll fix it. I raced at world famous road america, and at 2 smaller road courses nearby. I ran the hell out of my Jag. I shifted that old moss crash box at 6000 rpm all day long! And those of you that know the moss box, know it's a lot of work. That 3.8 with straight pipes really screams at 6000 rpm!!!! I had people constantly asking me, How often it broke down? But I can truthfully say in 5 yrs of vintage racing, I never had a mechanical break down. Crazy huh? The brakes were a problem. I had good pads, but s1 brakes are small. I quickly had to learn brake management. Although, I did have them on fire a couple times! My car is back to just a street car now.. But it was a blast while it lasted. Iv'e restored a number of cars, But I'm down to just 3 cars now. My xke, and a 95 xj6 with only 60,000 miles. And in mint cond. And my last one, is a real odd one. A 1961 corvair rampside Pickup.. All restored, rare and weird. I like things to stand out, so I painted it a color from a 1970 hemi cuda. It's called Viton Yella. If I ever figure out how to post pics, I'll put one up. I hope I can contribute to the board....... Jim
Last edited by Jim's 64 FHC on Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
64 3.8 FHC
1995 xj6
1961 corvair rampside Pick up

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jim's 64 FHC
United States of America

#2 Re: New member from Wisconsin, USA

Post by Jim's 64 FHC » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:13 pm

I forgot to say, as of this year, I have owned my jag 40 years!!!!!!!
64 3.8 FHC
1995 xj6

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#3 Re: New member from Wisconsin, USA

Post by Gfhug » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:24 pm

Jim, welcome to the forum, the best place for all things E Type. Lots of information, help and friendly advice. Though sometimes for our cousins across the pond Jag Lovers can help, too. Maybe you are already on there.
Posting photos is easy, a popular online repository is Imgur. Set up a free account, upload photos, then select a photo to post on here. You just need to click on the box marked for use on forums and it’ll give you the code to use to post here. If you use the advanced search on here look for Imgur posted by Heuer (our administrator and headmaster) and he has shown how to do this.

Do tell us more about your experiences with your E Type, what have you done to convert it back into a street car, have you overhauled the engine, gearbox, body much?

Please add your name and car types to your signature area, it makes it easier to respond to questions if we know just what you have.

Good luck and I hope the snow hasn’t brought you too much trouble in Wisconsin

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jim's 64 FHC
United States of America

#4 Re: New member from Wisconsin, USA

Post by Jim's 64 FHC » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:47 pm

Thanks for the response.
I did a minor overhaul of the engine in 1983. rings, valve job, bearings, all seals, crank was good. Trans is just as when i bought car. Same for rear end. as is as when I bought it 40 yrs ago. I ran the hell out of it all these yrs, And never had engine apart again. Until 2 weeks ago. I pulled pan off to reseal it, and put new crank seal on timing cover. But thats the only thing taken apart in 40 yrs! come to think about it, the water pump is still the one I put on 40 yrs ago! And this will sound crazy, my in tank fuel pump is still working 40 yrs later! Damn I must be lucky.
As far as converting back from racing, the roll bar and 6 point harness is still in car. I ran the straight pipes until just last year, even on the street. It wasn't really that loud untill you get to 3500 rpm. But I finally wanted it quieter. so put new mufflers back on. Getting old I guess. lol
. Jim

I want to add to this post. I just had oil pan off to reseal it.. even after all these yrs, the inside of my engine is clean as a heck inside. I use synthetic diesel oil. rotella t6 15-40. There was no deposits in bottom of pan. But I change it often. Good maint. is crucial.
Last edited by Jim's 64 FHC on Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
64 3.8 FHC
1995 xj6

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#5 Re: New member from Wisconsin, USA

Post by DWW » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:55 pm

Hi Jim and welcome. A very interesting and exciting forty years of problem free ownership, can't wait to see the photos of your collection especially the E. You must have done an excellent job of restoration back in 1983 for the car to serve you so well problem free especially with that original crash box and racing history.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#6 Re: New member from Wisconsin, USA

Post by dlgis » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:31 pm

Hi Jim welcome from a fellow 64 fhc 3.8 owner, although only for just over a year in my case :bigrin:
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#7 Re: New member from Wisconsin, USA

Post by bitsobrits » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:40 am

Hey Jim,

Cool backstory on the E type. And I get the appeal of the Rampside as my Dad was into Corvairs (over 30 at one point!) so I grew up repairing and modifying virtually all of the various flavors. A Greenbriar was my winter car in high school in order to keep my 442 away from the salt.

I attend the vintage race weekend in Elkhart Lake every July (spectator only). Have you raced that event before? If so, I've no doubt seen you in action.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jim's 64 FHC
United States of America

#8 Re: New member from Wisconsin, USA

Post by Jim's 64 FHC » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:54 am

There were different vintage events. In july it used to be called the chicago Historic races. And another one was VSCDA vintage events. It was a lot of fun.

I read back what i wrote about my car, Dang, if I didn't live it myself, I don't think I would believe it. When I think about it, I can't believe my fuel pump is still working after over 40 yrs.

Jim
64 3.8 FHC
1995 xj6

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jim's 64 FHC
United States of America

#9 Re: New member from Wisconsin, USA

Post by Jim's 64 FHC » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:01 am

DWW wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:55 pm
Hi Jim and welcome. A very interesting and exciting forty years of problem free ownership, can't wait to see the photos of your collection especially the E. You must have done an excellent job of restoration back in 1983 for the car to serve you so well problem free especially with that original crash box and racing history.
I was just a youngster when I built my jag. seems like a lifetime ago. The crash box shifts lousy, but it is a tough unit.
I have to figure out how to post pics.
Jim
64 3.8 FHC
1995 xj6

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#10 Re: New member from Wisconsin, USA

Post by Gfhug » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:41 am

You can post photos with Imgur as shown here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19527&p=158684#p158684

Geoff
Last edited by Gfhug on Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#11 Re: New member from Wisconsin, USA

Post by mgcjag » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:56 pm

Hi Jim......the easy way to add photos if you just want to add a few is to type your message as normal.....then at the bottom left of the typing area is a blue P Add image to post.........click on this and select your image.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#12 Re: New member from Wisconsin, USA

Post by dlgis » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:43 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:56 pm
Hi Jim......the easy way to add photos if you just want to add a few is to type your message as normal.....then at the bottom left of the typing area is a blue P Add image to post.........click on this and select your image.....Steve
And you may find it necessary to click on the re-size image button. I use 640x480 (for message boards).

Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Jim's 64 FHC
United States of America

#13 Re: New member from Wisconsin, pics added

Post by Jim's 64 FHC » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:29 am

Finally added pics to my original post. 1 more here.
64 3.8 FHC
1995 xj6

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#14 Re: New member from Wisconsin, pics added

Post by DWW » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:32 am