Hi! Owner to be? Any tips on numbers matching series 2 2+2?

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
crazzmc
United States of America

#1 Hi! Owner to be? Any tips on numbers matching series 2 2+2?

Post by crazzmc » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:23 pm

Hey everyone!

Decided to sign up and figured I'd introduce myself with some questions about a e type I'm about to look at. Been scouring the web to find out any information I can on XKEs. I've loved how they look for quite a while and finally may have the means to purchase one.

I found a numbers matching 2 owner Primrose Cinnamon Interior Series 2 2+2 manual with about 60k miles. Its local and I just wanted to know if there were any tips or red flags I should look out for. I've been tinkering with old Americans, but this is the first time I'm going back to my roots for a British vehicle. I'm going to see it this week and wanted to be as prepared as possible.

I looked at XKEdata and will check the vin in person but if there's any other resources or things I should look for on the vehicle it would be super appreciated! Also what would be your ballpark valuation on this? Paint seems okay in the pictures, but they are a bit dated.

Thanks in advance for all your guidance! Hopefully this time next week I'll be an owner :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Hi! Owner to be? Any tips on numbers matching series 2 2+2?

Post by mgcjag » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:08 pm

I can see that your IP is in the US so where is the car your looking at.....US market and US spec car is priced very different to a UK spec car....you should get an idea of valuation by comparing similar spec cars.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
crazzmc
United States of America

#3 Re: Hi! Owner to be? Any tips on numbers matching series 2 2+2?

Post by crazzmc » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:49 am

In the us. Yeah I’ve seen quite a bit of variance in price. Mostly between automatic and manual series 2 2+2. Just was wondering specifically about any flags or somethings I should pay extra attention to.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#4 Re: Hi! Owner to be? Any tips on numbers matching series 2 2+2?

Post by tinworm » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:58 am

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope your viewing of your Etype goes OK. The big thing to be aware of is rust. Check the boot (trunk) floor, bottoms of doors , sills (rockers in US parlance) rear wheel arches, floors (although the 2+2 is tougher in this regard) .Check front frames very carefully around the engine. Any cracks/rust and the frame is likely scrap - this is not necessarily a deal breaker but the frames are very expensive to replace and if damaged will affect the price of the car. Check the engine number and see if it tallies with the data plate stamping - if not at least check the engine is an E-type engine and not from any other Jag.
Others here will give you a few tips I am sure

Barrie
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: Hi! Owner to be? Any tips on numbers matching series 2 2+2?

Post by mgcjag » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:16 am

Hi Again...whats your name...please try to post it in the signature area.....basic stuff to check really as already mentioned....rust is the big enemy.....price wise.....basically twin carbs and auto cheapest......and tripple SU carbs and manual (stick shift) costing more. ...check out the interior is it leather as would be the norm....or been retrimmed in pvc......there is a good US forum..JagLovers....with a very good E type section....well worth you making contact and possibly someone local who could advise and view with you........post photos of the car here you will get all the good/ bad issues pointed out.....all the best...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#6 Re: Hi! Owner to be? Any tips on numbers matching series 2 2+2?

Post by malcolm » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:46 am

As Steve said, I'd get hold of Jag Lovers and try to get someone to come out with you.
I had an expert help me with viewing, and the comparatively small cost saved me a fortune.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic