Sad news

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Rosco P
Great Britain

#1 Sad news

Post by Rosco P » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:57 pm

It is with great sadness that I join you on this forum as I have recently lost my father and being his only child have inherited his 1973 series 3 e type I intend to live on his legacy and continue to continue his tradition of only taking out for small runs in the middle of summer before returning it to be kept away with the family's best silverware ! One of the hardest parts being that the car had been away having small odds and sods sorted out before he had fallen ill and unfortunately had passed without even getting to see it again! I intend to drive it to his funeral as I think he would of smiled if I had told him whilst he was still with us and maybe I thought I could raise a few people willing to do a e type drive past send off for him once I have a date for it. Michael Haselwood of Rugby worked on the jaguar production line and worked on assembling many e types and most likely the one that he owned so I feel he was a part of many of the cars that we now rarely see if anyone is interested please contact me I can't tell you how much he meant to me and he will be missed I feel as if I could give him a send of that he would be proud of me for many thanks for taking the time to read this post
Ross Haselwood
rosshaselwood@hotmail.com

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Apprentice1975
Australia

#2 Re: Sad news

Post by Apprentice1975 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:19 am

Hi Ross
I'm sorry to hear the sad news of your Fathers passing and send you my sincere condolences.
If I could I would volunteer to be part of a drive by send off but there are two reasons I can't.
One is that I live in Australia and the other is that my series 3 is fully stripped down.
These special old cars certainly carry many different memories for many different people.
For me, I was an apprentice mechanic in the 1970's where I got to know e types. Hence my forum name.
I always told myself I would get one someday. And finally my dream came true with a S3 which I imported from UK a few years ago.
When I'm working on my 'labour of love' I often think back to those mechanics who I was working for, there names and what we did as went about our daily work . It was always a buzz when an e type came into the garage for service and repairs. So many memories which bring a smile to my face as I go about my own personal e type journey.
I really hope you get a few people driving their pieces of motoring history who can attend
the drive by.
Good luck.
Regards,
Colin
Colin
my project - XKE Series 3 2+2 manual coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Sad news

Post by cactusman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:37 am

Oh heavens....what can one say. On behalf of us all here on the forum, my deepest sympathies to you and all your family for your loss.
We welcome you to the forum and look forward to meeting you and your car at some future events.

Hopefully there will be folk willing to fulfil your wish and organise some sort of send off. Given the current covid restrictions it may not be easy as there are strict limits on attendance at funerals and non essential travel is not allowed. In normal times im pretty certain you would have quite a number of cars.....i would be there....but given long distance non essential travel is not allowed you may be limited to those within a few miles of your location....large numbers of e types would attract attention and not all police are terribly understanding, as has been highlighted on the news. Quite rightfully they wade in to parties but they have been heavy handed with dog walkers!

Post details of the date....maybe contact the local police for advice....we would love to help with a send off to remember but we need to be mindful not to fall foul of covid rules.

Meantime once again so sorry for your loss. However I'm sure your dad would want you to enjoy the car....March 15th marks the 60th anniversary of the launch of the 3.8.....the day the world's heart missed a beat as.Quentin Willson once put it :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Rosco P
Great Britain

#4 Re: Sad news

Post by Rosco P » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:39 am

Thank you guys for your messages it has been so hard to come to terms with what has happened and during these times of a new covid world order I see that it is going to be difficult to achieve the send off that he deserves but I will definitely seek advise on how even a handful of e types could make my dads send off a day for all to remember, my dad was on the jaguar production line between 1972 and 1976 before losing his first wife to cancer and he only returned to the jaguar scene in 1999 when he brought his very own series 3 roadster 5.3 v12 in Primrose yellow the car was a big shock at first as this bright yellow car turned up outside our house on the back of a low loader but my dad being my dad had secretly brought the car that was in a garage in Alabama and had managed to maintain his composure until its arrival it's a beautiful car is an amazing condition for its age and with only 30k on the clock it's not even considered run in! The only 2 issues I ever pointed out to my dad was the fact it was a left hooker and it had the horrible black outrigger bumber bars on that I think we're compulsory for the American market. I thank you once again for you reading my post and I will certainly let you know when the date is set and what options we have I am only 34 and feel as if I may of lost my father but through is love of a car may meet many men who share the same love and certainly look forward to raising a ale in his name when we are able to do so , thanks again Ross Haselwood

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#5 Re: Sad news

Post by cactusman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:26 am

Left hooker is not much of an issue....makes overtaking a bit more tricky but the e has such huge torque acceleration is rapid. You may pay a little more for insurance. Conversion is,of course, eminently possible but far from cheap! The horrible black monstrosities can be removed fairly easily and tasteful UK spec one fitted :bigrin: Keep us posted....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#6 Re: Sad news

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:36 pm

Rosco P wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:57 pm
..to continue his tradition of only taking out for small runs in the middle of summer before returning it to be kept away with the family's best silverware !
Sorry to hear of your loss, but there's a way you can honour your dad, benefit the car and have fun.....do NOT only take it out for short runs.'

V12s are big engines and take long time to get completely up to temp (far longer than the gauge takes to register normal temp). I think more V12s have died from sludge than blow-up. Summer-only is fine, infrequent use is fine (though both are a pity IMO) but short runs are not fine. Conditions and routes vary, but if you only drive occasionally drive it, make sure it's at least 30-ish miles, including some hard work. Only then can you be sure that the car is suffering internally as little as possible while it waits for its next exercise.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#7 Re: Sad news

Post by cactusman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:25 pm

:yeahthat: nothing puts a smile on my face like driving my E type!
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic