E-Type rookie in Denmark, with a project, 63 3.8 FHC LHD

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
No Quarter
Denmark

#1 E-Type rookie in Denmark, with a project, 63 3.8 FHC LHD

Post by No Quarter » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:02 am

Hi all. I know a bit about restoring cars, I have done a few musclecars, DeTomasos and lately two XJ6. But this is my first E-Type, and I’ve bought a project that’s totally in pieces. Previous owner had it for 12 years, he took it apart and bought a few parts. The next step was to fix the rust, and he never got to that. Thankfully the rust was concentrated in the bottom and the rocker panels, not a lot in the “frame” and the shiny curvy bits. I’ve now during this summer repaired all the rust, and I am ready to move on. And here a bit of advice would be appreciated...

I will fix the engine next, it looks in good shape with very little wear, but it has to be done of course, bearings, gaskets, head examined. But I’m not sure how far I should take this project. Fixing rust and building engines are what I do best. All the small fiddly stuff, including it needs a new wiring loom, I can do it, but I guess an experienced E-Type guy will be able to do it twice as fast and probably better. Looking at mobile.de I saw projects for sale in much worse shape than mine, so I’ve just put an ad in, but no interest so far.

If nothing happens, I’ll just keep working, but I have other projects as well, so it may take years before it’s finished. Unless there's appetite out there for a good straight project that needs a lot of work, but the rust is fixed.

Thanks for reading this far. When I get to the more E-Type-unique things, I know where to ask questions :bigrin:
Mikael
63 E-Type, 81 XJ6, 03 X-Type, 07 XKR
09 CTS-V
78 Longchamp
Author of "Tuning Made Easy"
https://www.amazon.com/Tuning-Made-Easy ... 373&sr=8-1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: E-Type rookie in Denmark, with a project, 63 3.8 FHC LHD

Post by mgcjag » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:43 am

Hi..welcom to the forum...please put your name in the signature area with your car models......sounds like youve got the hard work done.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gehawe
Germany

#3 Re: E-Type rookie in Denmark, with a project, 63 3.8 FHC LHD

Post by gehawe » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:18 am

Hello and welcome,

Recently I read in a German oldtimer magazine about a person that is specialized in new wiring looms. He might have done E-Types before.

Best regards

Gerhard
Home of the Blue Lucy - Series 3 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic