New member here with project and front seat question

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
chadly_t
United States of America

#1 New member here with project and front seat question

Post by chadly_t » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:02 pm

Hello,

I picked up a 2+2 4-speed car in fair condition, with toggle switches on the dash and uncovered headlights, what's sometimes called a series 1.25. This is a nice project for my son and I to do, although we will turn the difficult stuff over to professionals.

I am envisioning restoring this car to be a bit higher-performing than stock, with a couple of safety modifications made. For instance, I had 3-point shoulder belts with retractors made up and welded into the car.

My next thought is to get a pair of front seats with higher backrests, to make them more comfortable and safer.

Can anyone share any advice on what they've done for retrofitting different front seats?

I know there are brackets available to fit MX-5 seats, but being in the US its hard for me to get a pair with adjustable headrests. I think the tombstone MX-5 seats probably wouldn't look right in an E-type, although maybe I am wrong on that.

I approached Moss Jaguar, as I really liked the looks of their sport seats, but, sadly, it would be difficult and expensive to get these shipped to me. They in fact suggested I solicit this forum for help with this.

Any ideas on what I could do would be much appreciated. My goal would be something that would not look completely out of place, while offering better support.

Chad
1967 E-Type S1.25 2+2
1989 Porsche 911 Targa

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: New member here with project and front seat question

Post by Gfhug » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:10 pm

Chad, welcome to the forum. A friend has fitted tombstone MX5 seats to his S1 OTS and they look ok, different but ok. Maybe look at what you can find in the US and consider the options.

Good luck

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: New member here with project and front seat question

Post by mgcjag » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:37 pm

Hi Chad...welcom to ths forum.....yes as i understand mx5 ( Miata) seperate headreast seats are diffucult to obtain in the US....lots of infor here on mx5 seats and on the US Jaglovers forum...i know some in the US have imported from UK Europe....dont forget you existing seats are valuable so will easily offset the cost of mx5 seats and recovering.....all the best....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#4 Re: New member here with project and front seat question

Post by vee12eman » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:01 am

Hi,

Does anyone have any pictures of the “Tombstone” seats installed? It’s not only USA where separate headrest units are not available…
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: New member here with project and front seat question

Post by mgcjag » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:04 am

Would it be possible to cut down the "toombstone" then add a movable headreast.....if the others arnt available worth looking at.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#6 Re: New member here with project and front seat question

Post by politeperson » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:07 am

I have fitted Tombstones. They are quite tall and only just clear the headliner on a Coupe.

These are MGTF seats, bolted directly though the floor on the original seat captives. The bottom cushion is removable to allow fitment.

They have been positioned as far back as possible and as low as possible to allow those who are 6ft. The MG red is the same a Jaguar red by the way. The black would match too.

Attachments
MGTF Seats.jpg
MGTF Seats.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
chadly_t
United States of America

#7 Re: New member here with project and front seat question

Post by chadly_t » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:20 pm

Wow, those MGTF seats look great to me. Just what I was thinking. Did you use the Jaguar adjusters or the MG adjusters?

I will look to see if its easier to import a pair of these seats instead.
Chad
1967 E-Type S1.25 2+2
1989 Porsche 911 Targa

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#8 Re: New member here with project and front seat question

Post by politeperson » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:53 pm

I didn't use any runners. I removed them.

This is because the seats had to be adjusted all the way back and down to the max for me at 6ft tall, so no point.

I just extended the seat base with the runners removed and drilled holes to match the spacing on the captive nuts in the floor pressing.

The foam and base lift off the frame so you fit the 4 bolts with the cover off then add the seat covers after the frame is secure.

The seats are so far back they are touching the rear bulkhead. That is still only just enough for me to be comfortable.

They are also now so so far down the cushion is below the height of the sill.

That gives enough clearance between the bottom of the steering wheel and the seat base so I can get in and out easily.

Of course it doesn't matter so much where the passenger seat is as they dont have to negotiate a steering wheel or reach the pedals.

They were all Hobbits in the 1960's. 50 years of steroids in your beef and we have all grown somewhat, I am sure.

I fitted new seat covers on stock Series 1 seats 2 months ago on another car. They made the seat base so high I could only just get in and out. My head was only an inch off the roof lining as well which is very dangerous.

I had to remove the seats, remove the cover, remove the foam and take 3 inches off then refit it all. II is now easy to get in and out, I dont bang my head and it is a much more natural seating position with loads of room inside the cockpit.

It is amazing how much difference these small adjustments make.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#9 Re: New member here with project and front seat question

Post by Series1 Stu » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:01 pm

chadly_t wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:20 pm
Wow, those MGTF seats look great to me. Just what I was thinking. Did you use the Jaguar adjusters or the MG adjusters?

I will look to see if its easier to import a pair of these seats instead.
If you're considering importing seats then you can currently get a pair of MX5 seats with separate headrests on eBay UK for around £80. You'll probably want to re-upholster them anyway. I would expect the shipping costs to be quite high though, especially if you need the courier to take care of packing, import duties, etc

I've bought a couple of such pairs of MX5 seats recently so they are out there. Patience is mandatory.

Good luck.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#10 Re: New member here with project and front seat question

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:53 pm

I've been watching some MX5 seats on eBay and just received an offer to buy a pair, with runners, for £54. Collection only deal, I'm afraid.
You could arrange a courier to collect though.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic