#1 New To The Forum
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:32 pm
Hi,
I am new to E Type ownership although not new to classics having restored a Triumph Stag from the ground up. I have recently taken delivery of an S3 V12 with matching numbers that I have imported from the USA in need of full restoration. Being an Arizona car showing 90k miles (possibly 190K?) with 1 owner all it's life there is no rust at all. So realistically I believed that all it needs is paint, interior and a few sundry items.... or so I thought.
Having got the car home I have begun to strip her. It looks like someone in the US has started to strip her down already to restore her but abandoned the project after having bought a few new pieces. They have then just placed everything back on the car loosely to sell. Last weekend I pulled the engine (which wasn't bolted in) and box and stripped the engine down to find a distinct lack of Pistons, Conrods, end caps, timing chain guides etc along with a damaged sump and missing baffle.
My question to you E Type aficionados is can I use the engine internals from the early XJ/Daimler Double 6 saloon V12's to rebuild my engine with? As the price for new conrods is working out at £3500, sump around £1350 and baffle around £350 and going to really eat into my budget.
Thanks all in advance.
Dave.
I am new to E Type ownership although not new to classics having restored a Triumph Stag from the ground up. I have recently taken delivery of an S3 V12 with matching numbers that I have imported from the USA in need of full restoration. Being an Arizona car showing 90k miles (possibly 190K?) with 1 owner all it's life there is no rust at all. So realistically I believed that all it needs is paint, interior and a few sundry items.... or so I thought.
Having got the car home I have begun to strip her. It looks like someone in the US has started to strip her down already to restore her but abandoned the project after having bought a few new pieces. They have then just placed everything back on the car loosely to sell. Last weekend I pulled the engine (which wasn't bolted in) and box and stripped the engine down to find a distinct lack of Pistons, Conrods, end caps, timing chain guides etc along with a damaged sump and missing baffle.
My question to you E Type aficionados is can I use the engine internals from the early XJ/Daimler Double 6 saloon V12's to rebuild my engine with? As the price for new conrods is working out at £3500, sump around £1350 and baffle around £350 and going to really eat into my budget.
Thanks all in advance.
Dave.