#1 generator upgrade wiring question
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:39 am
Hi I'm new & happy to be here.
I need some help. I have a 66 OTS that I bought in 2000 pieces. Took 3 years to put it together. It came with a generator which I replaced with an SI 10 type alternator ( Champion brand) Since this alternator has an internal voltage regulator I didn't wire the external voltage regulator that came with the car into the circuitry. I wired as follows: bat+ to the amp gauge, S1 to the idiot light & S2 to the common terminal. Wires are of suitable gauge to carry the current from the alternator at max output. Everything seems to work properly Do I need that external voltage regulator? Have I created a fire hazard?
Any advice would be appreciated
I need some help. I have a 66 OTS that I bought in 2000 pieces. Took 3 years to put it together. It came with a generator which I replaced with an SI 10 type alternator ( Champion brand) Since this alternator has an internal voltage regulator I didn't wire the external voltage regulator that came with the car into the circuitry. I wired as follows: bat+ to the amp gauge, S1 to the idiot light & S2 to the common terminal. Wires are of suitable gauge to carry the current from the alternator at max output. Everything seems to work properly Do I need that external voltage regulator? Have I created a fire hazard?
Any advice would be appreciated